Pennsylvania

Gay Catholic school teacher fired hours after applying for marriage license

Saturday, December 7, 2013

BENSALEM, Pa. — A Catholic high school teacher in Pennsylvania said he was fired on Friday, just hours after applying for a marriage license to wed his same-sex partner.

holy-ghost-prepMichael Griffin, who has taught French and Spanish at Holy Ghost Preparatory School in Bensalem, Pa., for the past 12 years, said it was no secret among school officials that he is gay, and that it only became an issue once he planned to marry.

Griffin told WPVI-TV that he emailed the principal of Holy Ghost Prep earlier in the week saying he may be late Friday, that he was applying for a marriage license.

Later in the day, he said he was called into the office of School President Father James McCloskey, along with Principal Jeffrey Danilak.

Griffin explains: “He said, ‘It’s not really a secret here that you’re gay.’ I said, ‘Correct.’ He said, ‘I assume this is a same sex marriage.’ ‘Yes.’ He said if I go through with it, he had no choice but to terminate my position.”

Griffin said that his 12-year relationship with Vincent Giannetto wasn’t a secret from the school, that they had attended many school functions together, and that he and Giannetto had even been to McCloskey’s house.

“I can’t believe it’s over like that,” he said.

The couple applied for the marriage license in neighboring New Jersey where they reside, and where same-sex marriage was legalized on Oct. 20, following a state court ruling.

“We applied this morning and on the same day he’s fired from his job. So it kind of flipped things upside down for us,” said Giannetto.

Griffin believes a particular section of the teachers code of conduct led to his firing. It reads:

“The School welcomes teachers from other denominations and recognizes their rights to religious freedom, as employees of a Catholic institution, all teachers are expected to uphold lifestyles compatible with the moral teaching of the Roman Catholic Church.”

Holy Ghost is a private all boys liberal arts Catholic high school, but it is not part of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: Pennsylvania

1. omg

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:36pm
  2. swear the mental capacity of some people's god leaves a lot to be desired

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:37pm
  3. Frigging Catholics.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:37pm
  4. How coincidental….Im so tired of idiots.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:37pm
  5. yeah, they are not only archaiac but idiots too! Without gay teachers the schools would be nearly empty!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:37pm
  6. Bummer for him. But that is their right as a Catholic school. Even ENDA wouldn’t have protected him.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:38pm
  7. I don’t know why people continue to think the Catholic church will accept them. Move on my friends to those who want you to be who God made you to be.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:39pm
  8. Actually, the Catholic Church has a "hidden history" of tolerance. They're no more or less likely to accept members of the GLBTQ community than other churches, except those that actively preach hate. It's not a denomination thing. It's a church-by-church case.

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:05am
  9. The church was pro active in the 70's toward LGBT...hosting Dignity chapters in many cities & were mislead by the politicians of 80's promising repeal of RvW....The Church sold their soul....were deceived by the master of deception....and are experiencing the great chastisement....again...!!!

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:54am
  10. Catholic and Gay to me doesn't sound right. Catholics hate gays so why be a part of such a hateful religion?

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:00am
  11. one day the Catholic Church will accept gay people and gay marriage if this Pope has anything to say about it

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:58am
  12. I so agree with this! Why do people keep trying to shoehorn themselves into a religion whose doctrines explicitly deny their rights to be equal with other human beings? They KNOW they won't be accepted. They know they'll be fired, harassed, and treated like shit, but there's always someone who thinks they'll be the exception. There are thousands of denominations; find one that accepts gays, transgenders, etc. If none will, then make a new church. Religions are not that hard to get started.

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:54am
  13. Hopefully this guy will find a school that values him for 100% of who he is and what he can do. I wish him the best of luck.

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 7:27am
  14. @ Michael do you really think other factions within the Catholic Church will allow the Pope to force the issue? No they won't, just remember they killed 1 Pope before and covered it up, whats makes you think they would not do it again?

