News

Oklahoma man who sued over ‘IM GAY’ license plates died of accidental overdose

Oklahoma man who sued over ‘IM GAY’ license plates died of  accidental overdose
Kimmel

An Oklahoma man who sued the state over a proposed “IM GAY” license plate likely died of an accidental drug overdose, and not from injuries he allegedly received from Tulsa police officers.

Kimmel

According to an autopsy report from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Keith Kimmel, 28, died on March 31 from acute oxycodone toxicity.

Reports the Tulsa World:

Days before his death, Kimmel complained to the Tulsa Police Department that officers had physically abused him. He said officers injured him when he was forced to leave a Tulsa gay club, the End Up, late March 26.

During Kimmel’s autopsy, a pathologist found a large “road rash” abrasion on his abdomen and other injuries but stated that no fatal trauma was identified.

Instead, Kimmel probably died from “acute oxycodone toxicity,” according to the report. That essentially means he took too many pain pills.

Kimmel sued the state in February after the Oklahoma Tax Commission turned down his request for an “IM GAY” license tag. The agency had said the tag could be offensive to the general public.

As closing arguments near, Judge poses 39 tough questions to Prop 8 litigants

Previous article

Advisory panel recommends upholding ban on blood donations from gay men

Next article