Missouri

Students form human wall to block Westboro Baptist protest at Mizzou

Saturday, February 15, 2014
Colin Murphy for LGBTQ NationAn estimated 2,000 students and supporters formed a human wall blocking view of Westboro Baptist Church protesters from the Mizzou campus on Saturday.

Colin Lovett for LGBTQ Nation

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Members of the Westboro Baptist Church, home of the anti-gay extremists behind the “Gods Hate Fags” and “God hates the World” fundamentalist movement, on Saturday protested the coming out of Missouri football player Michael Sam outside Mizzou Arena on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia.

An estimated 2,000 students and supporters formed a “Stand with Sam” human wall blocking view of the protesters from campus.

Colin Murphy for LGBTQ NationA Westboro Baptist Church member protests Michael Sam's coming out.

Michael Rockafellow for LGBTQ Nation
A Westboro Baptist Church member protests Michael Sam’s coming out.

Colin Murphy for LGBTQ NationA Westboro Baptist Church member speaks with local media outside Mizzou on Saturday.

Michael Rockafellow for LGBTQ Nation

Colin Murphy for LGBTQ NationStudents for a human shield to block Westboro protestors' view of the Mizzou campus.

Colin Lovett for LGBTQ Nation
Students form a human shield to block Westboro protestors’ view of the Mizzou campus.

“I came out just to stand by a cause that I think is really worthy and to show that love really is greater than hate,” said Rachel Bauer, a graduate student at Mizzou.

Sam, a former defensive end for Missouri’s football team, came out publicly in interviews last week and could become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

The 6-foot-2, 260-pound senior completed a stellar season for Missouri, which finished 12-2 and won the Cotton Bowl. He was named a first-team all-American. He was the defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference, widely considered the top league in college football. Teammates voted him Missouri’s most valuable player.

“I think that it was brave and I was proud of him. I’m also proud of Mizzou because they didn’t make an issue of it. I think today was more about celebrating Michael Sam rather than anything to do with Westboro Baptist,” said Sarah Senff, also a student at Mizzou.

Later in the evening, Mizzou fans gave Sam a standing ovation at Missouri basketball game, Sam’s first public appearance since coming out.

Sam’s decision to go public about his sexual orientation came less than two weeks before the NFL Draft Combine in Indianapolis, an event where draft prospects show off their skills and are tested by the 32 NFL teams.

Accordingly, the SEC’s co-defensive player of the year is about to find out if America’s most popular sport, rooted in machismo and entrenched in locker room hijinks, is ready for its first openly gay player.

“The Constitution is a beautiful things,” a Columbia police officer said to passers by as he watched over the WBC clan, who held anti-LGBT signs and sang bastardized versions of songs by Carrie Underwood and others.

Based in Topeka, Kan., the Westboro church is not affiliated with the Baptist denomination or any other Baptist church. According to news reports, almost all of its members — fewer than 100 — are related to founder Fred Phelps either by blood or marriage.

The group has protested myriad LGBT funerals and is best known for protesting at the funerals of U.S. service members. The group came into the national spotlight in 1998, when it picketed at the funeral of Matthew Shepard, a 21-year-old gay man who was brutally attacked on the night of October 6, 1998, then tied to a fence and left to die.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Missouri, [ Editor's Picks ], [ Trending ]

1. These asshole need to be shut down by any means

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:24pm
  2. This is a disgusting display, of judgmental, ignorant, bigotry.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:24pm
  3. Telling someone that they cannot marry whomever they please, is like telling someone that they cannot have a donut because your on a diet.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:48pm
  4. Rick, the great thing is that there is almost always a counter display of amazing people like these students overshadowing them.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:01pm
  5. As funny as our German fundamentalists. They hold signs like: "Gays are aids sluts", "God bless aids" and sometimes they throw red water at you and scream "here's your aids" Some people just don't get their religion..

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:02pm
  6. LOVE is LOUDER... and the LOVE 'blocked' these dirty bigots! <3

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:47pm
  7. Burn in hell dumb bitch

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:25pm
  8. you mean asshole church! These guys talk so much trash! Ignorance is high on them. Protesting against peoples rights? Get out!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:25pm
  9. They do know that “fag enablers” is literally saying “cigarette enablers”… Right?

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:25pm
  10. you mean tobacco company?

