U.S. House of Representatives
The United States House of Representatives is one of the two houses of the United States Congress. The major power of the House is to pass federal legislation that affects the entire country although its bills must also be passed by the Senate and further agreed to by the U.S. President before becoming law (unless both the House and Senate re-pass the legislation with a two-thirds majority in each chamber). Each U.S. state is represented in the House in proportion to its population but is entitled to at least one representative. [ Website ] [ Wikipedia ]
- Tuesday, May 19, 2015The Therapeutic Fraud Prevention Act would be the first federal law to protect LGBT people from being defrauded by promises that they can change their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Thursday, May 14, 2015U.S. Rep. Jackie Speier is calling for an investigation into the potentially unfair or deceptive claims and advertising practices of therapists who administer so-called “conversion therapy.”
- Sunday, April 26, 2015U.S. Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) is banding with other lawmakers to introduce a resolution seeking to protect LGBT Americans from discrimination under federal law as religious objection bills in other states have prompted protests.
- Thursday, April 23, 2015Less than a week before the U.S. Supreme Court plans to hear arguments over the constitutionality of same-sex marriage bans, a GOP lawmaker has introduced legislation to strip federal courts of their power to interpret the…
- Monday, April 20, 2015The resolution was introduced by Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.), who said the law, signed by Mayor Muriel Bowser, would infringe upon the religious rights of faith-based schools.
- Saturday, February 21, 2015Republican lawmaker Tim Huelskamp of Kansas has introduced a resolution in the U.S. House that proposes amending the Constitution so that only marriages between one man and one woman are legal.
- Friday, February 13, 2015A U.S. House committee on Wednesday blocked two measures that would have provided protections for LGBT students as part of an education reform bill.
- Thursday, February 12, 2015Kristin Beck, a transgender former Navy SEAL, is planning a primary challenge to the second-ranking Democrat in the House, U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer.
- Wednesday, February 11, 2015U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz has re-introduced the State Marriage Defense Act, a bill that would require the federal government to recognize only marriages that are valid under the laws of the state in which a couple…
- Friday, February 6, 2015U.S. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Thursday he doesn’t expect House Republicans will weigh in on same-sex marriage when the U.S. Supreme Court considers the issue this Spring.