Tennessee

Tennessee gay teen commits suicide over anti-gay bullying

Sunday, January 22, 2012

GORDONSVILLE, Tenn. — Another gay teen has been lost to anti-gay bullying — Phillip Parker, 14, died on Friday, the victim of an apparent suicide.

Phillip Parker

Phillip’s parents and grandparents found his body Friday afternoon, minutes later they found a handwritten note in his trash can that read “Please help me mom.”

His parents said Phillip was constantly bullied because he was gay.

WSMV-TV reports:

“He was fun, he was energetic, he was happy,” said Gena Parker, Phillip’s mother.

To his many friends, Phillip was known as the boy who told everyone they’re beautiful.

“He kept telling me he had a rock on his chest,” said Ruby Harris, Phillip’s grandmother. “He just wanted to take the rock off where he could breathe.”

Phillip’s family said they reported their concerns over their son’s bullying to Gordonsville High School on multiple occasions, but the bullying by a group of students just got worse.

“I believe my whole family up in heaven’s taking good care of him,” said friend Megan Redinger.

“I want to say I love him dearly,” added friend Heather Hunt. “He’ll never be forgotten. He’s always in my heart.”

“That’s my son,” said Phillip Parker, Phillip’s father. “I love him. I miss him. He shouldn’t have had to kill himself to be brought to life.”

Phillip’s parents said that students at Gordonsville High school have bombarded them with information since Phillip’s death — more than hundred teens told them the bullying was obvious, and some said they went to teachers about it.

“Because he was gay, he got mistreated physically, mentally by several people out there at the school, and I am very resentful as a result of it,” said Phillip’s grandfather, Paul Harris.

WSMV reported that more than 100 people gathered on Saturday night to grieve for the loss of Phillip.

Phillip’s parents plan to meet with Gordonsville High School officials on Monday morning, and a spokesperson at Smith County Schools said they are now planning how to address the situation with students.

The Tennessee Equality Project (TEP) Upper Cumberland Committee has announced it will hold a candlelight vigil in Cookeville, Tenn., on Thursday, January 26 at 8:00 p.m. in memory of Phillip and other victims of bullying, including Jacob Rogers, a gay teen from Ashland City who took his life in December.

The event will take place at the Courthouse Square — candles will be provided, and participants are asked to bring their own signs.

According to Beth Thompson of the TEP Upper Cumberland Committee, “While not only youth who identify as LGBT are targets of bullies, they have been found to be up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers, according to the Massachusetts 2006 Youth Risk Survey.”

The event is designed to show support for LGBT youth while the Tennessee General Assembly continues to debate legislation such as the “License to Bully” bill, the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, and the transphobic “Bathroom Bill,” all of which have drawn national scorn from LGBT advocates.

Phillip is the third gay teen this month to commit suicide under similar circumstances:

In the early morning hours of New Year’s Day, Jeffrey Fehr, 18, hanged himself at his family’s home in Granite Bay, Calif. Jeffrey’s parents are convinced that a lifetime of taunts and bullying contributed to their gay son’s decision to take his own life.

On Jan. 11, Eric James Borges, 19, of Visalia, Calif., also died, the victim of an apparent suicide. Known as EricJames to his friends, he was an intern with The Trevor Project and a young film maker who was not accepted by his birth family because he was gay.

Editor’s Note: If you or someone you know needs support, please don’t hesitate to call the Trevor Project‘s Lifeline at 866-488-7386.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Tennessee

1. Bullying needs to stop

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:41pm
  2. not another one :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:42pm
  3. =( may the Great Spirit Father embrace this young soul lost to the world too young

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:42pm
  4. We need to grow up and help the others who aren’t there yet

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:43pm
  5. It Saddens me to continue to see posts like this… May god bless these souls.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:43pm
  6. Oh my god another one :c

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:43pm
  7. sigh dear god, when will this shit end….why do we not impose serious penalties for bullying at schools and in the workplace?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:43pm
  8. this stuff need to STOP!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  9. sad

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  10. My sincere condolences for not only your loss, but the loss to the global gay community! My heart breaks….

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  11. I hope his bullies feel really huilty right now

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  12. sad. And where are the parents again?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  13. guilty*

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:44pm
  14. Hopefully he finds peace in the afterlife :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:45pm
  15. stories like this makes me sad. people really need to stop. gay isn’t wrong, isn’t wrong in the Bible, it isn’t wrong anywhere.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:45pm
  16. why can’t everyone see that it is simply not their business what everyone else does? their bible says to not judge least ye be judged by the same judgement!..gay bashing is judgeing! bullying gays is judgeing! the churches adn so called godly peeps are going to have to stand before their god and be judged for their deeds

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:45pm
  17. *huggle*

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:46pm
  18. I always ask where the grown ups are in a young person’s life when these things happen. TN has taken some unusual steps to protect bullies and tormenters of gay youth. Now I want to know if the doj or the civil liberties union are going to step in.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:46pm
  19. is nobody’s business what OR who i do in MY bed! or in MY life

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:46pm
  20. It is time to prosecute the politicians and government officials for not doing their job of working to make life better for all. The police should be charged also with not protecting safety or welfare of the kids. That would get things done. Start charging people in charge with these crimes they are just as guilty.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:47pm
  21. So very sad

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:47pm
  22. :’(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:47pm
  23. Just sad that this happened.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:47pm
  24. Cursed bigots. Rest peacefully child, you will be missed.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:47pm
  25. always breaks my heart when i see these post damn it, when will it stop :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:48pm
  26. =( i hate seeing this it makes me so sad my heart goes out to the family and friends suicide is such a painful thing to deal with we need more people to stand up and stop this ive lost to many friends to suicide and this makes me so sad knowing others have to feel the same pain ive felt i wish i went to his school i would of beat the shit outa his bullies and woulda been his best friend rip phillip you will be missed