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:32pm
  11. He's just trying to stop the use of cigarettes guys! (Sarcasm) xD

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:39pm
  12. do you accept my decision to never wear high top sneakers? yes or no?? I have a right to not wear high tops.It doesn't effect you or anyone. Don't judge me for that

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:45pm
  13. Dude, everybody ignored the high top sneaker remark the first time. Repeating it won't help. Though I will say I get what you're trying to say.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:03pm
  14. Actually the word means stupid look it up cause I know they didn't :)

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:39pm
  15. Should have been a wall of flame throwers.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:25pm
  16. Please stop giving the douchebags at the WBC any more thought. They may have the freedom of speech, but we could have the freedom not to listen to their bulls#it. End of rant.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  17. RIGHT! No more media coverage of these fools. Then thy can go back to their hillbilly lives thumping their bible while they're humping their sisters.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:54pm
  18. I think its great that people come together to this, I think its just sad that they have to do it SO MUCH Becouse of one group of crazies!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  19. Aren’t they wonderful Christians? Sense the sarcasm, please!!!! Bunch if hypocrites!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  20. that's all there kind does? condemn other people and there lives? history shows that religion is/has been bloody as hell

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:48am
  21. Wow, they are angry!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  22. Ignorance will never die. So sad people think they are perfect. God will judge him.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  23. Each person is entitled to their own option even if it is way out dated….Sorry for them!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:26pm
  24. These ‘people’ need killing. And I do mean it. The less vile, hatred driven people like this in the world, the better !

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:27pm
  25. She looks cold, why won’t some one light her on fire?

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:27pm
  26. Or douse her water. See if she dissolves or freezes to death

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:09am
  27. The witch would melt if she had water tossed on her. Hey, nice idea!

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:30am
  28. “Hmm, what to do with my Saturday? I know, spew venom and hate!”

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:27pm
  29. On the Path with Mayakovsky

Eduardo Alves da Costa

As the child
    humbly cuddles
    the image of the hero,
    so I approach you, Mayakovsky .
    No matter what happens to me
    By walking shoulder to shoulder
    with a Soviet poet.
    Reading your verses ,
    I learned to have courage.

You know ,
    know better than I
    the old story .
    On the first night they approach
    and steal a flower
    from our garden .
    And do not say anything .
    On the second night , if not longer hide :
    trample the flowers ,
    kill our dog ,
    and do not say anything .
    Until one day ,
    the weakest of them
    entered alone in our house ,
    robs us of the light and
    knowing our fear ,
    pluck us the voice of the throat .
    And we can not say anything.

Nowadays
    anyone is given
    lay his head
    oblivious to the terror.
    The humble bow their necks ;
    and we who do not have any pact
    with the masters of the world ,
    become silent out of fear .
    In the silence of my fourth
    boldness afogueia my cheeks
    and I fantasize an uprising ;
    but morning
    before the judge ,
    maybe my lips
    shut the truth
    as a source of germs
    able to destroy me .

Look around
    and I see
    and I end up repeating
    are lies .
    Little does the child tell mother
    and propaganda destroys his conscience .
    To me , almost drag me
    by the collar of his jacket
    at the temple gate
    and ask me to wait
    until Democracy
    should appear on the counter .
    But I know ,
    because I’m not afraid
    the point of blinding , she has a sword
    to jab him in the ribs
    and laughter that shows us
    is a thin curtain
    launched on arsenals .

Come to the field
    and do not see them on our side ,
    at planting .
    But at the time of harvest
    are there
    and ultimately to steal
    until the last grain of wheat .
    They tell us that the power emanates from us
    but we always against us .
    They tell us that we need
    defend our homes
    but if we rebel against oppression
    is upon us marching soldiers .

And for fear I shut up
    fearing accepted the condition
    fake Democrat
    and label my gestures
    with the word freedom,
    searching , a smile ,
    hide my pain
    before my superiors.
    But inside me ,
    with the power of a million voices ,
    heart cries – LIE !

