NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A lawsuit in which a transgender inmate says she was raped after being locked up with a male prisoner last year in the newly opened New Orleans jail is expected to go to trial in June.
A federal judge set a June 19 date in a Wednesday order.
The lawsuit against jail officials was filed last month. It says the former inmate, who was born male but lives as a female, had just been transferred to the jail when a male armed robbery suspect raped her.
The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, says deputies at the jail lack proper training. It also criticizes a “failure to separate transgendered inmates from the general inmate population.”
The Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office, which runs the jail, has declined comment on the lawsuit.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.