Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has announced Family Research Council president Tony Perkins’ appointment to the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom in the congressional record. The Southern Poverty Law Center has categorized the Family Research Council as a hate group.
The commission’s role is to review the facts and circumstances of violations of religious freedom internationally and makes policy recommendations to the President, U.S. Secretary of State, and U.S. Congress.
Given his extensive anti-LGBTQ record, Perkins is the last person qualified for this position.
Get the Daily Brief
The news you care about, reported on by the people who care about you:
- Perkins accused ”intolerant gays” of attacking former congresswoman Michele Bachmann’s husband’s ”pray the gay away clinic.
- Perkins attacked the Obama White House for ”recruiting” children into homosexuality by coccontributing videos to the ”It Gets Better” campaign.
- After Washington state legalized same-sex marriage, Perkins said that gay wouldn’t be happy with marriage equality because they have “an emptiness within them.”
- Perkins blamed LGBTQ people for a prostitution scandal in the Secret Service, saying that repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” led to “a total breakdown” in “moral order.”
- In response to an advertising campaign, Perkins complained that ”Mike and Ike” were gay and ”sexualizing candy.”
- Perkins said the American people would never accept same-sex marriage because ”violates reason and natural law.”
- Perkins compared homosexuality to drug use and warned parents not to ”condone and enable” a child being gay.
- Perkins warned that legalizing same-sex marriage could lead to “revolution” and “just break this nation apart.”
- Perkins warned that child abuse ”can only get worse” if the Boy Scouts admitted gays.
- When California allowed transgender prisoners to obtain gender alignment surgery, Perkins claimed transgender people would try to go to jail for ”free surgery.”
- Perkins declared musicals nothing but ”homosexual propaganda.”