Boy Scouts of America
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is one of the largest youth organizations in the United States, with 2.7 million youth members and over 1 million adult volunteers. Since its founding in 1910 as part of the international Scout Movement, more than 110 million Americans have been members of the BSA. The Boy Scouts currently prohibits “avowed” gay and lesbian children and adults from participation, citing its principle to be “morally straight.” On May 23, 2013, 61% of the 1,400-member BSA National Council voted to remove the restriction denying membership to youth on the basis of sexual orientation. The resolution will go into effect on January 1, 2014. Scout leaders who are “open and avowed homosexuals” are still prohibited. Gay rights groups hailed the decision, but vowed to press on until all gay members are accepted.
- Friday, May 27, 2016Gates finished his two-year term by arguing the Scouts had overcome that challenge and were ready to reverse years of membership declines.
- Friday, April 15, 2016"The once great Boy Scouts of America has taken a great fall."
- Saturday, February 27, 2016Faith Lutheran Church has notified the Boy Scouts that its beliefs no longer align with the church and that it will need a new location by June 1.
- Saturday, February 20, 2016Troubled for years by scouting's anti-gay policies, the usually quiet kid decided to honor Chicago’s gay community, including young people made homeless when their families pushed them out.
- Sunday, December 13, 2015The Boy Scouts revised rules emphasizing a duty to God and banning political advocacy, has a Utah organizer who applied for a troop with gay leaders wondering if applications like his are targeted.
- Monday, November 16, 2015It's likely a side effect of tension between the Scouts and the Mormon church.
- Wednesday, August 26, 2015Church leaders decided to stay with the Boy Scouts -- but only after getting assurances they can appoint troop leaders according to their own religious values.
- Monday, August 24, 2015Gordon Klingenschmitt insists he never suggested gay scoutmasters should be drowned at sea.
- Monday, August 17, 2015"They’re parading down our streets... and you can see what they’re parading -- it’s horrendous."
- Sunday, August 9, 2015The Presbyterian church is dropping its nearly 50-year association with the organization.