National clothing retailer Old Navy launches line of gay pride t-shirts

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Old Navy isn’t the first retail chain to ride the gay pride rainbow wave, but it’s likely the largest.

On Wednesday, Old Navy — owned by Gap, Inc. — is launching a line of gay pride-themed T-shirts sized for men, women, and babies, with 10% of the proceeds going to the It Gets Better Project.

I like the idea of moms, dads, and teens browsing in malls across America and unexpectedly coming across t-shirts emblazoned with the words “Love proudly, Old Navy Pride 2011.”

I’m very impressed by these Old Navy tees promoting love and acceptance to the masses.

A notable list of high-end designers — namely Marc Jacobs and Kenneth Cole — have released limited edition t-shirts in support of marriage equality. But Old Navy is by far the largest retailer to do so.

The limited edition Old Navy pride t-shirt collection, priced at $7.50 to $14.50, includes four designs that are available until June 30th.

Update: The t-shirts are expected to be available in these “select stores” only:

California: Beverly Connection (Los Angeles), Fashion Valley (San Diego), Market St. (San Francisco); Florida: (Orange Blossom Trail (Orlando), Coral Ridge Shopping Center (Fort Lauderdale); Georgia: Buckhead Station (Atlanta); Hawaii: Ala Moana (Honolulu); Illinois: Kingsbury St. (Chicago), State St. (Chicago); Massachusetts: CambridgeSide Place (Cambridge); Minnesota: Mall of America (Bloomington), The Quarry (Minneapolis); Nevada: Turnberry Town Square (Las Vegas); New York: New York Ave (Huntington), Avenue Of The Americas, W. 34Th St., Broadway (New York City); Ohio: Olentangy River Rd (Columbus); Oregon: Lloyd Center (Portland); Pennsylvania: Gallery II (Philadelphia); Texas: Barton Creek (Austin), Dallas Galleria (Dallas), Park Lane (Dallas); Virginia: Tysons Corner Center (Mclean); Washington: Pine St. (Seattle); Wisconsin: Madison East Town Square (Madison).

We have contacted Old Navy to inquire about additional locations and online availability. Stay tuned.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. I am SO glad a major retail store has decided to take part in changing the world for thr better.

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:26pm
  2. *the

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:27pm
  3. Right on!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:29pm
  4. I accknowlege your mistake and affirm your correction. Oh and it is good that the LGBT are now making coathing. Oh and i have siaad it before and i wil say it agian GO BOYS!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:29pm
  5. Wooh whoo!! Major props!! I knew there was a reason i loved this store even though it totally isnt the style of what i wear!! I always end up getting clothes here!! Gay pride all the way!! (take tht mom!!) finally a positive LGBT report!! :D

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:34pm
  6. I don’t usually shop at Old Navy, but I might have to now, if only to get one of these shirts. :)

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:37pm
  7. lovee thiss!!!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:38pm
  8. heck yes i’ll be getting mine this week cause my mom works for old navy

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:44pm
  9. Awesome! Now I just need some money… xD

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 4:57pm
  10. Great idea. Too bad they won’t be available in ALL of their stores :(

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:09pm
  11. This is great but can we have it around for more than a month? :)

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:16pm
  12. not available everywhere, so that sucks!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:27pm
  13. Now i dont hate old navy quite as much :)

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:37pm
  14. anybody know where its available?

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 5:39pm
  15. tuypically not where I shop and I do have a collection of gay oriented T shirts which I wear proudly while walking around with my (F) wife.

I’ve already got old navy on the list to look at this coming week. you should also.

And this is more then just supporting a retailer and sending a message.

it is about being out. its hard to hate someone you know, love and respect.

And so easy to hate ssomeone you don’t know who is kept segregated from you one way or another.

thats what segregation was about in the old south, still filled with people btw who hate gays and of course our president.

And its also related to why hitler put the jews in the ghetto – it was so easy to be convinced to hate people whom you no longer had any contact with. the ghetto was the lead up to the death camps btw.