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:26pm
  15. simply awful.. unacceptable.. hateful organized religion…lawsuit … you can be they let divorced teachers work there…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:39pm
  16. And the surprise here is?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:39pm
  17. That’s fucked up, do I smell law suite?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:39pm
  18. We all need to just stop putting up with this shit. Pull your kids out of that school, if you have any sense of decency.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  19. It’s a Catholic school. I find it disgusting but not surprising.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  20. I am sorry for the teacher but this can’t have come as a surprise!?! I am kind of tired of people acting surprised when schools or businesses affiliated with non LGBTQ-friendly religious organizations fire people over gay associated activities

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  21. THAT REALLY SUCKS ,,,FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  22. Ummmm what right? Ever read most employment contracts? They are what you called AT WILL employment and state that you can leave or your employer can fire you at any time for any reason. No one has a right to a job.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:01pm
  23. Smdh

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  24. It says in the bible its wrong,I agree with the school what kind of message would that send the kids,think about it?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:40pm
  25. Do you believe everything you read?

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:50pm
  26. Another cherry-picker of the Bible, I see. Do you agree with not cutting your hair? Not wearing mixed fabrics? Honestly, your type is the worst.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:51pm
  27. excuse me it does not state that its wrong in the bible anywhere and if think it does prove it and dont give me that a man shall not lay with a man as he does with a woman theres no proof thats bout sex. also if you think teaching kids love is wrong then you are rather arrogant the bible is nothing it means nothing it has people who say they follow it have no right to tell someone they cant love who they love that they cant be who they are because if they are they will get fired

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:53pm
  28. @Mikael Anyone who sets aside rational thought and accepts hook, line and sinker, a narrow interpretation of an old book, the Bible, or any religious text, needs to have their head examined. You are weak minded. YOU are the ONLY person who should be doing your thinking for you and you have CHECKED OUT. Get a clue.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:18pm
  29. some people are just peaces of shit

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:41pm
  30. :-/

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:41pm
  31. Fuk that

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:42pm
  32. …ffuckers….

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:42pm
  33. The school has a FB page…pls leave a rating and comment…I did.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:44pm
  34. To those that say it is wrong in the bible: bullshit. Homosexual relationships didnt exist back then and homosexual rape existed. And stop equating consenting sexualities to immoral crimes. Stop. People like you make me sick.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:44pm
  35. Oh, you haven't read Ecclesiastes 4:7-12? (It's in the Old Testament.) My Bible teacher mother (also the wife of a Pentecostal lay minister) told me to read those verses and after I read them, she said, "Doesn't this prove that God approves of same-sex relationships?" I checked out the Hebrew Scripture text and found out that all involved in those verses are males only. One of the verses mentions men sleeping together and keeping warm. That "sleeping together" is the same verb found in Leviticus; but, the context of Leviticus where a "man lies with a male as with a woman" has to do with the fertility cult of the Canaanites where a male votary is a stand-in for the goddess Asherah.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:44pm
  36. Are you daffy or just ignorant of history? Homosexual relationships didnt exist back that? Ummm the Greeks and Romans were kind of famous for them. Homosexual relationships have existed as long as man has been around you dolt.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:59pm
  37. Fundamentalist Bigots! They don’t deserve that teacher!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:45pm
  38. I went to catholic school my whole life. I am very proud of that. My mother wanted the best for me. Sad thing is I do live in NJ and I am married to my wife. We WERE looking into moving to Bensalem. You idiotic moron who fired a teacher bc of who he loved? U should be fired bc u are an ignorant human being..

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:45pm
  39. OMG…That is total bull shit. I would definately look into suing the school!!! I hope he plans on doing this. They had no right to fire him. They said they already knew he was gay, so why does him being married have any thing else to do with his status? Except now he will have a husband where as before he did not…that is the only thing that is going to be different. Well please, keep me updated as to what happens with this man, the school and his partner. I hoe that this does not stop him from getting married!!! That would really suck if it did.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:46pm
  40. Yes they had every right to fire him. Almost every employer has in their contracts that they can fire you for any action they believe tarnishes their reputation or any other reason. So in short almost all employers can fire you whenever they see fit. I dont like what they did but they had the right to do it. I just think if thats their policy they ought to loose any federal aid that they are getting as tax players money cannot go towards discriminatory practices.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:10pm
  41. Tsk-tsk. Just feel that Christian love and understanding. Barbarism.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:46pm
  42. I’m beyond disgusted. And for the people that agree with it…all divorced teachers should then be fired as well. Keep going Catholic Church…soon you’ll have no believers.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:47pm
  43. Religion….the heads of churches were all present when they crucified the son of god…i think it will be all them so called christians that are going downstairs in the deep dark basement….I’m a lesbian and I’ll take my chances come judgment day…i know got loves me of that I’m sure bet you they have no clue lol

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:47pm
  44. Funny thing about that - all gods are imaginary. If there was a historical jesus, he was no son of god. Read up on pagan holidays and messianic religions.

