Michael Brown is an Anti-Gay Monster

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Michael Brown is a preacher with the Coalition of Conscience. He cavorts with Lou Engle, an extremist linked to the “Kill the Gays” bill in Uganda.

Brown’s game is to try inciting followers to possible violence against LGBT people, while innocently maintaining that he loves homosexuals and simply wants them to meet his militant and perverted version of God.

Last weekend, Brown tried to ruin LGBT Pride in Charlotte. He rounded up a large group of “Red Shirts” (aka fundamentalist would-be thugs) and marched on the festival under the smug and self-righteous banner of “God Has a Better Way.” Presumably, his “better way” is converting happy and  loving LGBT people into self-loathing bigots who pray at the altar of discrimination and hate.

Brown is a slick dude. He fully understands that he is imposing on what should be a day of affirmation for LGBT people in North Carolina.

He also knows that many of the people attending Pride in this southern state are victims of anti-gay prejudice, and religion-based bigotry. They come to this annual get together to feel good about themselves and heal old childhood wounds — such as getting bullied, rejected by family, or preached at for their sexual orientation.

Instead of being able to enjoy the weekend, Brown inundates already suffering people with heaping doses of spiritual violence, that I’m quite sure will one day lead to actual violence. I do strongly believe to my core that Brown’s ultimate goal is to create the conditions for a nasty physical clash — in which he will play the victim in the mainstream media, while claiming to be a crusading holy warrior with his incited base.

Indeed, the sick and cynical Brown will likely spin such a brouhaha as a fundamentalist version of Stonewall, where Christians began to fight back in the name of “religious freedom.”

Q-Notes editor Matt Comer has followed Brown’s antics for years and has documented his vile speech which seems, in my view, designed to encourage martyrdom. Here is the typical language Brown uses when he addresses his flock:

After being fired as director of the Brownsville Revival School of Ministry, Brown wrote he was founding the new FIRE School of Ministry and vowed to “continue to pursue the vision that has burned in my heart for many years: to raise up a holy army of uncompromising, Spirit-filled radicals who will shake an entire generation with the gospel of Jesus-by life or by death” (emphasis added).

I’ve met Brown on two occasions and I have spoken to him. It is my view that he has a messiah complex and is a diabolical individual who aims to manipulate impressionable followers to launch some sort of holy war. Of course, he’s too much of a coward to start the war himself — so he stirs the boiling pot by creating divisive events that just might lead to violence on the part of his followers or a violent response by an LGBT individual — which will offer the opportunity for his Red Shirts to retaliate in the name of “self defense.”

Of course, I’m not claiming that every person in a red shirt at Pride or involved with Brown wants to harm LGBT people.

No doubt, there were well-meaning, yet deceived, individuals that were part of his rude and intolerant invasion squad. However, Brown is a smart man who know how violence works. The madman fully understands that he only has to create a hostile climate to inflame the most unstable of his thugs and they will eventually provoke the type of confrontation that this pathological monster deeply desires.

When Brown’s dream of a brutal clash finally occurs, the blood will be on his hands no matter who throws the first punch or pulls the trigger. After all, Brown is the instigator and is doing everything in his power to bring his twisted dreams to fruition.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Watch out for this man, he’s bad news.

(Here is a loving message from a theocratic thug at Charlotte Pride. Is it possible to have fun and a sense of community when being screamed at by a lunatic?)

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. Jesus may hate me, but Lady Gaga loves me :P No in all seriousness Jesus loves us for us.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:11am
  2. As some at Charlotte Pride I can tell you first hand that his followers were intent on trying to disrupt the event including “street preachers” who screamed in people’s faces – one of which ran over after his “preaching” and high-fived all the children that they brought with them to the event and made witness to their hate

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:18am
  3. This is the face of evil.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:18am
  4. Perhaps these types of things highlight our weaknesses. In other words, perhaps we should have more meetings & get-togethers of a more private nature, first, make us stronger. Perhaps under the current climate in this country we shouldn’t just go out in the streets & parade without expecting a battle of sorts.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:20am
  5. Rick Perry has connections to lou engle. Talk about troubling!!!

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:23am
  6. Karma will deal with these hateful,ignorant people….If they are lucky they might be cacaroaches in the next life….

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:23am
  7. This Disgusts Me … Smh …

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:28am
  8. A cockroach is a noble creature compared to these creeps

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:28am
  9. For the love of his Holiness The Dalai Lama!!!! That bloody monster Michael Brown must be stopped!!!!

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:31am
  10. ok so someone should pick him off..problem solved. Why can’t we gays get some good old fashioned violent crazies too? Oh yeah..all the truly crazy people are on the other side..