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:28pm
  30. These sick judgmental church!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:28pm
  31. The only thing unGodly is the look in Shirley Phelps eyes. After their bit of performance art this summer in Montana I’m convinced that it’s a pseudo sexual act of self gratification.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:28pm
  32. And who made her Jesus or god…

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:29pm
  33. They’re slowly become irrelevant.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:29pm
  34. That person in the pic looks so sad holding 4 signs :D

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:29pm
  35. They are banned from entering the UK, thank god.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:30pm
  36. Nice job kids….thank you!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:30pm
  37. these people are as sick as they come

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:30pm
  38. Shouldn’t people who spread hate propaganda at least have to pat taxes? I think they’re spoiled by their tax exempt status.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:30pm
  39. They are ashamed to be from here they needs to leave

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:31pm
  40. Why hasn’t this nut job been struck by lightening – or a bus – yet?!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:31pm
  41. I love it when people, gay and straight, come together and stand up against this group that perverts and poisons true Christianity.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:31pm
  42. I hope, one day, the entire WBC is locked in a building that gets set on fire.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:31pm
  43. Everyone might be entitled to their opinion and that’s fine. But displaying it so openly and in such a disgraceful way. Crashing in on funerals of soldiers, wishing for more victims of 9/11 etc. That’s when it goes beyond ‘opinion’ and becomes a CRIME ! Why aren’t these animals arrested and locked up ??!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:32pm
  44. Because in 2011 the supreme court outrageously ruled in the case of Snyder v. Phelps that these assholes have more rights then the grieving friends and family members.

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:21am
  45. An example of religion gone wrong!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:32pm
  46. I think its a beautiful day when people stand up to this kind of hate. There signs read just how ignorant they can be. LGBT soldiers die to to protect their freedom and allow for them to hold up those ignorant signs. Thank all those for coming out and standing up for Love and isolating hate:)<3

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:32pm
  47. The right to free speech doesn’t give you the right to be an outright bigot -_- How have these guys not gotten a bullet put through their heads yet?

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:32pm
  48. Public defamation and even cyber bullying is illegal, yet this is allowed? I just don't get it... It seems the government is very choosey on what they want to be "illegal".

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:40pm
  49. I too am surprised they haven't been at least shot at. I guess LGBT people are more tolerant and less likely to resort to violence. I'd like to make smore's watching their church burn to the ground!

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:44pm
  50. I don't believe they have a church building.

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:09am
  51. God does not teach us to hate , he teachs us to love. this church should lose it's tax exempt status and license.

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:29am
  52. Karma is looking for them.. She’ll locate them soon enough! Pure evil.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:33pm
  53. Much as I hate firearms (I’m from the UK) there are some for whom I’d make an exception.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:33pm
  54. Stop giving them attention. They will go away.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:34pm
  55. It’s a cult not a church. And I’m so proud of the people who stand up to them & block the families from dealing with these sick people. It really shows when people stand together they can accomplish great things. Even if it doesn’t stop these sick people, those who stand show them we won’t back down in what we believe in either. And if they’re going to show up, so are we & going to make it harder for them to attempt to spread their hatred!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:34pm
  56. They protested my wedding, not in theory but in person. They LOVE HATE. :O(

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:34pm
  57. @ pup, yeah, I guess. I’m just using the English language to correct the meaning of the word “fag” which translates to cig and it’s short for cigarette.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:36pm
  58. that ass hole church is lucky I’m not there.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:36pm
  59. Why can’t these people fall into a landfill.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:37pm
  60. there is a special place in hell for these baptist jackoffs

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:38pm
  61. Now this is protesting a protest!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:38pm
  62. Stop giving them attention. They will go away.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:38pm
  63. These people are not repersenting Jesus. They are so horrible

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:38pm
  64. You are exactly right. Those Westboro nuts are the worst kind of hypocrites. Frightening.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:54pm
  65. Lol

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:38pm
  66. Good job send them wack jobs back to thepollpits of hell

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:40pm
  67. the fact that 2000 students came to stand to block 100( or less) protesters says hatred is not being tolerated and hopefully very soon we can all have equal rights, love whoever we choose!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:41pm
  68. I hated them before, But now it’s personal.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:41pm
  69. it would’ve been better if they all would have kicked their asses…..

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:41pm
  70. Prime example of the effects of religion on society.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:41pm
  71. Please let her freeze to death cos that level of stupid is terminal….

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:41pm
  72. These bigots have a special place in the fires of Hell waiting for them.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:42pm
  73. End their tax exemption! This is not a church, it’s a hate group!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:43pm
  74. trust me their are preopleing working onit

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:09am
  75. It’s a sad thing to spread that hate some one should blow up their cult oooopppsss I mean “church”

Hate is NOT a “Christian” value!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:43pm
  76. is a petition to get there website taken down

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:43pm
  77. jesus is love.. the other one is hate

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:44pm
  78. And this is why I hate that I live in topeka, ks. But I do what i can to protest them. Like not shopping at hobby lobby..