Replied on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:46pm
  45. Is this what Jesus would have done ??? I think not.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:49pm
  46. Side note: both my nephews went to very prominent catholic schools in nj and are very proud of their gay godmother and gay godfather.. Bensalem? Really? Ur a fucking joke.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:49pm
  47. we need to close all religious schools they only teach hate and intolerance really

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:50pm
  48. So sad. This man will pull through, however, and move onward. Love wins against all else. Love and be loved. Live and let live. <3

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:50pm
  49. But it’s ok for catholic priests to molest children….

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:54pm
  50. Better off elsewhere anyway

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:58pm
  51. Meh he’s better off

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 9:59pm
  52. Catholic schools are bad!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:02pm
  53. If they’re keeping that close tab on their employees to be able to know what you’re doing to be able to fire you within hours for something? Sounds like its a good thing they got away from that place…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:04pm
  54. LOL,ya’ll are too funny,seriously,and if it doesn’t mean it in a sexual fashion that a man shall not lay with another man as he would a woman ,then how is it to be interpreted,what at a sleep over,yiu fuckin moron. And yes I wholey agree with the school,yiu can not teach mixed signals,it is after all a religious school,I don’t support organized religion,and I do feel kinda bad for the teacher but,he knew it was a possibility,so take it like it is.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:07pm
  55. If Catholics believe God made all, then they must believe everyone is born who they are – that simple. They need to move on to the 21st Century and educate themselves. They only have to look at their own Catholic Priests, most have sex with other other Priests (and children in the past), not because they are ‘gay’, simply because they are frustrated and need loving and a sexual relationship like other folk. Most of the time this is hidden, double sided sword I think.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:09pm
  56. ASSHOLES!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:11pm
  57. If he had only been a priest pedofile he would have simply be re-assigned. How wrong is thins? VERY wrong – take away the tax free status of the Catholic Church and all other “churches” that want to control others.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:14pm
  58. Oh Pope Francis? Here is another injustice happening on your watch. What are you going to do ? Make more inspiring speeches ? Not good enough!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:15pm
  59. Well I’m not shock shame on the school for not teaching love and not to judge neighbor or others But I’m not shocked cold world in some places for us !!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:17pm
  60. The new Pope would NOT approve.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:19pm
  61. Wait….Wait…..Wait….Does that sign really say ” HOLY GHOST ” ….. and they got the nerve to be worried about a gay teacher…..

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:20pm
  62. When they start to fire the gay priests, who will give communion, there will only be a few left.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:24pm
  63. Don’t wanna be screwed over by Bible-banging Jesus Nazis?
    THEN DON’T WORK FOR THEM.

They do have a right to freely exercise their religion NO MATTER HOW DESPICABLE AND STUPID IT IS.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:25pm
  64. How does one prepare a “holy ghost” I wonder…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:29pm
  65. Despicable. Such shameful behavior from an institution that is supposed to stand for good.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:29pm
  66. Wow, where is the pope when you need him and wait until they find out if other teachers are gay..!.!!!! It makes me sick that the church isn’t open minded in these times….!!!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:30pm
  67. Discrimination what a dirty word. And I bet he was a great teacher

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:30pm
  68. Private schools have their own rules and regulations. That’s why they’re called private schools.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:31pm
  69. Omg really!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:31pm
  70. fuck religious bigotry…

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:34pm
  71. The teachers are there purely to teach, their sexual preference doesn’t, or shouldn’t, make any difference!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:40pm
  72. Ever notice how haters can not spell or write a complete sentence in their own language? Mikael Douglas anyone??? (about 20 posts above)…. Oy.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:41pm
  73. this should not happen!!!!!! we must make it illegal , discriminaton is NOT RIGHT …i’m talking to you….shameful actions

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:43pm
  74. So true, discrimination of this type is illegal in many places...but not everywhere...very sad..

