Pope Francis, born Jorge Mario Bergoglio (b. Dec. 17, 1936) is the 266th and current pope of the Catholic Church, a position also holding the roles of Sovereign of Vatican City and the Bishop of Rome. Born in Buenos Aires as the son of Italian parents, Bergoglio was ordained a priest in 1969. From 1973 to 1979 he was Argentina’s Provincial superior of the Society of Jesus. He became Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 1998, and a cardinal in 2001. Following the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, on 13 March 2013 the papal conclave elected Bergoglio, who chose the papal name Francis in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi. Francis is the first Jesuit pope, the first pope from the Americas, and the first from the Southern Hemisphere. [ Wikipedia ]
- Wednesday, May 18, 2016Catholic government officials should have the "freedom of conscience" to discriminate against gay people.
- Sunday, April 17, 2016"It is always irresponsible to invite adolescents to toy with their bodies," he writes.
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016Even before the Davis affair, Vigano stirred controversy and was best known for his role in the first Vatileaks scandal.
- Friday, April 8, 2016In many ways the document is most significant for what it doesn't say.
- Thursday, March 24, 2016The Vatican has so far refused to denounce the bishops' statement and won't rebuke a Cardinal in the Dominican Republic who continues to call the American ambassador a "faggot."
- Monday, March 14, 2016Vatican observers expected Pope Francis to quietly remove the Archbishop who spurred outrage by hosting a meeting with the lawbreaking Kentucky clerk.
- Saturday, January 23, 2016"There can be no confusion between the family God wants and any other type of union”.
- Tuesday, January 12, 2016"I prefer that homosexuals come to confession, that they stay close to the Lord, and that we pray all together."
- Tuesday, December 15, 2015A Democratic senator called on Pope Francis Tuesday to intervene with a cardinal who's made derogatory comments about an openly gay man.
- Monday, November 30, 2015Pope Francis dismissed a question about whether condoms can be condoned in the fight against AIDS -- by saying there are more important issues in the world.