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:44pm
  79. thay might have fredom of spceeh but its still a hate crime

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:44pm
  80. Their game is old. I don’t even find it offensive anymore.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:45pm
  81. Westboro Church members need to get a life! Worry about your own problems and leave people alone, I know that is what my God would want! Who are you to judge ones sexuality! Go protest at the Vatican against Priests molesting innocent children if you want to make a statement. Tired of hearing about this dumb ass church! There members are idiots!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:45pm
  82. Do you really think this is the way GOD wants people “Christians” to display their ignorance? And they have the nerve to call themselves Christians! (The Devil himself is more of a christian than they are!!) MAKES ME SICK!!! (If you agree with these peoples thinking then you may want to really think about who your “GOD” really is!!! Just my view point!!! (Anyone agree with me?)

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:45pm
  83. The power of the people!!!! .stand strong that human wall ! That church just teaches hatred.. shame on them

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:45pm
  84. Is that a church or a gang of monsters ???!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:47pm
  85. Those type of people do not know what love and compassion are..

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:48pm
  86. they are just nuts with picket signs.They think there doing gods will,fools.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:51pm
  87. Does anyone else see the irony of responding to this post with threats of violence in response to people who use threats of violence? Ignore them, they’ll disappear soon enough, sinking to their level won’t help.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:53pm
  88. someone should tell her pride is a sin.. the deadliest of them in fact.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:55pm
  89. Someone just drop a fucking nuke on these people already

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:56pm
  90. Why are they so negative all the time?????? Takes fewer muscles to smile

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:56pm
  91. really got nothing better to do

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:56pm
  92. I hate those people

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:57pm
  93. Stupid West Boro, you’re behind in knowledge. I bet none of them passed any of their science courses in high school/college.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:57pm
  94. In the comments a couple that stood out to me deal with the question if this so called church receives a tax exempt status?

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:57pm
  95. This is true James Tre…….they are clearly gigantic fools. Mr. T. Would be unimpressed

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:58pm
  96. GOD HATES people that stand out in the snow with signed like this and don’t freeze to death!! I can’t stand these morons!! Can they just move to their own planet in another galaxy and leave us normal people alone???? PLLLLEEEEZE!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 10:59pm
  97. I’d like to FAG them all into oblivion! But they’ll be in HELL soon enough!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:00pm
  98. They’re a cult. Period.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:02pm
  99. lol someone escaped and is terrorising the village

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:02pm
  100. Hate and God – Two things that will never go together. These people should come out of the closet and admit they are nothing more than bigoted atheists.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:02pm
  101. Yes a soldier did die for gays and guess What hundreds of gay soldiers died for asholes like u. Smh

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:02pm
  102. Such anger and hate… People with such hate in their hearts need love badly. Oh so badly. I can’t imagine being such a hateful person to an entire group of people. Serious prayers for an open heart and big love coming your way Westboro Baptist Church. You need God’s REAL love more than any of us.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:04pm
  103. Alexavier Albert Moreno “So you like fags do you? Well here have a whole carton of fags.” lol

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:06pm
  104. GOD does not hate, period. Just you people who are evil & judgemental which is against GOD’s ruling & commandants.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:06pm
  105. People should hurl bags of feces at Westborough.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:08pm
  106. It is a testament to the patience of Americans that this scum hasn’t been shot dead.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:08pm
  107. I think this is one of those rare times when it would be okay to turn loose a Sabre Red grenade for testing purposes. Nothing like 15 sq ft of 2m Scoville pepper spray followed by rubber buckshot to get folks polite and help them find Jesus! LOL, not promoting violence just sayin it would serve these folks right to get pepper sprayed on an EPIC scale. They don’t have to like it or approve of the lifestyle, but they dang sure have no right to judge folks for being what GOD MADE THEM! Love ya’s!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:09pm
  108. westboro baptist church needs to die

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:09pm
  109. WBC, please…. They’re so inbred their family tree looks like a stick.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:09pm
  110. oh Shirley you are so attractive;)

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:10pm
  111. Spending so much time hating. I hope some part of their lives is happy.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:11pm
  112. Gay people should take hot chocolate and coffee to them.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:11pm
  113. Ignorance begets fear which begets anger which begets nutjob fundamentalists turning their practice of extremist religion into a cause for spreading hate and violence…but you can just call them Westbouro Baptist Church or a better description is simply Domestic Terrorists…