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:48pm
  27. When the f*ck are people gonna stop takin’ this sh*t?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:48pm
  28. Where were his parents? Teachers? No one noticed he was suffering? Suicide in young people because of bullying for being anything outside the narrow window of teen/peer acceptability is increasing. If the parents and teachers aren’t acting, maybe concerned people like those posting here need to step up.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:49pm
  29. Such a terrible loss. My condolences to the family. When are schools going to step up and deal with this issue?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:49pm
  30. Yws need to stop bullying.. Kidz dont need to kill themsevles.. They should education to everyone!!! Sad!!!! :-( He finds a peace n in heaven where hes happy. Send my prayers n thoughts to his family n friends.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:49pm
  31. This is so sad :( no one should have to kill themselves over being gay, bein gay isnt wrong at all. Bullying really needs to stop.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:49pm
  32. RIP Phillip – rest in the arms of the Angels

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:50pm
  33. I’m asking for everyone.
    to start networking.
    For Freedom & Equality.
    For this to End.
    Do this for Phillip.
    and the millions of other’s.
    Americans have fought for
    Freedom around the world.
    Yet, we are not Free.
    Prayers, to friends & family.
    Also,
    May God have mercy
    on all people who Hate!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:51pm
  34. Kids bullying has been going on since the beginning of time. Who doesn’t remember having to walk on the other side of the street to avoid the bully?! This may not be the most politically correct thing to say but Is this the new thing, to go out remembered? And maybe if you’re really lucky lady gaga will put your picture up at her concert? The only problem is you won’t be there to see it. It’s like the teenage girls that getting pregnant when they found out MTV was casting for the new season?! Who is raising these kids? Bullying is not going to stop and quite honestly people /kids are much more tolerant today so maybe it’s the antidepressents or something besides just bullying. “Teach your children well..” or don’t have them.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:52pm
  35. So said and only 14

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:52pm
  36. There has to be something we can do to stop this!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:53pm
  37. When is this going to STOP???

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:54pm
  38. What is wrong w/ people. When will schools and parents take this bullyin more serious. Its just sickening, when will people leave people. This isn’t about the bible, this is a bout being different bcuz there r a whole lot of things in the bible that people r doin but not being killed for

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:54pm
  39. so sad ;( smh

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:54pm
  40. mourns

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:55pm
  41. This is just so heartbreaking :,(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:56pm
  42. :’(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:56pm
  43. This is so fuc*** up, so so sorry to hear this!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:57pm
  44. Not another one, we must pray for the family for their loss of an innocent child. Who knows he could have found the cure for AIDS.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:57pm
  45. when is this shit going to stop!!!! there are too many young lives being lost through ignorance that apparently still remains! What as a gay community needs to be done, because there are Too many losses that shouldn’t be!! I’m so sad as a Gay Man and a Human Being, for these kids and their families!! Enuf is Enuf..

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:58pm
  46. im sorry, but i place blame on parents… peer pressure doesnt hold a candle to strong parenting… it made no matter who said or was doing what… if i knew my mom taught me better, or would whip my ass if she found out, it wasnt going down… so how do u have a child that deems it fit to judge and humiliate another child… i would whip my daughters ass all the way to the police station and they would havta lock up both up if i found out she had anything to do with bullying another child… and she knows it…

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 12:58pm
  47. I’m so sorry family. May you find find peace and comfort through our Lord.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:00pm
  48. omg really? he so young :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:00pm
  49. I can’t believe it : we re in 2012 and there are people who suicide cos they re gays…….it s too bad for the 21 century

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:00pm
  50. We can’t just say the teachers, parents, and politicians need to step up. We ourselves need to step up. If we see bullying confront it dont ignore it. we also need to let the victims know that they aren’t alone and they have someone to talk to. Be a shoulder, an ear and let them know you are there! I have been bullied because of my race and I try and do my part to end it by talking to my kids about bullying and stopping it when I see it. I hate seeing post like it. 2012 needs to be the year we end it!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:00pm
  51. The bullies need to be held accountable. And the teachers and politicians, but mostly the churches because this is what they teach.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:01pm
  52. Rusty – you are absolutely correct, bullying isn’t new. Teens contemplating suicide isn’t new either. What is new or maybe just more visible these days is the lack of parental support. In the animal rescue world we deal with people who adopt an animal and then neglect or abandon the creature when they are bored. It seems to be the same with parenting…have the kid, and leave the care to others when the novelty has worn off. That attitude produces the bullies and the victims in record numbers.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:01pm
  53. This*

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:02pm
  54. Rest in Peace Phillip Parker!! <3

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:02pm
  55. Again and again… stop bullying

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:02pm
  56. Goddammit.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:03pm
  57. I don’t understand how people LIKE these posts. This is nothing to LIKE. Sick.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:03pm
  58. AGAIN!!!!….time to stop the bullying I mean NOW!…do something before it’s too late…this boy is too young to kill himself because of stupid bullying at school…BULLYING is the CRIME so far….write a letter to the white house that you really want to stop the BULLYING at any school. it must be ZERO-TOLERANCE at any school.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:03pm
  59. Maybe if the school would have addressed the parents’ concerns sooner the boy would still be alive.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:04pm
  60. I am baffled by how careless and unremorseful some people are when it comes to others and their feelings. At the end of the day, regardless if you agree with anothers beliefs we’re all still human we all feel pain, felt pain, and simply knowing the feeling should be enough to not want to inflict on the next person.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:04pm
  61. I hope his bullies feel like utter shit.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:06pm
  62. I am sorry I was bullied as a kid growing up when I was in school and such. It was bad. I was even attacked by 5 people. And I didnt kill myself. These kids these days are just not strong enough anymore. The kids need to have tough love and need to learn to just get over alot of things. It is very sad that he killed himself because he couldnt handle life. And that the thing he just wasnt strong enough to fight it. And I feel its cause no one helped him fight. Not laying a finger on another person. Just telling them its ok who cares what these fucks say about you. They are just jealous assholes and they will get theres. And let me tell you aot of people I went to school know now that I am gay and in a civil union and they dont care at all. Some of them are very happy for me. So again its time to teach these kids tough love and stop babying these kids. Cause they are just going to keep killing themselves. I hate to sound so mean. But I do and will keep praying for theses kids and the parents and maybe the goddes will them. But they need to learn to get over crap. Its a tough world..