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:04pm
  75. Why would anyone work at a school run by catholics?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:44pm
  76. This should be brought to the attention of the Pope. I believe the Pope will lend his support against this discrimination.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:45pm
  77. Disgusted. They hired him as a gay who cares if he marries

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:53pm
  78. Typical hypocrisy of the church. I now worry what message is being given to the students

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 10:55pm
  79. I am sorry you lost your job, but that might be the best Christmas gift you will receive. I hope you get another teaching job at an institution that will love not only your language skills, but you as a person.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:10pm
  80. Given the teachers’ code of conduct Griffin’s termination was to be expected.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:14pm
  81. Men invented gods — to put fear into other men.
    Here’s the deal: If you let someone, or something, control your rational mind, you have officially flunked the most basic IQ test.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:17pm
  82. Shame on you Catholics

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:18pm
  83. How ridiculous!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:24pm
  84. It’s ok for priests to molest students, but it’s not ok for gays to get married. I understand.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:27pm
  85. The priest r the only ones that can b gay, hasn’t everyone had a priest boyfriend?

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:31pm
  86. This is why Catholics are leaving the Church in droves! Millions around the world have gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender family, friends, colleagues and neighbours. This kind of outrage is the wake up call from the drug-like effects of religion.

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:33pm
  87. Lawsuit!!

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:38pm
  88. Wow Daniel Lazzara,well said,finally some one with some sense actually said something that makes sense,yiu all need to set aside yiur emotions and get with the program,this stuff happens everyday,and will continue to happen,especialy when it comes to religion,and suing,and getting yiur panties all in a bunch will really not help,this is the state of the world today,don’t like it,ooops !!!get rid of all the religious right with in yiur political groups,and all that. :)

Posted on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:49pm
  89. Mean!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:00am
  90. Dear religion, why must you put restrictions on the beliefs of people?

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:00am
  91. Nothing like some good “christian” love. Hateful bigots.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:04am
  92. “Holy Ghost” prep school??? Oh the irony…

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:08am
  93. I’ve been fired from most of my jobs ….lol!!!! Their lose and my gain. This man is better off not working in such an EXTREMELY hateful environment. I am so sorry it took a kick in the ass.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:10am
  94. This shits got to stop!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:18am
  95. Good. He should have been fired. What part of the employee conduct part could he not read. LGBT should not be forcing their beliefs on the church. I applaud this school for standing up against rebels.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:30am
  96. cult.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:39am
  97. As a Catholic, I’m embarrassed and disgusted by the bigotry that these “priests” exercise. Jesus was no bigot.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:47am
  98. Anthony Myers you are so typical of what we are trying to change.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:49am
  99. call the Pope

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:57am
  100. Ive heard of this before. I bet the breeders will use the same B.S. excuses or they will just come out saying they are homophobic B****es and A**wholes !

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:05am
  101. Doesn’t matter who the Pope is,the Catholic church as a business institution-and that’s all it is,having long ago willingly and with premeditated agendas abandoned any virtues a religion is supposed to possess-are enemies of the LGBTQ community.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:07am
  102. Fire the teacher, but shuffle the priests around……no more to say.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:16am
  103. If the teacher had raped some children, he probably would have been quietly moved to another school instead of fired. :o[

Replied on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:56am
  104. shame on them! Jesus loves gay ppl

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:28am
  105. im not one to go for all this god bs.Thow i under stand that it is youns fath.We all have the right to good for are own fath but to do what this school did is out right discrimination.You can fight this and win.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:31am
  106. The Catholic church is a very evil and corrupt organization filled with demonic spirits and who the F cares what the Catholic church thinks. They are not in God’s favor and he does not know them.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:33am
  107. He is going to be one rich man after this.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:34am
  108. i have never jesus christ he blasphemed the jews and the jews were not jews they was romans holding jewish scum and holding christian scum and waiting for jesus christ to blaspheme the greek pagans then the romans got snappy and smashed the palestinain scum into hell and satan is the red sun not the yellow sun so the irish punished jesus christ.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 2:07am
  109. Why would you want to teach at a Catholic school to begin with?

