Views & Voices

NOM’s marriage pledge includes a ‘witch-hunt’ against the gay community

Saturday, August 20, 2011

While there is a lot of noise being made over the National Organization for Marriage’s pledge to supposedly “protect marriage,” a passage in that pledge is escaping some much deserved scrutiny. Among other things, the presidential candidates who signed the pledge, should they be elected President, have promised to:

Appoint a presidential commission to investigate harassment of traditional marriage supporters.

In the world of the jaded gay community who has reputedly seen it all from the religious right, even this sentence should raise alarms.

Michele Bachmann’s signed pledge

First of all, who would be on this committee? Maggie Gallagher, Brian Brown? Or how about Peter Sprigg or Tony Perkins? Or even worse, Matt Barber? I would say Peter LaBarbera, but even I’m not that crazy.

And just what would they investigate, or rather, how would they investigate certain matters? Remember during the Clinton Administration, how investigations of Whitewater “magically” pivoted to other matters having absolutely nothing to do with legal matters but more about Clinton’s personal life?

Who’s to say that this “commission” wouldn’t turn into a fishing expedition determined to undermine and destroy pro-gay organizations? And I haven’t even mention bloggers.

Imagine being called before a committee and forced to give personal testimony about some false claim (which will no doubt be played up heavily by Fox News, conservative bloggers, and religious right groups) simply because you published a fact as to how religious right groups lie. And knowing the folks who suggested the committee in the first place, it certainly isn’t a farfetched notion.

No doubt, a list of pro-gay organizations and bloggers to be “investigated” is already forming in the minds of NOM and its allies.

The gay community would do well for itself to lose its jaded pose and get itself into the game of the 2012 election. We already seem to have a huge target on our back this election cycle — as unfortunately we always do every election cycle — so it seems to me that the best thing to do is to stop griping about being targets and start establishing a few targets ourselves.

Uh oh. Now maybe I will be investigated for saying that.

To date: Republican Presidential candidates Michele Bachmann, Mitt Romney and Rick Snatorum have signed the pledge, as did Tim Pawlenty, who has already dropped from the race. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who entered the race last weekend, has not yet indicated whether he will sign the pledge.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , , , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. Do they really Want to do this with All the Whistles at Our Disposal to Blow !!!

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:41am
  2. Me thinks some closets with revolving doors may come to a complete stop and light may shine where hitherto none was welcome~

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:43am
  3. It’s bullshit like that which makes me SO glad I live in Canada.

Land of the free? Doesn’t look like it.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:44am
  4. Ya know, I want to live in peace with other people, despite our differences…but if you insist on bringing the fight to my bedroom, I will defend it and make sure you are over the threshold when the authorities come callin’. P.s. This is a metaphor, not a threat on anyone’s actual life…everything needs a disclaimer these days with these wingnuts.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:45am
  5. Protect marriage, from what exactly?

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:47am
  6. NOM is a bona fide hate group for a reason.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:52am
  7. Seriously. Don’t people have more things to complain about. Like world hunger & shiz. GET THE FUCK OVER IT ALREADY. WE’RE HERE WE’RE QUEER, GET FUCKIN USE TO IT!!!

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 9:55am
  8. Id love to see them try 2 hunt me down..ill answer the door in full uniform…(I’m an officer) ill scare the shit out of em..and if they don’t get the message…ill do wat I do best…tackle the crap outa em

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 10:15am
  9. I would be happy to make statements to counter their ignorance. Yes, saying a child deserves a mother and a father is hate speech! They are a threat to my marriage with my husband, where is the justice to that. It’s not right at all. What will they do throw me in jail? The creator the founding fathers were talking about was a deist creator, not God, the holy father of Israel. I hate to say it, there are many Gods and Goddesses throughout the world.
    Besides the founding fathers had an idea that society would change. They do not have a right to speak for me!

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 10:35am
  10. In more than a dozen years of participation in discussions of same-sex marriage, I still don’t get what the heck people like Maggie Gallagher are so afraid of. Will John & Joe down the street getting married somehow make her marriage “invalid”? Will Anna and Susanna across tow being able to legally wed somehow make it more difficult for her to keep her marriage together? Or is it, as I suspect, simply a case of judgment on her part? Judging what she considers the ‘immorality’ of others? If that’s the case she needs to learn that such judgment is NOT hers to deal out. Such judgment is to be left up to God. I hope she learns that before she is standing before God awaiting His judgment of how she spent her life.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 10:45am
  11. So, wouldn’t that extend to people like me who are straight but in solidarity with the community? Is this witch hunt going to extend to ANYONE with queer sympathies? Probably, if they have their way. Which they probably won’t….this is not the 80s and I think the tide is turning thank God……

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 10:52am
  12. There should continuously be representatives from the gay community battling these crazed power hungry politicians running for office who twist religion to force their way on citizens. http://postmodernrevelation.com/

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 10:55am
  13. Come on over bigots! I got a new taser I need to test out on a trespasser

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 11:02am
  14. Armed and capable

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 11:51am
  15. Jane, I agree with you. I’m straight but I support the LGBTQ community. If they’re gonna wipe out those like us, then according to recent surveys they’ll be wiping out more than half of the people in the U.S.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 12:08pm
  16. Wouldn’t an Easter egg hunt be a better idea for their religious nonsense? Every time NOM gets an idea or has to spout off, they post it online or say it on tv… where the rest of the real world makes fun of them for being so stupid. Don’t they get it by now…????

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 12:34pm
  17. For every one of them there are two of us!

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 1:10pm
  18. Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 1:11pm
  19. I wonder what would happen if these hate mongors changed the word ‘gay’ to something else, would there be more of an outcry??

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 1:24pm
  20. This is why DOMA and NOM have got to go.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 2:42pm
  21. I uploaded a wall photo in response to this madness. See above. In response to Judie’s question, I am afraid the answer might be yes. An injustice to one human being is an injustice to all.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 5:02pm
  22. please please just let obama win. im not a fan ofhim but at least he won’t criminalize sodomy. and he might even pass gay marriage if it makes it through congress

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 6:43pm
  23. Right wingers definitely didn’t learn a damn thing from McCarthy’s fascist propaganda.

Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 7:01pm
  24. The lady’s flippin crazy. She’s lost it.

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 9:21am
  25. @Martin C- being the revisionist historians that they are, I think they did learn from the McCarthyism – How to. What they have chosen to not learn is that there was and is eventual fallout from such hubris and stupidity.

The question(s) are (I think they have already been asked above) but I’ll pose them again. What fed agency would be responsible for conducting these investigations? How much would these investigations cost? If there are investigating agents running all over the country and convening of congressional or senatorial panels or court battles . . . this is NOT small government which I thought the Tea Baggers were all about – this is expensive BIG government. I guess since this is a MORAL issue, they don’t mind needlessly spending taxpayer dollars on boondoggles.

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 2:45pm