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:06pm
  63. wow what a low blow!once again diz ish has got to stop i send my prayerz out to his loved onez he left behind but man itz tme for parentz to b just dat stp being ya kidz friendz b nosey knw whatz gng on make the teacherz and there surrounding b just a curious and interactive wit your child az it wuz therez kep negative out surround w/loving caring people where sum1 would of noticed.sad bt it life only us az human race cn change dis i vote bullierz go to jail itz becming to serious if agree vote yez if no why we have to show kidz,adultz we mean buznezz to many livez being taken for the word bullyn

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:07pm
  64. now they are going to address the situation. they should have done that before this child killed himself. im sure they will bring in people to help the students deal with their grief. they should tell them they are guilty and point out to them just how their words and actions can do as much harm as hitting. my heart goes out to this child and his family

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:07pm
  65. rest in peace

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:10pm
  66. some of these kids can really do something about it, but they choose to have Fame from their Suicides.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:10pm
  67. I feel so bad for him..
    All this bullying really needs to stop.
    It’s taking way too many kids away.
    It’s truly heart breaking that this unjustified hatred still continues in our world…
    This just all needs to stop…

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:11pm
  68. Oh MY!! This is Getting too close to Home! I’ve tried advocateing in this area. with re-posts and such. But THIS HAS TO STOP ALTOGETHER. Sending Thoughts and Prayers To Family Friends And All Affected by this SAD SAD STORY. Rest in peace Phillip Parker.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:12pm
  69. It don’t make a damned bit of nothing that bullying isn’t new. Neither is murder nor rape. There should be laws against it, and against supporting or defending it.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:12pm
  70. I wish I could be shocked by this. Disgusted at the bullies’ behaviour, yes, but shocked? Unfortunately not. It’s awful and sad that this sort of thing happens so often that I’ve become resigned to it.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:12pm
  71. that’s just the government channeling all their hostility towards change in america today….. Yep, they even concern themselves with america, even though we got this for them all day!!!… I’ve seen all this before, like were on a DVR or something! It’s called a “free for all” ! When the game of life ends,,, the multi-dimensional shit begins, tails shall be between legs for sure… Bullies become friends in my day…. Course, you have to fight back!!!!!! LOL

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:15pm
  72. So Sad, I am sorry that another child has taken his life. We need to work to eradicate the hate. Kids will bully as long as Presidential candidates and other grown ups find it okay to hate. Kids are taught to hate. Yes it has gone on forever but we have never had all the social media as today where it is a constant barrage of hate. FIGHT THE HATE !!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:15pm
  73. It’s mainly the churche’s fault? He was bullied by STUDENTS. However, I agree. Everybody needs to step up. You can’t just let bullying happen, because then THIS happens. As a high school student, I’ll be one of the first ones to admit that some kids my age are horrible people. If you cause somebody to take their own life, you’re not a very nice person. Bullying has made me who I am today, but that doesn’t justify shit.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:17pm
  74. It’s sad to think that as far as we have come as a community that these children have to result to something so tragic before we pay attention to them.If we practiced what we preached instead of saying ooooh how terrible it is that they did this, then maybe we could help save some lives. Start making these bullies responsible for their actions.We give so much money to other countries to help them deal with their problems but do nothing to take care of our own.just because we are gay doesnt mean we arent human, and deserve the same rights as so called “straight” people.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:17pm
  75. it is def more talked about these days as i attempted suside as a teen but was lucky and was discovered in time. but bullying was a daily part of my life when in high school. was even threatened to be kicked out of school by assistant principle and guidance counciler because i was gay. but thanks to my counciler she stood up for me and my dad had threatened to take them to court if they did. years later i was in a bar and saw my counciler then i knew why she had stood up for me. but it is tough when u are coming out to yourself and already are fighting all the things that u are told is wrong. i feel i had the most understand dad in the world at that time. he would tell me when i would come home crying cause someone had been so cruel! baby u just have to smile and tell them u don’t bother me. it was alot easier said than done. espically when the bullies are intrupting class to call u name and u are the one being sent to the office. there is so much more support out thee now for kids than there was when i was a teen. america needs to really get with it and people need to open their minds. we are losing great loving people who are suppost to be our future! We need our basic human given rights to be us. and i have to say we could all take a lesson from european countries they do not allow the homophobics to dictate who is worthy!! and america is supost to be the land of the free and freedom. but only if u are hetrosexual!! sad message we send to our youth!! BULLYING NEEDS TO STOP FOR ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND IT STARTS WITH THE ADULTS IN A CHILDS LIFE!! WE PROJECT WHAT WE LEARN!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:17pm
  76. :( that this is happening in what is suppose to be a FREE world

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:18pm
  77. Another one? Not even that long ago someone else did this, it just floors me how it can really get this bad..but I’ve been down that road before..its not a fun road to take..

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:18pm
  78. Tough love can work, but only if there is a strong support system in place. Being a teen is hard enough but with strong parental, school and community support you can survive anything.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:19pm
  79. Religion is to blame!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:23pm
  80. It seems like the people with the best spirts seem to be so secretly broken inside.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:24pm
  81. Blame it on the conservative teachings passed down by ignorant parents who worship only on Sundays. . .

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:24pm
  82. This has to end! This is a worldwide cry for help! We are losing so many of our most beautiful people to this hatred.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:25pm
  83. I don’t know what to do to help these kids… Apparently no one else does either.

But it couldn’t hurt to have non-heterosexuality be less invisible or demonized. So we have to get kids to stop bullying over that stuff…or I don’t know…create a way more openly supportive school system, or community or society…I don’t know.. Obviously this is just general issues/solutions.

I really want to help, but I don’t see any answers. Maybe that’s part of the problem….