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:11pm
  114. crazy people

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:13pm
  115. Truly disgusting people. God would never be okay with that.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:13pm
  116. DO PEOPLE REALLY THINK BANNING CHANGES ANYTHING IF GOD CREATED US IN HIS IMAGE WHATS THE PROBLEM?????WHAT A FEARFUL SOCIETY WE HAVE BECOME WE FEAR WHAT WE DON’T UNDERSTAND SAD!!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:14pm
  117. Burn the haters.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:15pm
  118. i hate them i think they should be calssified as a hate group

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:15pm
  119. Cure.f Gays,Bi de Temple,power of.Her.God.will set.you.straight,Cure.f Gays.R K L

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:16pm
  120. Wow, brought tears to my eyes, there is still so many amazing people on this earth to stand by the LGBT community makes you proud to be a human… BLESS THEIR NOBLE HEARTS and SOULS…

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:18pm
  121. this is a real disgusting show of ignorance and stupidity

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:19pm
  122. Fuck them all. Stupid assholes.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:19pm
  123. They just want attention towards this delusion they’ve created.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:19pm
  124. Anon Didn’t do a good enough job of defacing them.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:20pm
  125. These people are sick motherf—-rs

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:22pm
  126. They don’t understand their own religion gay and catholic I’m happy period .

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:22pm
  127. i hope she catches pneumonia and never recovers. i normally wouldn’t wish death upon anyone. westboro is a special exception. they aren’t even human…they’re deplorable garbage.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:24pm
  128. This guy needs a serious dose of fuckin reality..or a life…

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:28pm
  129. I just read on their “God hates fags” website that they have picketed 52,136 times. Why have they not been shut down by the government and how are they affording to travel all over the nation 52,136 times? Something is fishy and very illegal going on here!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:30pm
  130. As a "church", WBC pays no taxes. Their income is derived from lawsuits. Shirley Phelps is a shark of a lawyer. People don't like her, but they hire her. She also sues towns & cities who refuse to issue permits. They have their own buses so they rarely have to pay transportation costs.

Replied on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:43pm
  131. Holy cow, that's insane. I knew she was a lawyer, and a ruthless on at that, but I never thought she was actually winning suits against cities and towns for not issuing permits for them to picket. I also know they were declared a hate group by the president but I don't understand. If they have been recognized as a hate group, what does that do? It doesn't seem like it has done much at all..

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:01am
  132. I think in the event of future protests from Westboro, those who are going to form the human barrier should take a hint from that now famous tran lady and each person take a goodly sized stone with them to lay at the feet of the protesters as a challenge to put their money where their posters are. If they’re so adamant about death for gays, let them get started with the stonings themselves, that is, if they really have the courage of their convictions.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:30pm
  133. FUCK U ALL! It’s happening weither YOU LIKE IT OR NOT! I will marry my wife just like u guys protested freeing slavering this too shall PASS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:34pm
  134. What if I told you that if just ignore Westburo, they will go away?

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:36pm
  135. Pull their 501C3 status they’ll learn that hate costs then!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:37pm
  136. Lunatics…disgusting excuses for human beings…yet they call themselves Christians.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:38pm
  137. Would this country realize this is a hate group hiding behind religion and finally oust them, these people sicken me.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:39pm
  138. Way to go MU students

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:39pm
  139. UUggghhh! I never like Westboro Baptist Church at all!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:39pm
  140. The man needs Christian counseling and psychotherapy.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:40pm
  141. Should have soaked them with water and watched them freeze our go away to warm up

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:41pm
  142. Just look at those poor heathens… They’re the sinners of their own made up God… Pitiful really…

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:42pm
  143. PURE ignorance on the HETEROSEXUAL community

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:42pm
  144. Ruth Ann, the word fag doesn’t mean stupid. It means cigarette. Look it up in the UK dictionary which is technically the “correct” way of the English language.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:43pm
  145. I am so proud of the students and supporters! There is hope.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:48pm
  146. LOVE what these kids did!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:50pm
  147. assbags

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:52pm
  148. Death penalty for fags? Modern day Hitler’s these people are..

