Wednesday, July 30, 2014California will see its first-ever openly gay governor on Wednesday as out Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins fills in, briefly, while other state officials are traveling outside of California. The state this week is cycling through four…
Tuesday, June 17, 2014SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins, the first lesbian to lead a house of the California Legislature, said Tuesday that more work needs to be done to promote tolerance of gays and lesbians, especially in…
Wednesday, January 22, 2014SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California state Assembly Majority Leader Toni Atkins of San Diego has been chosen by her Democratic colleagues to succeed Speaker John A. Pérez as the next Speaker of the Assembly.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a bill designed to make it easier for transgender Californians to obtain birth certificates reflecting name and gender changes.
Monday, September 9, 2013SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The California state Senate on Friday approved a bill to provide transgender citizens improved access to legal name changes and identity documents that accurately reflect their gender identity.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013SACRAMENTO -- A California Senate committee on Wednesday approved a bill that would require public schools to respect a transgender student’s gender identity in all school programs, activities, and facilities.
- Virginia panel OKs bill mandating school restroom use based on biological sex
- At brutal stabbing trial, mother testifies her son isn't antigay
- California bill would open all single-stall restrooms to anyone
- Street gang member indicted in transgender teen's death
- The top 5 things Obama should discuss at The State of the Union -- but probably won't