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:31am
  11. Is he related to Brian Brown of NOM? There seems to be a lot of interconnection or, dare I say it, inbreeding across such groups and individuals. And they both have that glare that says, “Hello, I’m batsh*t insane.”

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:37am
  12. Are there any laws to stop this? What about harassment, inciting hatred and violence? I dont get it !

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:39am
  13. Anyone who’s closely connected to anyone for the “Kill The Gays” bill will raise many red flags. We don’t need them in office! We want a Democracy, not a theocracy! The GOP is gaining a lot of power in the polls which isn’t a good sign. Obama needs to get 2nd term!

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:41am
  14. Ever notice how only extremist Christians have the national spotlight, while so-called moderates are nowhere to be seen or heard, nor is their acceptance acceptable?

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 9:56am
  15. As always this bigoted fucktards seem to know all the verses of the bible expect this one LOVE ONE ANOTHER. I’m so sick of these assholes twisting stuff around for their own evil means. This guy is DANGEROUS to the extreme! He is like the WestBuro Baptist church only 10 times worse since he advocate VIOLENCE against LGBTQ people! Yeah Jesus totally said KILL ALL GAY PEOPLE!…NOT!

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 10:17am
  16. Oh and I forgot to add. I bet he is in the closet and needs to come out!

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 10:18am
  17. SIMPLE MINDS are always easy access for hatred…

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 11:08am
  18. Eccl. 6:13 “Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight which he hath made crooked?”

I can use the Bible bullies’ best weapon against them.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 12:03pm
  19. @Mark- we are starting to speak up.LOUDLY. I was at Charlotte Pride specifically to stand in opposition to Brown. LGBTQnation carried my posts and here they are on my blog: http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/2011/08/31/street-preachersscreechers-pride-charlotte/ and http://canyonwalkerconnections.com/2011/08/31/god-has-a-better-way-dont-stand-in-the-path-of-it/ part three will be out today.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 1:14pm
  20. Lou Engle was in the documentary “Jesus Camp.” He showed up at a kid’s camp to talk to kids about abortion being sin and murder of babies. That should never been mentioned to a group where campers were even below the age of puberty.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 2:07pm
  21. I met Brown at the Charlotte Pride event. I was went to support my friend Kathy Baldock and this man knows how to twist things with such a sincere and heartfelt delivery. He is an expert at it, but he is just a big fish in a mud puddle. I hope he stays there. The disconnection between what he claimed he saw and how things really looked are very different. He knows how to sound compassionate, dripping with heart-felt sincerity, but he is a skilled manipulator of facts and events. If he was as heart-broken when he met me, as he claims in this short clip from his radio broadcast, then he also knows how to act. He was delighted to run into me, as evidenced by his happy grin. He implies that all the information he shares about me resulted from this encounter. Not so. He is quoting from the exchange we had on the GHABW Facebook page. You be the judge— See/listen media file in my post at http://www.lisainbc.blogspot.com

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 2:47pm
  22. I’m all for freedom of speech, but shut the hell up. And worry about your own damned sole.

Posted on Sunday, September 4, 2011 at 4:50pm
  23. monster all around

Posted on Monday, September 5, 2011 at 6:20am
  24. Erica, I agree about the freedom of speech, but I also think that rabid dogs need to be put down as quickly as possible before they bite someone and infect them. It’s the civilized thing to do.

Posted on Monday, September 5, 2011 at 7:44am
  25. Wow, doesn’t this guy yelling on this video know he’s headed for an eternity of non-consensual sadomasochism inflicted by his invisible friend’s dungeon master? I mean he’s wearing mixed fabrics, he’s cut his hair and beard and he had the shrimp for lunch. BURN IN HELL, SHRIMP-EATER!!!!!!!!!
    (Yep, that’s the balance of what it says in the REST of the chapter in the “Bible” that TWICE briefly mentions homosexuality in passing. This a$$hole didn’t do the right animal sacrifices before he left home this morning, either. IT’S ALL RIGHT THERE IN Leviticus, READ YER “BIBLES” PEOPLE. No, not the Mac Bible, no, not the Welder’s Bible, the Holy Bible. The Christian one. No, not the Hindu one. NO, NOT THE MUSLIM ONE.)

Posted on Wednesday, September 7, 2011 at 11:45am
  26. Brown is a disgraceful human being, and needs to shut his piehole…

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 1:26pm
  27. As awful and manipulating as Michael Brown is…and I can certainly understand Mr. Besen’s righteous anger…I think this piece still uses unnecessarily inflammatory language. Accusing him of spiritual violence is a legitimate accusation, I think. But,accusing him of being a monster, of dehumanizing him, that’s dangerous in itself…and something that I have been guilty of, myself.

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 8:37pm