Pride

‘Invisible majority’ celebrates bisexual pride day worldwide

Monday, September 23, 2013

Bisexual members of the LGBT community on Monday are celebrating the 15th Annual International Celebrate Bisexuality Day — also referred to as “Bi Pride Day” or “Bi Visibility Day” — to encourage bisexuals and their allies to be visible and proud of their bi identity.

Bisexual PrideThe annual occasion raises awareness about bisexuality, educates the community about bisexual issues, and encourages bisexual people and their allies to be visible and proud of the bisexual identity.

Bisexuality is one of the three main classifications of sexual orientation along with heterosexuality and homosexuality, and is used in the context of human attraction or sexual feelings toward both men and women.

A bisexual identity does not necessarily equate to equal sexual attraction to both sexes; commonly, people who have a distinct but not exclusive sexual preference for one sex over the other also identify themselves as bisexual.

Often referred to as the “invisible majority,” several studies indicate that self-identified bisexuals make up the largest single population within the LGBT community in the United States. In each study, more women identified as bisexual than lesbian, and fewer men identified as bisexual than gay.

In a 2010 study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine found that among adults (5,042 respondents), 3.1 percent self-identified as bisexual, compared to 2.5 percent who self-identified as either gay or lesbian.

And despite the overwhelming data that bisexuals exist, other people’s assumptions often render bisexuals invisible. Two women holding hands are read as “lesbian,” two men as “gay,” and a man and a woman as “straight.” In reality, any of these people might be bisexual, perhaps all of them.

The first bisexual pride day is said to have occurred in 1990 when the city of San Francisco proclaimed Bi Pride Day in honor of the 1990 Conference on Bisexuality.

Since 1999, “Bi Pride Day” has been held yearly on September 23, and was the brainchild of three United States bisexual rights activists: Wendy Curry of Maine, Michael Page of Florida, and Gigi Raven Wilbur of Texas.

Organizations and individuals have marked the occasion with film festivals, community forums on various issues important to the community, drag shows, art displays, performance events, and other celebrations.

Events celebrating Bi Pride Day are scheduled in many major U.S. cities and elsewhere the world. BiNetUSA has a partial list.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. I like their flag :)

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:36pm
  2. I am Bisexual and I am PROUD :)

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:40pm
  3. Bi-pride 2013!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:42pm
  4. I’m glad we have our own day. Bisexual people are a minority within a minority that are treated as such. I’ve had to deal with many gay people personally judging or treating me badly for my sexuality, saying that it harms theirs. (The funny thing is, one of those gay guys was a nationwide humiliated racist). It is a shame that we must experience hatred from every group of people when we long for the same thing all LGBT people do. To all of my brethren, stay strong, we will find a place for ourselves in this world.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:46pm
  5. I’ve never been proud to be bisexual. That wasn’t a choice or ab achievement like everyone accuses me of. What I am proud of is that I found the courage to be out after facing physical and emotional persecution for my state of existence.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:47pm
  6. Thank you sir

Replied on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 10:11pm
  7. FFFFF everyone who doesn't accept you

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 6:57am
  8. bisexual and proud. Hells yea

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:49pm
  9. :3 :3 Let’s go Celebrate :3

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 3:56pm
  10. I live my life as I see fit. I do not need a day recognizing it. I do not need anyone
    ” approving” my life style. I also think as a female it is more ” accepted” than a bisexual male would be. Gay, straight, bi, tran, hem, whatever you are just be proud if you and anyone who does not “approve ( like the are the rights police)” can go pound salt. Just be happy with who you are and who your with =0)

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:01pm
  11. Happy Bisexual Pride Day from Bad Kids Inc. We cherish all of our bisexual friends and family members here. <3

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:01pm
  12. As a lesbian I think the bi community needs this, they get flack from both society AND the lgbt community!!! This is great. :D

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:01pm
  13. This is so awesome! I’m a lesbian but I see how many people in the gay community bash against bisexuals and it’s saddening! We are all human. Love is love!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:04pm
  14. i agree with you.....and i'm STRAIGHT, but support those in the LGBT community....and feel, they should have ALL the SAME RIGHTS as me and other straight people.

