The Episcopal Church (also officially known as the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America) is a mainline Anglican Christian denomination found mainly in the United States. The Church supports full civil equality for gays and lesbians, and the Church’s General Convention has passed resolutions that allow for same-sex marriages in states in which it is legal. [ Wikipedia → ]
- Saturday, January 16, 2016Presiding Bishop Michael Curry said Friday the U.S. Episcopal Church will not roll back its acceptance of gay marriage despite sanctions imposed this week by Anglican leaders.
- Monday, January 11, 2016Officials from the Church of England are bracing for a split after next week's summit to discuss the issue of homosexuality.
- Wednesday, July 1, 2015Episcopalians overwhelmingly voted Wednesday to allow religious weddings for same-sex couples, solidifying the church's embrace of gay rights that began more than a decade ago with the pioneering election of the first openly gay bishop.
- Wednesday, July 1, 2015Episcopalians are set to vote Wednesday on allowing religious weddings for same-sex couples, just days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage nationwide.
- Saturday, October 18, 2014BOSTON -- Thomas Shaw, a gay monk who served as bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts for nearly two decades and championed Palestinian, minority and other causes, has died. He was 69.
- Tuesday, August 5, 2014PITTSBURGH — The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh says its clergy may sign marriage certificates between same-sex couples. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Monday that the rule is spelled out in a recent letter from Bishop Dorsey McConnell.…
- Sunday, May 4, 2014NEW YORK -- The first openly gay Episcopal bishop, who became a symbol for gay rights far beyond the church while deeply dividing the world's Anglicans, plans to divorce his husband.
- Tuesday, November 26, 2013PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh's Episcopal bishop has decided to let local priests decide whether they will conduct blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples.
- Monday, October 28, 2013WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The first openly gay bishop of the Episcopal Church told a Purdue University audience he believes God is leading people to a deeper understanding of homosexuality.
- Wednesday, January 16, 2013The pastor of the Episcopal parish known as "the church of the presidents" will give the benediction at President Barack Obama's inauguration.