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:25pm
  84. The saddest thing is that there are people out there that still think that being gay is a choice. I’m not gay…. but I understand that my HUNDREDS of gay friends did not just wake up one morning and just think to themselves “you know, i think i’m going to like other men today” or “hmm… i think that being a lesbian sounds like fun”. There are so many people out there that are ignorant pieces of crap and raise their children believing the same things… and all the “Christians” out there… that say this is wrong. God created gay people too. And since even small children show signs of being gay, unless the Devil is coming into your innocent child’s bedroom at night and corrupting them, then God created them how he wants them to be. Being gay doesn’t make you evil… I have plenty of Gay friends that identify themselves as Christians. They believe in and love God whole-heartedly. But they know that they can’t just wake up one morning and change their mind about who they love or who they are attracted to. I had a friend in junior high who almost killed himself because he WAS a Chrisitian and because he didn’t want to be gay (because it kept getting beaten into his head that this made him a sinner and that he would go to Hell) and he couldn’t change the fact that he was gay. Its sad when the world comes to this. Sorry, that was really long… but I didn’t want to be one of the masses that just said “that’s so sad, i’m sorry” without contributing something truly meaningful.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:26pm
  85. tennessee gay teen killed himself because he had issues, NOT because of bullying!!! everyone gets bullied and we need to get past this expectation that EVERYONE is gonna like us!!! maybe if we teach our kids to love themselves instead of being victims, OR if we teach our gay kids that is it is not necessary to PUSH YOUR HOMOSEXUALITY off on everyone else, we would not have to deal with this issue.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:29pm
  86. and maybe if groups like THIS would educate as to oher options or offer education and counseling rather than sensationalizing suicide, there would be a solution to the issue, but NO we would rather sensationalize and perpetuate the tragedy

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:31pm
  87. stupid bullies. Is this ever going to end?! Fucking Christians probably had a great service this morning talking about how he deserved it.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:32pm
  88. iDont Support Bullying At ALL ! Im Against It 100% , iHate Seeing That Kids Like Me Are Dying! Bcus Of THERE SExual Orientation PEOPLE Need ToWalk AWAY! I Hate Bullies #100

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:34pm
  89. how many more innocent lives will be lost through bullying,.when will this bullies learn ? the government should pass a law for bullying to be a crime,

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:39pm
  90. Wait @ Mac You Need To Stop.Talking About Christians Because iM A Christian & All Christians Are NOT THE SAME! you cannot blame this on the christians! thats the bullies fault , the bullies probably werent even christians! So you can stop disrespecting christians!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:40pm
  91. An official at Smith County Schools said they are now planning how to address the situation with students on Monday.
    I THINK THE TIME TO DISCUSS THE SITUATION WAS BEFORE IT GOT TO THIS HORRIBLE ENDING. WHERE THE HELL WERE THOSE IN CHARGE TO STOP THE ABUSE OF THIS POOR CHILD??? Shame on them!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:40pm
  92. Alejandro Quinones-I’m having a hard time understanding what the hell you are talking about? Fame in their suicides? WTF? A young soul was lost too soon. And why? Because people can be so ignorant and mean. Your last comment falls under the “ignorant” section. Please, when commenting on the loss of a child, think about the child and the family. Would you repeat your comment to his family? I hope not.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:41pm
  93. just looked at the Gordon HS policies online –
    words words words
    ·School officials flexibly apply response mechanisms to both the victim and the perpetrator, taking into account the parties’ ages and the context of the behavior

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:41pm
  94. LGBTQ Nation – we got a long way to go to get into action what has to be done at the school level.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:42pm
  95. RIP

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:48pm
  96. I cannot believe this is happening again!!! I am outraged over this report!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:50pm
  97. so sad….R.I.P. Phillip

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:50pm
  98. another one..and these idiots are considering a bullying law for schools?!!! Give them some of their own medicine!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:53pm
  99. oh wow this year has just started why so many people died so young enough already! RIP

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:54pm
  100. To be honest, I’m getting sick and tired of hearing about this.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:57pm
  101. I have read some remarks and I am disgusted to say I am part of the Human Race get over it we are so immune to kids taking their lives because of bullying is it just another day part of life and we should teach our kids to get over themselves it was his issues not bullying everybody gets bullied and stop pushing homosexuality on everybody. Well we need to stop thinking that kids killing themselves is part of everyday life and bullying should not be tolerated no matter the reason and pushing homoseuality on everybody no right wing CHRISTIANS are not CHRISTIANS because if you all were you would not be standing by and allowing this to happen remember I am my brothers keeper and our father will ask each of us what we did to help our brother’s and sister’s during our lifetime. By walking away and being totally unloving to helping this child and other children is not walking the path that Jesus our Saviour want’s you to take so I say unto you all that say your CHRISTIAN GET OUT THERE START WALKING THE WALK OF JESUS NOT AS A SELF RIGHTOUS PERSON.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:58pm
  102. This needs to stop! Stop telling kids that bullying is okay! It so clearly isn’t!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:59pm
  103. I don’t know how I got through it. I was almost pushed to kill the guys who were not letting me learn in school. It never stopped. Teachers would do nothing. All I can say is I rose above it as an adult and I dare anyone who used to bully me to get in my face now. These stories break my heart. I do feel kids that bully are a direct reflection of their parents.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:06pm
  104. I don’t understand why bullies have to be so mean to other people. I mean maybe to someone that is gay a straight person is what’s different, what’s not right ya know? I think it shouldn’t be about who you love or who you have sexual interactions with, it should be about how beautiful someone is in the inside, how they make something of themselves, how they brighten a sad day with there smiles and how someone is there for someone else when they need it. You are only beautiful on the inside and weather you are different with who you love it shouldn’t matter. it really shouldn’t. And just think, those kids will always have it held over their heads that they were the ones responsible for what happened to Phillip. My heart goes out to his family. Phillip you are beautiful, and will be widely missed by thousands of people, although they don’t know you like I but we do care and one day all of this will stop.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:08pm
  105. so wrong… These kids need to be supported in their homes and schools so this doesn’t happen! Kids – your lives will get better!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:10pm
  106. There is no foundation for gay youth in TN. Adults are scared to come out, and in many places like those in the educational system for example there is a bill called ‘don’t say gay’ that makes it illegal to talk about homosexuality with children. This makes it impossible to address a child being tormented for being gay because no one is allwed to talk about it. It also creates the enviroment for the torment to happen. There are lot of things that are wrong in this state, but the thing that is intolerable is the cowardice. People here lgbt included refuse to stand by their own conscience. I am beginning to wonder if in fact they have a conscience. I personally know lgbt people who would rather participate in anti-gay bs than be ‘different’. This is my home, and these mountains will always be in my heart, but I have lost all respect for TN in general. I have a strong conscience, and will stand by my morals even if I do so alone.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:10pm
  107. rip dear boy