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 7:10pm
  16. Tyler, call your local stores ask if they carry them. If not ask to speak to the manager and ask them why not and that you are a consumer that would buy one. Lots of calls will get noticed, tell your friends to call too. I am thinking they played it safe and distribuited to markets where it wouldn’t rock the boat. If they have them tell the great, you and your friends will be in to shop! This is a chance to tell Old Navy thanks but let them know we are everywhere and we all want the shirts! Speak up Speak out!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 7:25pm
  17. I’ve never been more proud to work for Gap Inc!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 8:51pm
  18. Finally, a reason to shop old navy!

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 11:55pm
  19. So does anyone have a zip code of their old navy selling the t-shirts?

‘Cause they are not selling them at mine.

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 7:19am
  20. I can’t find these on their website, and our local store doesn’t have them. Does ANYONE know where I can get one of these t-shirts??

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 7:37am
  21. I just had a bad experience trying to buy Pride Themed T Shirts at Old Navy in Norfolk Virginia. Below is a copy of my email I sent to customer service.

Old Navy Customer Servce:

I have been looking forward to going to my Old Navy (Norfolk, Virginia at JANAF) store to purchase Gay Pride T-Shirts based on word of mouth and confirmed by Internet searches that “Starting Monday, Old Navy — owned by Gap, Inc. — is launching a line of gay pride-themed T-shirts sized for men, women, and babies, with 10% of the proceeds going to the It Gets Better Project.”

I visited my Old Navy Store this Monday morning. Two of my friends went along. And when one of my friends asked either a salesperson or manager, “Where are the gay pride T Shirts”, the store staffer said “what?” appearing shocked at the question. My friend repeated the question. She then said, “Well aren’t you just the ‘jokester’ this morning.” She had never heard of such a thing! Talk about having the “pride” sucked out of you. The conversation was demeaning and made me feel embarrassed to ask for what you are selling and them be treated like we are fooling the staff. She didn’t offer to look into it, and I didn’t want to stick around any longer.

According to “It Gets Better Project” “About” section, “Growing up isn’t easy. Many young people face daily tormenting and bullying, leading them to feel like they have nowhere to turn. This is especially true for LGBT kids and teens, who often hide their sexuality for fear of bullying. Without other openly gay adults and mentors in their lives, they can’t imagine what their future may hold. In many instances, gay and lesbian adolescents are taunted — even tortured — simply for being themselves.”

So imagine the many GLBT people who might be excited, like I was that a major clothing store was selling clothing in support of our community and to give a portion of the proceeds to the “It Gets Better Project”. The response and attitude I experienced demonstrates the need for the efforts of “It gets Better Project”. My experience indicates its an extremely hypocritical relationship that Old Navy has partnered with the “It Get Better Project.” True leadership comes both with word and deed.

I have suffered throughout my life. It does get better! I am a 50 year old, very successful professional. Yet our society remains discriminatory and forces a “closeted” approach to how we live our lives. This Old Navy store did not exemplified the values of the “ It Gets Better Project”, nor the numerous GLBT human right organizations that fight this stigma daily. This store is your corporate face to society and thus is your representative.

Please investigate this matter and let me know why I should not consider boycotting Old Navy. Am I a valued customer? Old Navy is marketing to the GLBT community. Donating to a great cause is admirable. I would suggest that if your organization is truly supporting the GLBT community, than your store staff needs to be educated. Have them go further and support local Pride organizations throughout the nation. Pride events are being held over the summer. In fact, my community’s Pride is next week, June 5th. And I wanted a bunch of matching shirts for the crew of my Pride Parade boat entry. I guess you don’t or won’t have them.

But trust me; I plan to let my friends know of this disheartening experience and your response to it.

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 8:54am
  22. Somehow I did read the part about being available in select locations. Local tore manager knew nothing about the shirts. I feel the company was just giving us lip service if they were not willing to sell them chainwide! Either support us fully or don’t bother.

