Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC)
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is an American nonprofit civil rights organization based in Montgomery, Ala., and is noted for its legal victories against white supremacist groups, its legal representation for victims of hate groups, its monitoring of alleged hate groups, militias and extremist organizations, and its educational programs that promote tolerance. The SPLC classifies and lists as hate groups organizations that in its opinion denigrate or assault entire groups of people, typically for attributes that are beyond their control. [ Website ] [ Wikipedia ]
- Monday, May 2, 2016The law, which takes effect July 1, is to allow religious groups and some private businesses to deny services to same-sex couples and transgender people.
- Monday, June 8, 2015Arthur Goldberg testified he believes homosexuality is a spiritual disorder and a condition caused by emotional wounds occurring in childhood and adolescence that can be cured through a "gender-affirming" process.
- Wednesday, June 3, 2015One of four plaintiffs who sued a nonprofit that promised to turn them from gay to straight wept on the witness stand Wednesday as he described cutting off contact with his mother after being told she…
- Wednesday, June 3, 2015Four men and two of their mothers are suing the organization Jews Offering New Alternatives for Healing (JONAH), a nonprofit that offers "gay conversion" therapy, under New Jersey's consumer fraud laws.
- Monday, June 1, 2015Jurors are expected to hear testimony this week in a lawsuit that claims a nonprofit violated state consumer fraud laws when it offered treatment it said would turn gays into heterosexuals by, among other methods, having…
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015Tristan Broussard alleges he was forced to leave his job at First Tower Loan in Lake Charles, Louisiana, offices after a company executive found out he was listed on his driver's license as female.
- Friday, March 6, 2015The motion requests that the federal district court expand their lawsuit to cover all county probate judges in the state.
- Saturday, February 21, 2015The Southern Poverty Law Center has filed a federal lawsuit against the Georgia Department of Corrections on behalf of a transgender inmate who attorneys allege has been denied medical treatment and has been sexually assaulted by…
- Wednesday, February 11, 2015A judge in New Jersey has ruled that claims by a gay conversion therapy group that describe homosexuality as a curable mental disorder are fraud.
- Saturday, February 7, 2015A New Jersey judge has ruled that several prominent proponents of gay-to-straight conversion therapy will not be allowed to testify in a consumer-fraud case against a conversion therapy organization.