I don’t believe I understood how much I was holding inside of me, until I no longer had to hold on to it any longer.
When Pete Williams of MSNBC announced that DOMA, the federal Defense of Marriage Act, was dead, I broke into tears. Not just a few tears – I couldn’t stop them from coming. It was in that moment that I realized that in the eyes of my government, I am no longer a second class citizen.
I thought how great it will be to write of positive things and positive change and how wonderful it will be to take pictures of friend’s weddings instead of pictures at marriage equality rallies.
My bliss remains intact, however, as if to remind me that my work – and our collective work – is far from over.
These little tidbits came my way after the Supreme Court decisions, from the haters who love to demean and make themselves feel big and important by spreading their ignorance and hate:
- If a person was diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, could the dominant personality marry the weaker personalities and get a marriage tax break? Claim them as dependents? List them as beneficiaries on their life insurance?
- The Supreme Court may be opening the door for same-sex marriage, but I will not stop criticizing it until it becomes legal for a man to marry a goat. If men having sex with men is normal now, then goat sex should be allowed (obviously this is sarcasm at its best…to a point.. I am less repulsed by goat sex than I am a man having carnal knowledge with another man)
- I have a scientific question for you. If it is even possible for a homosexual to be born that way, isn’t it fair to say that a pedophile is born that way too?
- Every single member of the U.S. Supreme Court are either Catholic or Jewish, no exceptions. Someone explain to me how men and women who belong to two different faiths but share the same core value system can approve of ANYTHING when it comes to sexual deviants. I’m tired of calling them GAY, gay used to mean happy… sexual Deviant or Pervert is fine with me.
- My mother scolded me for calling my niece and her gay…oops I mean sexual deviant partner, fruitloops. I do this because she and her husband/wife like to kiss each other at the dinner table and there are children sitting there. If I said what I really wanted to say a firestorm would ensue. Instead I call them fruitloops, they don’t like it but tough… they made the choice to be fruity now they can live with the consequences of their actions… its called being an adult
- I am not comparing homosexuality to pedophile, but mark my words, the barn door I open and their is no closing it, NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association) will make a move and will cite the rights given to gays as a reason to invoke the equal protection clause of the Constitution. They will not succeed at first but neither did gay marriage, but eventually every perverted sick and twisted sexual deviant is about to ask for “their” rights. The transgender and transsexual freaks are already beating their war drums…
There are some people who will never, ever accept that we in the LGBT community are human beings deserving of love, happiness, freedom and equality.
For whatever their reasons — and they have many — it is simply the way some people will be. There will always be racists and bigots. Always.
So stand tall and know you deserve all things good in this world.
You don’t need anyone to tell you that. It must come from within. You must know and not allow anyone to take it away from you.
Not the Pope, not the Mormons, not Tony Perkins and his Family Research Council, not Dan Cathy and his freakin Chick-Fil-A . Let no one take away who you are – and who the United States Government now recognizes as deserving of the right to marry the person you love.
Celebrate our victory, but remain ever vigilant my friends… ever vigilant. For the haters are everywhere.