As of June 26, 2015:
To date: 23 countries have legalized same-sex marriage: Argentina (2010), Belgium (2003), Brazil (2013), Canada (nationwide 2005), Denmark (2012), Finland (eff. 2017) France (2013), Greenland (Oct. 2015) Iceland (2010), Ireland (eff. TBD) Luxembourg (2015), Mexico (nationwide, eff. TBD) Netherlands (2001), New Zealand (2013), Norway (2009), Portugal (2010), Slovenia (eff. TBD), South Africa (2006), Spain (2005), Sweden (2009), Uruguay (2013), Untied Kingdom (England and Wales, 2014), United States and territories (nationwide 2015).
- Wednesday, February 25, 2015The U.S. Department of Labor on Wednesday issued a final rule revising the regulatory definition of spouse under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) to include married, same-sex couples.
- Tuesday, February 24, 2015The couple whose lawsuit got Alabama's same-sex marriage ban ruled unconstitutional is headed back to court after a probate judge again refused to grant their adoption petition.
- Tuesday, February 24, 2015Nearly six years after a unanimous Iowa Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex marriage, Republican lawmakers are still battling to overturn the ruling by amending the state constitution.
- Tuesday, February 24, 2015A bill that would allow magistrates and registers of deeds to opt out of providing legal marriage services or issuing marriage licenses, passed out of a state Senate committee on Tuesday, and heads to a full…
- Tuesday, February 24, 2015Attorneys on both sides of the legal fight over Nebraska's ban on same-sex marriage have turned in final written arguments on a motion to quash the ban immediately.
- Sunday, February 22, 2015Tradition reigns on the Navajo reservation, but the national debate over same-sex marriage is prompting some to re-examine a 2005 tribal law called the Dine Marriage Act, which prohibits same-sex unions on the reservation.
(The New York…
- Saturday, February 21, 2015Alabama's chief justice, previously best known for being removed from office for refusing to move a 5,300-pound Ten Commandments monument from the state Supreme Court building, has been thrust back into the national spotlight over his…
- Saturday, February 21, 2015Republican lawmaker Tim Huelskamp of Kansas has introduced a resolution in the U.S. House that proposes amending the Constitution so that only marriages between one man and one woman are legal.
- Saturday, February 21, 2015Voters in Ireland will head to the polls on May 22 to determine whether same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.