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:53pm
  149. I would honestly go but Columbia is insane during basketball games. And I live on the other side of town

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:56pm
  150. So sad !!! So much energy put into something so negative. These people with get there’s. Love is love no matter who you are!!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:56pm
  151. The ugliest drag queen, I’ve ever seen a bear raped her ass in the woods.

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:57pm
  152. Westboro should be shut down by the government already!!!

Posted on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 11:59pm
  153. I see some comparison with Germany, in the 30´s here.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:00am
  154. Sick fucks

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:00am
  155. If god hates fag so
    Much he should tell straight people to stop having gay babies!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:00am
  156. As a Baptist, I am grateful the reported noted this church of idiots isn’t associated with the Baptist denomination or any other Baptist Church.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:02am
  157. Fucking Idiots.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:04am
  158. This guy so reminds me of Leatherface.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:06am
  159. I don’t mind a protest it’s free speak but the Westbore Baptist Church gives real protesters bad names.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:07am
  160. Christ said “Love One Another”, no ifs or buts, no caveats !! Where did Christ endorse “Hate” ? Nowhere !!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:08am
  161. Fag
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Page semi-protected
    Look up fag in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
    Fag may refer to:
    Fag, a British and Australian colloquialism for cigarette
    Fag, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant (“fagging”) to a senior boy at a British public school
    Fag, or faggot (slang), an American English slur for a homosexual.
    A short form used among stock exchange traders for the stock of Antofagasta PLC
    FAG may refer to:
    Fagurhólsmýri Airport, Iceland (IATA code)
    Fuerza Aérea Guatemalteca, the Guatemalan Air Force
    Fluorescein angiography, a medical procedure
    Find A Grave, a web listing of gravesites
    Fuerzas Armadas Guanches, a terrorist group in the Canary Islands
    Federação Anarquista Gaúcha, Brazilian anarchist organization
    FAG, a brand of Schaeffler Group
    FAGS (candy), former brand of candy cigarette ‘fags’ in Australia

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:09am
  162. also......fag1 fag/Submit nounBRIT.informal 1. a tiring or unwelcome task. "it's too much of a fag to drive all the way there and back again" verbBRIT.informal 1. work hard, esp. at a tedious job or task. "he didn't have to fag away in a lab to get the right answer"...... AND THEN THERE IS........Faggot, often shortened to fag, is a pejorative term used chiefly in North America primarily to refer to a gay man.[3][4][5] Alongside its use to refer to homosexual men in particular, it may also be used as a pejorative term for a "repellent male" or a homosexual of either gender.[5][6][7] Its use has spread from the United States to varying extents elsewhere in the English-speaking world through mass culture, including film, music, and the Internet.

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:12am
  163. Monsters of religion.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:10am
  164. May God judge harshly those who hate.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:10am
  165. This so called church needs to be outlawed!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:13am
  166. I drove 7.5 hrs to get married.so keep hating, if there is a will there is a way!!!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:19am
  167. okay old lady go take your signs and put away so far up your ass and go back to yarnville okay

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:21am
  168. fags bash back, and believe me they won’t like it.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:21am
  169. my friend kicked some homophobic guy's ass once, then he said "isn't it some embarrassing shit when a faggot kicks your ass?" lols. classic.

Replied on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:22am
  170. When these haters meet their maker, they are going to be in for a big surprise. God don’t like hate or ugly and this is pure ugly behavior. I suggest bringing explosives next time and tossing them at these assholes the next time they want to spew their hateful toxic words.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:21am
  171. These people….dont understand their own holy
    Book…lord forgive them.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:21am
  172. And how about
    We stop reporting about them? Seems like the only ones keeping them in the media is yous all

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:22am
  173. Don’t worry soon they will inbreed themselves out of existence. No one in their right mind joins this family. So they have to procreate with their brothers and sisters to try to keep the hate going! Lol! They have helped us to equal rights, because most people know they are crazy fools.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:25am
  174. These idiots put the effort into this, & they won’t get anything out of it. Jackasses……..Chicago.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:25am
  175. In the early post 9-11 days I heard and joined many Christians who proclaimed “if Islam is a religion of peace then why are there not thousands of Muslims in the streets protesting the actions of a few terrorists who have distorted our religion. Well, today I point that finger at myself and my fellow Christians and say “if we are a religion of love then why are there not thousands of us in the streets protesting terrorists like the WBC”. If we are going to model our lives after Christ then a demonstration like this should not make news it should be commonplace. God bless you students who stood up to this perversion of Christianity and I am ashamed that there were not more of us (including me) with you. May the voices of the many faithful loving Christians drown out and eliminate the few who would tell the world our Go