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:15pm
  108. @Darryl- teach our kids not to push their homosexualityon others, what is your definition of push homosexuality? Saying one is gay, having a sense of pride or asking for sexual favors? If that’s the case, I will teach my kids to stop pushing their gayness once people stop pushing their heterosexuality, their ethnicity, their religion, age and gender on everyone. Do you see how absurd your comment sounds, probably not. How does one push their homosexuality? How does one push their heterosexualuty? By talking about their mother and father, their spouse, wearing a wedding ring, having pictures of their spouse and etc. Kids get bullied for being perceived as gay, even when they are not. I agree kids need to be taught unconditional positive self regard, but with all the hate in the world, who will teach them that?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:15pm
  109. It’s tragic that this type of abuse continues to happen. At that age we are all just looking to try and fit in, and bullying by others because we are different doesn’t help the cause. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:16pm
  110. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! LIVE AND LET LIVE!!!!! LOVE AND LET LOVE!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:22pm
  111. To constantly see these articles, and know that I too have though that there was no other way out, and to know that I made it through breaks my heart. Knowing that there are many other teens just like me out there that resort to suicide to fix their problems, instead of seeking help, and reaching out to help other teens going through the same thing is one of the saddest things ever. I have lost 2 of my closest friends to suicide, and it is one of the hardest things a person can go through. Its time we stand up, weather you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, no matter what you are! Its time we stand up, and start speaking out to those teens that think its too late! Its time to stand up for those kids that cry them self’s to sleep at night, go home wishing they were dead, or even worse, make it a reality. Its time we band together to make EVERYONE know that it is not alright! Things will get better! Just hold on for that time when things change, because trust me, things do get better. You grow stronger as a person!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:24pm
  112. We can thank the Evangelicals for this. They spew their hatred across this country and send a message to some young people that it is okay to hate others if you don’t like their differences. As a believer in Jesus myself, it is beyond me that the only barrier left for the LGBTQ community in this nation is the Christian community. Christians are nothing like Christ. It pains me to see this. I still have hope, though.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:31pm
  113. more blood on the hands of the far right christian extremists

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:32pm
  114. Fucking parents need to teach their children to accept others differences. Rest in peace Phillip. Im pretty sure he’s at a better place right now.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:33pm
  115. I AM ANGRY….VERY…VERY…ANGRY….THIS HAS TO STOP NOW!!! WE CAN NOT LOSE ANOTHER ONE OF OUR YOUNG BRIGHT BEAUTIFUL BROTHERS AND SISTERS……ARM THESE CHILDREN WITH THE TOOLS TO COPE WITH THIS BEHAVIOR…..ARM THEM WITH SELF-CONFIDENCE….WITH SURVIVAL INSTINCTS…WITH ALL THE TOOLS NEED TO FACE THIS KIND OF NIGHTMARE….WE CAN NOT LOSE ANYMORE!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:53pm
  116. its a sad fact of life that nobody does shit to help other people with depression and such. i know this because ive tried nearly every antidepressant(none of them worked, including the one im on now) and ive been to a mental hospital 5 times. 2 times this year. If I said I was going to kill myself, alls they would do would send me back to the hospital and put me on different meds. u would think they would try something different like they said they would, but they dont. i dont know what it is, but people just obviously dont give a damn enough to actually DO something. This is why so many lives have been lost to suicide.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:54pm
  117. so sad =[[ When will this horrible bullying come to an end???

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:57pm
  118. Darryl johnson – if you just so happen to see this: your comments were sad and very, very closed minded. Get your brain out from the TV and think about how you felt as a teen. And get your stupid, soulless ass off your computer chair and go out in the real world. Try looking through the eyes of a gay teen or, actually, any teen. NOBODY is sensationalizing suicide and NOBODY is claiming they are the victim. Nobody but you ;)

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 2:58pm
  119. By the way – this child does not deserve hatred spewed at him. Even in death people can’t let their prejudices go and mourn the loss of a fellow human being. This world is sad. Phillip – you deserve to be remembered and cherished. I will do both.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:03pm
  120. Dear Family, so sorry for your loss. May the love , peace, grace, and mercy, and comfort of God be with you. I am the friend of several gay people and know they have been bullied and had a 15 yr. old friend kill himself several years ago. I just wanted to express my compassion, and let you know that others are praying for you. May God bless you. <3

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:13pm
  121. Ndaa Act 2012
    Here at home, we will strengthen our defenses, but we will not succumb to a siege mentality that sacrifices the open society and liberties and values that we cherish as Americans. And so long as I am President, we will never hand then that victory.
    Obama 2012
    The government will make use of these powers only insofar as there are essential for carrying out vitally necessary measures…..The number of cases in which an internal necessity exists for having recourse to such a law is in itself a limited one.
    Hitler Enabling Act of 1933
    History Repeats Itself……….

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:18pm
  122. it’s so very sad. When I worked in Nashville in 1979 the town was welcoming to gays.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:23pm
  123. this bullying needs to stop. i want someone to try and bully me cause i’m bi….

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:24pm
  124. GOD!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:24pm
  125. So sad.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:26pm
  126. I am so sick of people in 2012 still bullying and allowing bullying to go on. It has to STOP!!! We have to be a more tolerant society. It is not a choice, no one would CHOOSE to live this way when they are being beaten down daily. We complain about other countries and look at what we are doing to our own people. It is sad. RIP kid.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:26pm
  127. I kind of agree with Daryl. Every time I see a post on here it’s, whoops we got another suicide, well what are they doing besides reporting the act. I hardly see anything of positive means on this wall. Just saying.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:27pm
  128. God Damn it when is this pandemic going to end. :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:39pm
  129. RIP

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:46pm
  130. Yes Bullying IS thee Churches Fault Whether Bullied By Adult Or TEENS! Its A System To ALL Of This And Beliefs & HATRED Is Passed Down Generation To Generation And If U Notice It Always Goes Back To Sumthin Biblical

