Magazine covers mark Obama’s historic support for marriage equality

Sunday, May 13, 2012

President Barack Obama’s historic announcement of support for full marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples is making the cover of national magazines this week, including Newsweek and New Yorker, and likely others before the week ends.

At Newsweek, the magazine calls Obama “The First Gay President,” a reference to a 1998 article in the New Yorker in which Toni Morrison called Bill Clinton “The First Black President,” due to his support for African Americans.

At the New Yorker, Bob Staake’s illustration, “Spectrum of Light,” captures the “celebratory moment for our country.”

“I wanted to celebrate the bravery of the President’s statement — a statement long overdue — but all the more appreciated in this political year. We are on the right side of history,” said Staake.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. He’s just changing his tune for the votes and I bet you anything that he will not be seen going through with it.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:48pm
  2. Thank you President Obama – most – most LGBT people appreciate you and your administration caring about us.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:50pm
  3. Obama Cares for Equality….someone should create a mixed type of t-shirt with his health care and equality.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:51pm
  4. This is appalling. The notion that he’s some sort of saint who’s concern is for the well being of the LGBTQ community is ridiculous. He said that for no other reason than to cement his political power.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:52pm
  5. Why is everyone falling for this BS?? Wake up people!!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 4:54pm
  6. He is NOT for Federal equality when it comes to equal marriage rights for all law-abiding American Citizens. He’s merely giving lip-service when in comes to same-sex marriage.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:01pm
  7. This crypto-muslim is fostering the spread of Islamic supremacism in the US and is actually linked to highly homophobic Odinga ,even taking pics by his side (seems he is even his cousin,not sure),so I don´t buy his taqyyia AT ALL !!!!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:07pm
  8. He is not a saint, he is not perfect. But he is the first so at least say that he supports equality. It could take a while for him to fix everything that past leaders messed up, be he is the first to try. Why say no to that, why say no to love and support, why not give him the chance to change things

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:08pm
  9. That cover is degrading to all of us.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:09pm
  10. Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, “I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:14pm
  11. People get over it!! Who cares why he said it? It brought it to the forefront where it needs to be!!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:16pm
  12. He’s just trying to get our votes.. He sickens me..

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:32pm
  13. Why can’t anyone just give him a break? Give him a chance to put his actions where he puts his words. It is not like it’s going to be instantaneous. Also remember he does not have the final say. Congress can over rule him, just like they have done over and over. So please stop spewing hateful things and give him the befit of the doubt.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:36pm
  14. FEMA DEATH CAMP!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:36pm
  15. Also remember that hate only breads more hate.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:36pm
  16. Hey Raquel, he’s not gonna get yours. So i guess his secret plan to get your vote did’nt work. He is probably gonna get less votes because of it. It’s called doing whats right. But i guess people like u couldnt understand that concept. Ugh

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 5:39pm
  17. It’s not called “doing what’s right”…it’s called POLITICS!! He would not have said this if he thought it would hurt him.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:01pm
  18. I’m sure it was strategic, but I’m still glad he said it.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:06pm
  19. I am by no means a republican or a Mitt Romney fan, but isn’t it odd that the same people who blast Romney for his flip-flopping on policies are the same people admiring Obama for changing his tone on gay marriage? Obama said in 07 that marriage should only be between a man an a woman. He shouldn’t be given a pat on the back for saying what everybody wants to hear.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:15pm
  20. and he wasnt the first gay president.. lot of proof van buren was gay

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:16pm
  21. Difference? Romney is an idiot and can’t make a decision. Obama listens, learns and isn’t afraid to say so! He has said all along he was evolving but bet you didn’t bother to listen. It IS NOT a politial act, for those of you that have not followed him since he was a Senator. He knew people would EXPLODE if he said this and so they did. And MUCH HAD happened since 07 or have you been asleep!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:53pm
  22. I just want to say, that so long as the LGBT community supports and cares about others suffering, causes and issues in that goes on in the nation, then I support the LGBT community. The only reason why I make a point of it is because while I support the right to love and marry who you want, I have always been put off by the LGBT community bad attitude and is kind of selfish. I never known them to be concerned for any other issues but their own. I am not gay but I have problems that you would have nightmares about. I would like for once to see one of the LGBT be sensitive to my issues for once as much as I have been sensitive to theirs for over 25 years. Its about time they return the favor, dont you think? OBAMA 2012

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 7:12pm
  23. All I got to say is I WANT A PRIDE HALO!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 7:13pm
  24. All lies to get reelected. He also said it about Marijuana and we are still waiting for that.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:52pm
  25. I say take the halo lower and strangle the lying ass Muslim

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 8:57pm
  26. He is a fraud. He only said what he said to get money and attention (which unfortunately he is being given) to be re elected. Simple fact is; it’s not even up to him, its up to the states…. Fail!

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 9:31pm
  27. Spare me, a halo? People please, he is not God. A few years ago he was against same sex marriage and he probably still is.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 10:54pm
  28. so what. ya think it’s e-z trying to run this county with a bunch of mucky-mucks, let alone get into office as POTUS as a black man. His Address was extraordinary, hitting points right between the eyes, standing strong, as the President – naming truth (which this country so needs). We evolve as we evolve and he’s got the courage to speak his heart and mind. Barak Obama is a good man.

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 11:30pm
  29. The haters will always hate….no matterr what ..i dont think he will lose votes….because the people that were gonna vote for him before know him…trust him…and they will still vote for him….no matter….intelligent people do not base their vote on a personal opinion …they vote based on the character or a man and his leadership abilities….and this president has proven again and again he has both….kudos to u mr president for speaking ur mind despite the haters

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 1:35am
  30. Oh, so since when is it not ok to change your mind? Romney’s gay bashing ass doesn’t even remember cutting some poor guys hair off. And you people are pitching a fit about Obama changing his mind? This country is founded on change. Whether or not he did it for the votes (which I believe he did) or not, it was the right thing to do. And halo’s are for angels and saints too. Not just god. I can’t believe after all the shit that has been let out of the bag that this is what the debate is over. LGBT will be able to be married one day. It is just a matter of when. So get over yourselves. And my chapter of LGBT has been part of many other issues other than just ours. Look it up before you spout off at the mouth Anna.

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 1:49am
  31. Before 1967 interracial couples couldnt legally marry. Someone gave them a chance, n to this day some are still against it. The country must grow n be open to be successfull

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 4:30am
  32. Go Mr President!

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 7:36am
  33. The “Liberal Media”, huh? This cover sets him up to get harpooned. I don’t care his motivation in this and honestly don’t grasp why others fixate on it. Everything these people say is for political reasons. The point is…for the first time we have a president stating support for marriage equality. Enjoy the moment, even if you don’t like the president himself.

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:06am