Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean, east of the Dominican Republic and west of both the United States Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2016There's great confusion about the future of same-sex couples seeking to get married on the island.
- Sunday, February 14, 2016Puerto Rican judge Maite Oronoz Rodriguez has been nominated to head the U.S. territory’s Supreme Court as the first openly gay chief justice in the United States.
- Thursday, December 10, 2015The ruling involves a woman whose longtime partner gave birth to a girl through artificial insemination.
- Monday, October 12, 2015Teachers will no longer be allowed to discipline students who prefer to wear pants instead of skirts or vice versa.
- Sunday, August 16, 2015Over 60 couples from around the region have gathered in Puerto Rico's capital to exchange vows at a same-sex marriage ceremony.
- Friday, June 26, 2015Just hours after the U.S. Supreme Court's same-sex marriage decision, Puerto Rico's governor signed an executive order requiring government agencies to become compliant with the ruling within 15 days.
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015A lawsuit challenging a Puerto Rico law defining marriage as between a man and a woman has been put on hold pending a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Friday, March 20, 2015Secretary of Justice César Miranda said he will submit a brief to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, saying he agrees the ban is unconstitutional and should be lifted.