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 3:54pm
  131. That sucks, horrible!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:01pm
  132. And IT WON’T End If Adults Don’t Listen To THEIR KIDS….It Won’t End If Adults Won’t STEP UP And HOLD MEETINGS Wit School Officials! Teen Suicides Will Continue As Long As ADULTS ARE LAZY And Tied Up In Themselves Instead Of Paying Attention To Warnings That Kids Are Sending Out. Many Adults Need To Get Off That Horse Of “Oh Their Just Kids, They Will Get Over It”! NO THEY WON’T CUZ THEY DIE! Pisses Me Off yo. I’m That Type Who Will Dayum Near Fight ANYBODY Over My Kids If Sumone Was To Mess Wit Em…And Yes Everyone Uses Thee Bible Against Other Saying “U Are A Sin” And Many Of Those SAME PEOPLE Are Perverted And Everythang Under Thee Sun And They Don’t Even Read Bibles Or Go To Church YET Spit Hatred In Thee Name Of “GOD”

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:02pm
  133. How many more must there be? Every parent needs to set an example of acceptance to their own children. Make sure that they understand that being a bully is not acceptable. It is time for the parents to hold their kids accountable for their actions!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:11pm
  134. i am sorry to read this. and i agree with everyone.
    IT HAS TO STOP. so people are different EVERYONE IS.
    i think people would think twice if it was against the law to bully someone and actually be put in jail everytime a person is bullied. it would save lives. or maybe that is what they want is homo’s to just die….well i got news for you, we are not. we are everywhere. AND WE ARE COMING FOR YOU.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:22pm
  135. May he rest in peace! Those of us older LGBTQ members,it will be up to us to get federal laws enacted and enforced at any age level. The Stonewall era should not be allowed to continue from grade school through nursing home age. Bullying anyone of any age is wrong. To use religion to do this is sick!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:25pm
  136. When will the suicides stop?.. or more importantly, when will the bullying stop? That is the cause of all the tragedies, it needs to end. People have to start being educated, you can’t bully anyone because they’re different, WHAT KIND OF MIND SET IS THAT?

“Never take a person’s dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you.” – Frank Barron.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:29pm
  137. Rest in peace…

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:34pm
  138. people need to get it straight that being bullied in the state of being gay is not cool im gay ive been bullied for years but i live just to make sure that the asses that once treated me like crap get there wish me being alive and bugging them haha may u rest in peace. i swear i hate when people bully others they must feel pretty shitty to themselves also. every gay,bi,lesbian, and transgender should group up into one huge fist and punch the mayor into signing a treaty to where if anti gay bulling is not allowed in any state or country or planet to where everyone gets treat the same way as any straight guy or girl.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:37pm
  139. Completely agree with Woodall Nathan. Sorry if this sounds blasphemously insensitive, but here goes.

Bullying has been going on forever. It happens, and it doesn’t just happen to people in the LGBTQ community. It happened to Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims. It’s happened to everyone at some point. There will always be someone that is going to bully you for SOMETHING, be it your skin color, your height, your weight, and yes, your sexuality. I’m a lesbian, and I got bullied. I brushed it off, because they were just words. Nobody was stupid enough to attempt to attack me though, because I’d asserted myself and let them know that I was no damn punk. Our generation and the upcoming generation has become a bunch of spineless sissies to be honest. They’re so worried about not fitting in and so ‘non-confrontational’ that they end up getting ran over, and pushed to ultimately do things like this. What happened to teaching people that ‘sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you’? It’s the truth. My heart goes out to this family, and it’s a shame he felt so degraded that he did this. But life is tough; not everyone’s going to like you or what you do. But you have to stay calm and carry on. It shows that you don’t really care about your life if you’re just going to let someone bully you into throwing it away, and on the whole, it undermines those thousands of others who DID stand up against the bullying and who DID end up leading very successful lives because they chose to stick it out. Be proud of who you are, because the little fucks talking about you aren’t worth the time you give them.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:39pm
  140. Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:47pm
  141. It is time for action!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:52pm
  142. When will teachers and volunteer staff police the hallways between classes and in Classrooms. This can be avoided.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:56pm
  143. HOW the hell do you know that this poor kid “pushed” his homosexuality on people??? who the hell do you think you are? bullying DOES hurt and it DOES need to stop its not about someone not liking you its about if they dont like you they should shut the hell up and leave you alone! im sure these bullies were “pushing” their beliefs that being gay is wrong on everyone else maybe you should think about what you write before you open your mouth and make yourself look like an ignorant ass.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 4:56pm
  144. Religion sucks, is a lie and only serves to provide an excuse for people to be stupid and do evil things to others. Simple minded people give up their reason and are brought up believing that they are right, everyone else wrong, and that empowers them to do as they please. States are passing laws saying it’s okay to bully if you claim a religious motivation. An opinion is not right to cause harm. there is no god, phillip is not in a better place, he’s just dead and he shouldn’t be.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:03pm
  145. Parents need to teach their kids not to bully other kids cause they are different. Truth is, everyone is different in their own way and kids need to realize this.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:04pm
  146. The parent’s are teaching their kids how to bully the NEXT one.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:05pm
  147. Those bigots claim it’s the victims that will be the ones going to hell but in reality those who hate/bully/judge the people who can’t help but be who they are, will be the ones to burn in Hell’s fire.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:08pm
  148. God bless Philip and his family. This awful bullying has got to stop.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:14pm
  149. Maybe it’s time again to hold the parents accountable for their children’s actions as well?

If you teach your child it’s ok to bully… to HATE… ANYONE…. or if you FAIL to teach your child the errors of his/her ways when you see they are doing wrong…. YOU PAY THE PRICE!!!

I wish these bullies could be taken somewhere and taught EXACTLY how it feels….. I think 30 days of bully therapy is in order!!!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:15pm
  150. Listen…I know this is an extremely sensitive time for the family so I’m not going to get too political here. However, it is CLEAR to me that it is NOT getting better – not just for youth – but for ALL gay men and women. Those of us who are out are missing the point here – this crisis is right in front of us – so few gay people are coming out in 2012 vs 1992 – now everyone’s hiding at home behind the computer. There are no more gay coffee shops, dances or groups. Nobody will go. It’s too easy to sit at home and not deal with life. Those groups, dances, coffee shops allowed us to SEE other gay people in real life rather than live through fantasies of the people we wish we were (wealthy, successful, perfect). These stories are just of youth who are known to have been gay – how many are dying every day who have told nobody, confided in no one, and families had no clue? We are in trouble here.

