A civil union, also referred to as a civil partnership, is a legally recognized form of partnership similar to marriage. Civil unions are not seen as a replacement for marriage by many in the gay community, and are commonly criticised as being “separate but equal.” Marriage equality advocates say civil unions segregate same-sex couples by forcing them to use a separate institution.
- Thursday, May 12, 2016Italy was the last of the European Union's 28 nations to grant legal recognition to civil unions.
- Saturday, February 27, 2016Gay and lesbian groups denounced the watered-down legislation as a betrayal because Renzi’s Democratic Party sacrificed a provision to allow same-sex adoption in order to ensure passage.
- Thursday, June 11, 2015The motion commits the government "to promote the adoption of a law on civil unions, particularly with regard to the condition of the people of same sex".
- Wednesday, June 3, 2015Along with being the first legal recognition of a same-sex relationship in Central America, the decision could set an example for judges elsewhere in the country to recognize gay relationships and even adoption.
- Thursday, March 19, 2015Costa Rica will put forth a plan this week to allow civil unions between same-sex couples in the Central American nation.
- Wednesday, March 11, 2015Lawmaker Carlos Bruce said he was disappointed a representative of the Catholic Church, "apparently lacking arguments, now resorts to insults.”
- Wednesday, January 28, 2015Chile's Congress on Wednesday approved the country's first law authorizing civil unions between same-sex couples.
- Wednesday, January 21, 2015Colorado won't address some legal questions about civil unions pending a ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court on gay marriage. The state currently allows both same-sex marriage and civil unions.
- Thursday, October 23, 2014ROME -- Silvio Berlusconi is pushing for the legalization of civil unions between gays in Italy, but not same-sex marriage. In Rome, where politicians are sensitive to Vatican policy, the leader of Italy's largest center-right party…