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 2:19am
  110. That is fucked up they fired her for that, damn straight wait damn gay if she put her marriage license in. She is happy with the person she wants to marry, FUCKIN CATHOLICS, no wonder why the school is called Holy Ghost cause no one wants to teach there

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 2:35am
  111. I live by this school….You need Big Bucks just to Go Here. It’s run by an archaic OLD Money Catholic Faction.They never want Attention…But they Got it NOW !

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:03am
  112. disguesting

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:49am
  113. Very Unholy!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:14am
  114. I don’t know why he would think that it would be otherwise … he is working for a school run by one of the most oppressive religions in the world… speaking as a recovering Catholic … He knew the risks by doing that …

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:24am
  115. What a shame.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:52am
  116. damn and the school is named after the virgin mary too! Ya think they wouldn’t discriminate like that

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:04am
  117. “The School welcomes teachers from other denominations and recognizes their rights to religious freedom”

So much for following their code. They just denied this teacher his religious freedom.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:05am
  118. better to be fired than work with a group of old pedophile priests.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:07am
  119. they have the nerve-after they have stood by priests molesting our children and hiding it-they had better watch out for there ((chester molesters–and not gay people dont they know the difference–and they will answer to god—4 my god is a loving god-all creatures big and small-amen

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:20am
  120. Wow really! What ever happened to god is the only one to judge all man kind!!!!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 5:30am
  121. Is anyone surprised by this action???….We have to move on by not engaging with any organization who openly supports bigotry and hate against the LGBTQ community in any fashion…They are neither deserving of our talent or resources until they change….Maybe Pope Francis will have an impact on the church with his more open message of change…But until that day arrives we must move on and find other institutions who support us in every way.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:13am
  122. Wtf

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:18am
  123. I graduated from a Jesuit university, this news is sickening.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:40am
  124. how would the church even know that in a few hours?? ………unless they found out illegally

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:17am
  125. Thing is they have gay priests and the church knows it they still let them serve so which is it. If your a gay and out your out. If you swear to not have a sexual relationship your in stupid. I hope you sue and call them out. On it. What does your union have to do with your job. Sick of it. Catholic school or public it is not your business. treat others with respect .

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:21am
  126. Hopefully This Person Finds
    A School That Values His
    Work and Teaching. Where
    He Can Still Teach 100% of
    What He Can Do. I Wish Him
    The Best of Luck Also.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:26am
  127. Disgraceful!!!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:30am
  128. Terrible

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:35am
  129. Catholics is an inhuman religion with a long history of exploitation, deceit, hypocrisy, and power at all costs. I left this institution and so happy I did.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:48am
  130. I can’t even “like” this, without remembering that meddling in personal affairs is a NO-NO in the workplace! It’s NONE of their business who he is married to as long as he is doing his job!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:28am
  131. How typical….I guess they missed the Popes message

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:53am
  132. Actually, the school had every right to do this, horrible as that may sound. Working at a religious institution around children, he probably signed some form of morality clause, and since homosexuality is immoral by Christian doctrine, they could fire him on those grounds. It would be breach of contract. Similar things have happened with single women getting pregnant out of wedlock or getting divorced for reasons other than adultery (although, in that case, the females were fired while the males were not). If one’s place of employment is a religious-based firm, then you have to abide by their rules or quit. I know this because I am an atheist working at a Christian Hospital.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 10:44am
  133. I don’t get why people are attacking the religion itself, when it is the school admin that is making bigoted remarks. And there is no such phrase in the bible that is against homosexuality, homosexual relationships, and being a religious homosexual person. The private school is nothing more than a business meant to teach children their view of the world. The teacher has every right to sue. If you seriously can’t see past the religion you have an issue with people who choose spirituality and faith. The school admin is to blame for being bigoted period. The teacher was well within his rights to apply for marriage license. The private school is no different than a private business that hopes to brain wash it’s attendees. Tired of “so called educated people” attacking religion for no reason. People use religion to give false credit to their hate period!
    To the teacher, hope that you please look into seeing if you can sue or claim unemployment pay from the private school. I have a feeling the judges will side with you being falsely terminated for practicing your rights!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 11:27am
  134. So not fair!!..being gay doesn’t even define us as a person…does nt the bible said not to descriminate people???Am I right???