Replied on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 9:54pm
  15. yay! thanks guys. i'm bi and as i'm sure you're already aware, there is so much resentment from both the straight and the queer communities toward bisexual people, soo it's nice to hear the acceptance :))

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 6:56am
  16. Nothing will be going on in Russia….and it’s so sad.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:14pm
  17. This is lovely I’m bisexual and proud of it =)

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:19pm
  18. im bisexual and i love it lol :)

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:28pm
  19. Angie Araniva :) today we celebrate you baby <3

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:30pm
  20. Happy Bisexual Pride Day Everyone!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 4:34pm
  21. I find Bisexual men hotter then gay guys cheers guys :D

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:01pm
  22. Yes: the next wave of those to come out!!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:15pm
  23. WHEEEE Go US!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:15pm
  24. Is there a Pansexual day?? If not there needs to be one..but yay for Bisexual pride day non the less! Everyday is a pride day! lol

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:19pm
  25. No. There is no need for a pansexual day

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:28am
  26. Well that's kind of a sad comment lol

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:36am
  27. We already have gay pride day, a trans pride day, and now a bi pride day there is no other credible pride days to be added to the calendar

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:41am
  28. Seriously? That's like saying Pansexual isn't a sexuality..kind of ignorant..pardon my expression but that's just my opinion.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 2:54am
  29. At this rate, the LGBT community is gonna be filled with labels that have no real logical reason for existing.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 5:28am
  30. Pansexuality is just as real and logical as any of the other sexualities, regardless of your small minded opinion.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 6:19am
  31. Pansexual is the same shit as bisexuality

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 7:32am
  32. There is no third gender

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 7:32am
  33. Wrong Arianna there is a third gender. Do some resesrch on Intersex.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 7:55am
  34. I know what intersex is i even dated an intersexed person before. I'm sure that the average intersexed person doesn't consider themselves part of a third gender

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 8:03am
  35. I am a pansexual, it is not the same as bisexuality..bisexuality is someone who would be attracted to male or female..I am a pansexual...I see no gender..I don't care about a person's gender I would date/be in a relationship with/fall in love with anyone...If they are transgendered, transexual, bisexual, gay, straight, an alien I could care less..I am NOT bisexual I am pansexual and it is a sexuality. You can't say otherwise, that is an incredibly closed minded statement that you've made and very offensive..I was actually trying to be silly about it at first but then you turned it into something cruel..such a shame that you'd be apart of this community of open minded people when you are so closed minded yourself.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 3:41pm
  36. I’m bisexual but I prefer guys WAY more!!!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 5:19pm
  37. bahahahaa….this is dumb

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 6:09pm
  38. and just WHY is it DUMB?....just wondering.

Replied on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 9:56pm
  39. He's just jealous that he only likes one sex while we like them both

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:27am
  40. i'm really jealous that you can't figure yourself out and the rest of us have to keep guessing.......bisexual, schMYsexual......'cuz it's ALWAYS about YOU

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 2:41pm
  41. Shame on you, Gregory Pearl.

Replied on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 7:00pm
  42. Good to be part of the group – let’s include everybody – so no one is out in the cold! Together, we are stronger…

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 6:39pm
  43. I am pansexual. Any pansexual celebration day? ^^

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 7:26pm
  44. Happy bi pride to all bisexual brothers and sisters I’m happy to be a bisexual who is attracted to both sexes equally!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:22pm
  45. To my bisexual family. I myself am not bisexual, but you are, and I love you just the way you are.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:32pm
  46. I’m a gay man and think this is great! It’s time for us to stop making jokes about bisexuals and include them in the community of real people!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:34pm
  47. Yay! Its disheartening to see the “B” in LGBT get left out so much

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:48pm
  48. im bisexuall and proud!!!!!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:50pm
  49. Nothing here in Wisconsin.: (

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 8:57pm
  50. We always forget about bisexuals, like they are not real or honest.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 10:09pm
  51. #ProudToBeBi

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 10:11pm
  52. I’m a proud bisexual female.

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 10:43pm
  53. LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2013 at 10:46pm
  54. What do people think the “B” stands for? Bacon?

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 12:08am
  55. It’s about motherfucking time. We earned this due to the unjustified hatred for us that comes from both our heterosexual enemies and our enemies in the so-called LGBT community

Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 1:30am