The U.S. Department of State, often referred to as the State Department, is the U.S. federal executive department responsible for international relations of the United States, equivalent to the foreign ministry of other countries. The Department was created in 1789 and was the first executive department established. The current Secretary of State is John F. Kerry.
- Wednesday, September 30, 2015She strongly opposed the State Department's decision to swap out “mother” and “father" for “parent one” and “parent two” on passport applications.
- Monday, February 23, 2015The United States named its first international envoy for gay rights Monday, tasking a veteran diplomat with leading U.S. efforts to fight violence and discrimination against LGBT individuals overseas.
- Friday, February 6, 2015The U.S. Department of State will announce the appointment later this month of a special envoy to advocate for the rights of LGBT people overseas.
- Thursday, December 11, 2014As the U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam, Ted Osius is the seventh openly LGBT person named as an ambassador under the Obama administration.
- Monday, November 24, 2014DAKAR, Senegal -- The U.S. State Department has condemned the decision by Gambia's president to approve a law imposing life imprisonment for some homosexual acts.
- Saturday, June 21, 2014WASHINGTON -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that the Department of State "joins the world in celebrating LGBT Pride Month" and reaffirms its commitment to the promotion and protection of the human rights…
- Thursday, June 19, 2014WASHINGTON -- The U.S. is imposing visa bans on Ugandan officials who are involved in corruption and are violating the rights of gay people and others. The Obama administration did not identify the targeted officials.
- Saturday, June 14, 2014BOSTON -- As the nation celebrates National LBGT Pride Month, U.S. Sen. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.), chairman of the Foreign Relations Subcommittee on International Development and Foreign Assistance, on Friday introduced legislation that would affirm LGBT…
- Saturday, May 17, 2014President Barack Obama has nominated Ted Osius as the next Ambassador to Vietnam, the White House has announced.
- Wednesday, February 26, 2014WASHINGTON -- America's top diplomat predicted that the U.S. Supreme Court would strike down an anti-gay proposal in Arizona if it ever becomes law and called Wednesday on the state's governor to "make the right decision"…