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 11:38am
  23. I did not read the part about select locations

Replied on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 6:40pm
  24. “Select stores”= we’re too cowardly to do this where there isn’t already support.

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 12:29pm
  25. I would love to buy one. I looked on their website and could not find them? For some reason they are not being sold in Cleveland.

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 1:58pm
  26. Old Navy should sell their gay pride t-shirts at all stores, not just a select few. They would be surprised at who buys these shirts. Sure Old Navy stores in less “hip” locations may get some negative publicity, but remember, such negative publicity attracts new customers!

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 2:11pm
  27. I know!
    I went to Old Navy today and they didn’t have it =(

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 4:43pm
  28. Bummer about missing the sell. :(

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 6:48pm
  29. I just emailed Old Navy thanking them for the shirts and asking them to extend their sales to more stores. If other people could do that too, maybe they’ll get the message that doing this would make them more money. This is their email:
    custserv@oldnavy.com

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 at 9:30pm
  30. Thanks to Andi in Wonderland for the e-mail address. I just sent them an e-mail thanking them for creating the shirts and asking them to make them available in Toronto – we have one of the world’s largest Pride celebrations here, so it seems like a logical choice!

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 9:40am
  31. Thanks for the link. I too emailed and asked them to put shirts in more stores. I was very respectful. Hope to get a reply…
    Let;s keep it going! NOH8!!!

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 1:31pm
  32. I too just emailed them. I hope lots of others email them as well to get greater availability.

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 5:48pm
  33. I agree with many of the above commenters: it’s a step in the right direction, but such a limited release sends the wrong message that pride and equality are only marketable in “select locations.”

I’ve created a Change.org petition thanking Old Navy for showing support but calling on them to sell the shirts in all their stores, as well as online. Every time someone signs the petition, it sends an email to the Old Navy customer service department, the Old Navy PR rep, and the CEO of Gap Inc. (Old Navy’s parent company). Please consider taking a moment to sign and share with friends: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-old-navy-support-pride-in-all-50-states

Thanks!

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 10:41pm
  34. Does anyone know how to order them? I called the old navy 800 number and they say they have no idea why shirts I am talking about :(

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 7:41am
  35. I can’t find them at the Illinois State street one. :(

Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 11:55am
  36. glad to see Old Navy showing support, but I wish the shirts were available everywhere, or at least online everywhere.

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 12:26pm
  37. The corporate office was not aware of the sale of these t-shirts until the day before they were to go on sale. They are “only available in 26 stores” according to one guy who did checking. Also, they aren’t available online for sale. The corporate office said oh we will have them in stores by AUGUST. Some say the end of June – either way it is after GAY PRIDE month is over. DO ME A FAVOR – DON’T BUY THE SHIRTS OLD NAVY is putting out. If they can’t get their act together before Gay Pride month and have them available to everyone everywhere and online before June it isn’t worth spending your money there. DON’T BUY A SHIRT FROM OLD NAVY for GAY PRIDE. They are deceiving us about their supporting us.

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 7:37pm
  38. That is because most of the Old Navy Corporation doesn’t know anything about them. Someone did it and forgot to clue them in.
    Don’t bother wasting your money – go to cafepress.com and purchase your gay pride shirts – you can even design your own!

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 7:39pm
  39. Old Navy will not sell these shirts online and most of the people who go to or call the 26 out of 1,035 stores that are selling them are either not finding these shirts at all or only finding them in child sizes. Please click on the link and sign this petition to get Old Navy to take their pride nation wide: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-old-navy-support-pride-in-all-50-states

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 2:57am
  40. Thank you and I agree.

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 1:31pm
  41. Thank you Old Navi..Love always wins. I am buying two for me and two for my friends..

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 11:50pm
  42. they are only available for the month because it is LGBT month but i agree they should sell them year round. Does anyone know if you can purchase them online, im looking but cant really find anything..

Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 12:38am