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 12:32pm
  135. Absolutely disgusting, Who are they to judge!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:07pm
  136. It’s funny to me how this group of folks can party it up, drink in excess often, smoke, carry on acting crazy, change their rules and beliefs when it fits their current desire, go to church on Sunday (those who do go) and confess their sins to another person only to have that person tell them what to do to wipe their slate clean so they can go do it all over again. And they have an issue with 2 people loving each other, wanting to be a family and still worship God. That’s the Catholics for you. See it ALL THE TIME with those within my friends and family. smh

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:59pm
  137. Ahhhh the Catholics—-will fire a Gay teacher for loving….but will shift a pedophile priest from church to church!!! Gotta love ‘em!!!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 2:22pm
  138. i feel bad for the teacher :(

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:18pm
  139. There’s always two sides to every religious issue the church has a right to do what it thinks is right but they don’t have the right to infringe upon the individuals freedom of religion maybe this individual doesn’t believe as the church does that doesn’t matter upon employment you cannot discriminate based on religion nowhere in America this is discriminating based upon the individual teachers religious believes

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:25pm
  140. This is discrimination pure and simple, and the ACLU should take up this one right now. What’s next, white teachers only? These Catholic troglodytes can keep their hatred and ignorance to themselves, but they cannot extent that to hiring practices.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 3:51pm
  141. How many totally out teachers do you all know? Out to students staff parents etc. We champion students who come out as well we should. What about their teachers?

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 4:24pm
  142. That’s so sad! :(

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:28pm
  143. Catholic’s are hypocrites!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:33pm
  144. WRONG!10 yrs. AND THEY KNEW HE WAS GAY,THEN THEY MADE IT LEGAL AND THEY FIRED HIM,MAKES TOTAL SENSE TO ME!!!HA_HA

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:35pm
  145. Come, let us prey.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 6:53pm
  146. And the “holy ghost” is what? Is is one, two or three gods?

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 7:09pm
  147. here we go with that lifestyle crap again, Hello, Lawyer!

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 7:18pm
  148. Catholics will never fully accept gay people. Ever. Because they are religious based and private, civil rights don’t apply, especially to we who are a minority and because we don’t get married to procreate are subject to the Catholics discriminatory practices. That said the teacher knew what he was getting into and should have expected this consequence. Getting legally married doesn’t entitle you to preferential treatment by the Catholics, you are marrying the same sex and you can’t be fruitful and multiply, you can only stop at being fruitful. I hope he continues on with his career in a public school, they are a bit more tolerant and the pay is better.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:12pm
  149. Ignorance continues to show its ugly face in America.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 8:49pm
  150. That’s because it is illegal to be happily married. You must be single and depressed and lonely. Suicidal is helpful too.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:07pm
  151. Churches do not have to follow the same rules as other employers due to the constitutional separation of church and state. I don’t agree with it, but they can do it. Also previously the church only had “hearsay” to go off of- by applying for the marriage license that gave them the proof they needed he was violating his contract. All the parochial schools have morals clauses and most specifically site homosexuality as reason for termination. The only way to change this is to change the US Constitution.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 9:30pm
  152. why does this surprise any one

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 10:13pm
  153. BS

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 11:08pm
  154. As I told my wife when she was working for a catholic college… don’t trust them an inch. We’ve moved to canada now, and good riddance to the bigots.

Posted on Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 11:35pm
  155. honestly don’t know what you should expect, its private and wastes their money not mine.

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 2:20am
  156. I m with you Deb

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 2:51am
  157. What would Pope Frances say about Holy Ghost Preparatory School , Head Master!!!!

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 4:01am
  158. Shame on homophobia!!!.Live and let.live, live to lobe, love to live. The day I will stop having sparkles in my eyes and have those butterflies in my stomach, and my heartbeat getting faster and warm when I look at a woman, I will be straight. But I have no power over this. Born this way, and I choose to be happy and do my coming out. Would’nt go back. So shame on people that do not aprouves love.

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 4:29am
  159. The Catholics are losing so much support in so many communities as things are. A policy change is headed their way, necessary to continue existing as a body of power.

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 6:38am
  160. A shining example of christian tolerance and love.

Posted on Monday, December 9, 2013 at 8:33am