My concern is how do we even address this? Before, we had a gay/lesbian center where folks could call or stop by. Now they don’t even do that – how can we help them if we don’t know who they are or how long they’ve been isolating at home? I’m stumped on this one. I’m disappointed because I think we as a gay society overestimated the progress we’ve made – obviously, if so many are hiding at home, either they have been treated VERY badly by other gay people to the point where they completely gave up on going to a gay event again, or their families have made it clear that they will never accept their being gay.

It’s not getting better. Don’t kid yourselves. And we need to forget this gay marriage thing for now – strong gay couples will be fine for a while longer; I’m more concerned about gay people in small towns with no money to move to the progressive, gay-friendly cities that are so unaffordable now (which is another reason to lose hope if you can barely survive where you are)…I’m more interested in making sure no more gay men and women die. They have no advocacy. And we have to get rid of this social status bullshit that we pull on each other (gay people are great at this: ‘unless you look like this, have this many degrees in university, or have all this money; don’t bother talking to us because you’re not good enough’). Lose the fucking attitude and realize that other gay people are watching you and deciding based on your shitty attitude that they’d rather be dead than come out. Straight bullies aren’t as much of a problem than gay people who are so indifferent towards ‘the little gay people’ who aren’t good enough.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:26pm
  151. Bullies should be kicked out of school, and sent to reform schools! Teachers and all the top people in the schools that let this happen should loose there jobs and retirement and on the street! We the people need to stop and look at our presidential candidates and congress that thinks gay people have no rights and send them on their way without a job and retirement also! Each and every one of us have a right to be happy and free without this kind of crap in Our lives!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:28pm
  152. May he rest in peace. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:41pm
  153. RIP, Phillip. I so hope you now have the peace that you deserved to have had here on Earth. I’m so sorry that the actions of people with no common sense caused this. I didn’t know you, but I know you will be missed.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:42pm
  154. i am gay…if every gay person came OUT we would increase awareness…we are all equal. when people stop killing themselves and each other i will stop labeling myself. and if we stop talking about these issues the bullies have won. i pray peace for all concerned, including the bullies.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:46pm
  155. when is bullying goin to stop?!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:49pm
  156. so, so sad.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 5:58pm
  157. Not another one. This just breaks my heart :(
    RIP Phillip

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 6:17pm
  158. Sexual orientation needs to have the same civil rights as race and religion. We are who we are. Why can’t we just get along with no another. PLEASE, stop the bullying. It is a sad state of affairs if suicide is the only path to happiness. :(

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 6:36pm
  159. This just further proves that human beings are wicked and twisted.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 7:40pm
  160. CHARGE THIS HILLBILLIES THAT DROVE THIS KID TO SUICIDE WITH ACCESSORY TO MURDER!! Until the lowlifes that are causing are our young people to be driven to taking their own lives are put in prison for their crimes, this will not stop. In the USA we have zero tolerance for racism, yet homophobes are allowed to run rampant. Why!? Calling someone a nigger, chink, or spic is a MAJOR no-no in the US, as it should be! Yet, it’s still “cool” in some places to yell “FAGGOT!” or “DYKE!” at people just because they are different. I am sick and tired of this!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 7:47pm
  161. this so sad why cant we stop the kids that are hurting other kids!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 8:08pm
  162. To Woodall Nathan and anyone else believing a person suicides for “Fame” and that the answer is “tough love” because the world is “tough: my parents gave “tough love” and taught that the world was “tough.” I attempted suicide, however, and it was not for “fame”. It was because my life looked and felt hopeless to me. Phillip probably felt hopeless, especially since his parents went to the school authorities about the bullying – yet the violence continued. How could he have believed in a better tomorrow and from whence could he have drawn hope greater than his despair. My heart extends to his family and friends. “We are All One” so as he suffered, I suffer and so do we all.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 8:20pm
  163. No!!!!!……Oh my Lord. This is becoming an epidemic. R.I.P Phillip. You are safe now.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:26pm
  164. May God have mercy on their souls….

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:35pm
  165. Words can’t describe the anger and pain I fell right now. :.(( And I only got as far as the headline.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:41pm
  166. Woodall Nathan, you do come across rather insensitive for someone who claims to have been bullied as a child. You cannot judge a whole generation of kids by comparing yourself to them, nor can you put a whole generation into the same basket by judging the actions of a handful. Not everyone is as strong as you were, but not everyone was as weak as this young boy. But that is not the issue here. The issue is that no one is doing their duty as parents or authority figures to STOP and punish the perpetrators. I am gay myself, but I never officially came out until I was 18. My peers, who bullied me for being different as a result of being on the Autism spectrum, had their suspicions about my sexuality, but I vehemently denied any such suspicions as a means of survival. If they had known for sure that I was gay, God knows what they would have done to me (or what I would have done to myself). No matter though: my self esteem and my psychosexual, mental, and emotional well-being still suffered because I wasn’t being true to myself. This child, and dozens like him today, are strong enough to be true to themselves, but they should not have to fear for their lives. If no one steps in to do their duty, how will change ever begin?

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:42pm
  167. Everytime I think that the gay suicides have stopped another one happens. I don’t mean to be offensive by labeling them as such. The names fly over my head; it’s far to painful to hear about them in detalial and wonder who’s going to be next. I remember last year when there was the huge media rush about it last fall; the youth pastor talked to my youth group about it. I was the only one there to catch on before he told us, and he had us reflect on it while listening to Hero by Superchick. I could just feel the stares from everyone, being the token gay kid and all. We all signed an anti-bullying pledge a year ago, but that holds no merit now. I love them and all but almost no one understands what it’s like to be gay here, eberyone sweeps it under the rug. I’m sick of this. I’m sick of wondering if I or one of the (12) other gay kids I know will be next.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 9:58pm
  168. @Jonathan
    This is exactly how I feel

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:01pm
  169. I wont “like” this post, but I shared it.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:03pm
  170. rip philip -my prayers to the family

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:16pm
  171. Johnathan Lund, I understand what you are saying. I didn’t like your comment because you encourage people to give up, because it’s safer. I’m not saying people should endanger themselves, but we need to come together in the real world, if we are in the position to do so (safety first, of coarse). Cyber bullies also hide in their homes behind a computer screen. Some of them seem to be getting brave and taking it to the streets. Who will stand with those who have already come out? I will, for one. I am proactive in the real world as well. If I saw this on the street, I would make a stand. I have never allowed anyone to bully me. I have been beaten for it and I wasn’t even out (though usually they back down). Phillip could have been killed for doing the same. Instead, he gave up and took his own life. This is a very sore point for me. I have known too many people (mostly teens) who have taken their own life. We are closer than ever in our fight for equality, now is not the time to give up. Stay strong.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:21pm
  172. This has to stop!

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:23pm
  173. You know I am sad, sicken by this world. I just hear that a young man a gay man had to end his suffering by leaving his life the life of gay bashing. Look I am a 20 year old survivor of a abused life and I am hear to make a stand a impact on everyone. I been called every wrong name by two people who should be called my parents. I been thinking allot I am hear to save the younger kids who’s live is in the same shambles. This must stop we are all the same and that is it. Put this to the end put it to bed

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:35pm
  174. seen above

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:35pm
  175. this just fucking sickens me and makes me so fucking angry! if straight people were killing themselves cuz they r literally being bullied 2 death congress would of passed a bill already making it illegal or something. HOW MANY MORE AWESOME LGBT PEOPLE DO WE HAVE 2 LOOSE BE4 SOMETHING IS DONE!!!

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:04am
  176. It is infuriating to hear uninformed readers blaming the parents. In a state instituting draconian measures to vilify gay youth its a little crazy to assert that the fault lies with the family. The fault lies squarely on the bullies and the legislators rushing to outdo each other with hate-filled propaganda for political gain.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 3:10am
  177. Rest in Peace. When are people going to understand that it is THEY who are wrong, to judge, to bully, to hate & to abuse?? People who hate are just as bad as Murderes… This has got to stop. How many more?! … ;( R.I.Phillip.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 4:17am
  178. Do we have to have a kid commit suicide in each and EVERY school in the country before the knuckleheads decide they need to DO something about the bullying? CHRIST!

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 4:18am
  179. “Bullying has been going on forever.”

And it has always been wrong.

“It happens,”

Because we allow it to happen, and this is wrong.

“and it doesn’t just happen to people in the LGBTQ community. It happened to Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims.”

But right now, it’s the queers who have taken the lead in calling it out for the unacceptable behavior it is.

“It’s happened to everyone at some point.”

Which is one reason that people have come out in support of the queers, here. Everyone identifies with it, even the stereotypical 6’7″ jock who has suffered being treated like a dummy just because he looks like a human tank.

A pushover lets people walk all over him and then lets people walk all over his kids. We’re not going to do that anymore. The time for that is over.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 5:16am
  180. Another tragic event that partly can be blamed on Christian fundamentalists in the US. Bachmann and Santorum—I hate you. Only ignorant people don’t understand that homophobia mainly comes from religion. ( Hello- GAY AMERICA, I love you!) Greetings from Norway-

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 5:48am
  181. Hay Richard Floyd, you have blood on your own hand. With comments like “I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry.” this asshat should be kicked out of office.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 8:38am
  182. Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 9:32am
  183. This is so sad. Thoughts to his family.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 11:17am
  184. I remember watching the news in my dorm building common room. I felt like the breath had been knocked out of me. It breaks my heart to see so much of this and schools still do nothing about it. What is it going to take for schools to take action? How many more lives must be lost?

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 12:41pm
  185. I just can bring my self to read these stories anymore. The frustration and hurt i feel for these kids and there families is real. Something drastic needs to be done and fast. We can’t keep allowing tragedies like this to happen. Most importantly we, as the gay community, need to come together and become just that! A Community. We need to support our LGBT youth in the most trying times of there lives.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 1:34pm
  186. Ciao Miei Amici! (Hello My Friends)

Dear brothers and sisters, LGBTQ and straight! When are we going to have had enough of this “National Horror and Shame”! It’s been almost 30 years since a boy I once loved (Bobby Griffith/Prayers for Bobby) took his own life! And I never dreamt that this “Horrifically Profane” phenomenon would actually follow me into this, the 21st Century! And with such alarming frequency!Much of the shame squarely belongs to persons in positions of “Power or Authority” Ya know, what all these troubled sweet kids call “Grown Ups”! I’m sickened by this and vow to “Publicly” denounce any who’ve turned a “Blind Eye”, dismissed, or failed in their obligations to our children!
    Blaine W. Andrews

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 4:39pm
  187. I truly am outraged at the fact that people are not doing any OFFICIAL thing to stop this. I mean yes we have the “It Get’s Better Project” and people like “Lady Gaga” who support but when it comes down to another teen-YES A TEEN!- bullied because of their sexual orientation… It’ makes me absolutely sick to my stomach that people are not doing anything to stop this.

And another thing. How can these Bullies have a the right mind to bully others because of the sexual orientation… Someone please clarify that to me because I truly can’t see why someone would do that.

IF YOU DON’T HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, KEEP THAT MOUTH SHUT AND LET PEOPLE LIVE A LIFE.

May Phillip Parker’s beautiful soul rest in peace. ♥

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 8:51pm
  188. Hey Daryll,

Please stop pushing your ignorance off on everybody else. Thanks.

Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 at 9:13pm
  189. So sorry for Phillip and his family. My thoughts are with you.

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 3:07am
  190. Darryl J.-You totally lack knowledge about homosexuality, both historically and from a sociological point of wiev. START READING!

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 4:14am
  191. Darryl J.-You totally lack knowledge about homosexuality, both historically and from a sociological point of view. START READING!

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 4:18am
  192. The problem is that too many theologians can’t keep their own personal feelings from effecting what they think the Bible says.

There is actually no condemnation of homosexuals in the Holy bible, only homophobic theologians who SAY the Bible condemns homosexuality because THEY condemn homosexuality.

Many good, honest theologians, like myself, are putting aside “tradition” and our personal feelings and reading what the Bible really says and not what we want it to say.

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 10:31am
  193. So, dear Alicia C.S.-Start fighting those “fascistic” theologians and their interpretation, an interpretation that has been supreme for hundreds of years-and caused so much suffering and death; almost impossible for us to conceive.
    Good luck- and all the best. A warm hug from an elderly man in Norway, who has known 7-seven- gay persons who committed suicide because of violence and suppression from 1960 till 1975.(In a town with less than 100000 inhabitants)

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 1:09pm