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:27am
  176. Hate mongers

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:28am
  177. yeah let them freeze out in the snow and cool! stupid fools.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:28am
  178. d is a God of condemnation ad hatred.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:28am
  179. Would love to get my hands around their neck!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:29am
  180. Westboro is already on file with the government as a hate group. They need a couple more meetings with outlaw bikers. Despicable excuses for human beings.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:32am
  181. God loves everyone. Godless people hate out of fear and ignorance.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:35am
  182. lol!!!! i’d stand there and say YES I’M GOING TO HELL because my path was not chosen by you.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:36am
  183. We need to rid the world of these hateful people!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:37am
  184. They hide behind loopholes, I think they should be exiled to a country that favors them. Send them to Russia. or the Middle East or Africa. They will fit in with the persecution of gays in those parts of the world.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:38am
  185. LOL they going to be in hell before anyone

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:40am
  186. I agree send these US terrorist away or give them the same punishment that other terrorists receive.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:40am
  187. How I see it, the WBC is like today’s version of the KKK. They won’t last long and they won’t win. They’re just lucky the elements of harmony only exist in Equestria.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:42am
  188. I am absolutely horrified by this group.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:43am
  189. Yes, hit them in the wallet. It may be the only place they have feelings.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:46am
  190. This should be an embarrassment to all people of faith and to the human race. They are not a church and should not be getting tax breaks.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:48am
  191. Didnt anyone tell her a fag is a bundle of sticks. Not a name for a human being.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:48am
  192. It sickens me that i live 40 minutes from these hate mongers.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:50am
  193. Unfortunately, some states are making this perfectly legal by making it legal to discriminate on someone based on religion. If their “religion” believes that homosexual’s are the downfall of the country, their behavior is perfectly legal in states like Arizona. It’s our fault as a country for enabling groups like this.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:51am
  194. Wow, some people are so hateful. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t support same sex marriage, but neither to I hate same sex attracted people, nor do I treat them in any disrespectfully. No one should be treated like this.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:52am
  195. NO, SOLDIERS DIED SO GAYS COULD MARRY! Not cigarettes! The dumb bit*# needs to get her facts straight.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:53am
  196. Unfortunately the state government of kansas, in the same town as these people, have passed a bill allowing discrimination. It makes me sick.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:53am
  197. Closets are the worst! To be so unhappy to hate another human being means hate for oneself!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 12:54am
  198. just want to say if she is literal interpretor of the Bible citing laws/abominations found in the old testament, holding the sign, death penalty for gays– lets go ALL THE WAY! How many of us Christians follow everything under the law found in the old testament and according to literal interpertation should be put to death. I would like to know who would be around to stone the last man/woman standing to death. Really dont have to worry, thanks to Jesus who paid it all, we dont live under the curse of the old testament- LAWS. “He without sin cast the first stone”. Ms. would you please lay down your stone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:01am
  199. The Church, most sadly and unfortunately, does have a right to stage such a disgraceful and vile protest, however of equal importance to note is that the citizens have an equal right to counter – protest their protest by filing case with their local government asking for such helpful items as restraining orders, barriers, and staging a protest of their own.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:08am
  200. F$$$ing biggots make me sick

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:09am
  201. The Westboro Baptist Church and its flock of gutter rat followers need to be dropped down an outhouse poop shoot. Problem is, most outhouses are too good for this bunch.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:17am
  202. Will someone arrest them and throw away the key!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:18am
  203. These losers are always laughable! Such a sack of scum!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:27am
  204. Westboro baptist church Satan’s recruiters

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:29am
  205. And all because Fred Phelps had a disconcerting homosexual encounter while on a trip to West Point.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:31am
  206. Sometimes the Right to Free Speech needs to be questioned…. especially where Religious Zealots are concerned….

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:37am
  207. Thankyou to all the LGBTI and straight allies, who get that a free world without hate , is a world where respect , and love can thrive ! Hate is for Bigots ,who can now have all the empty Closets , because Love is Greater than Hate !

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:42am
  208. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, some should keep theirs to themselves. You can think or believe however you like, just stop trying to get other folks to follow in your bigotry. If your Jesus didn’t like gays why did he hang around all those men for the last supper, I don’t see one woman in the group. Careful you aren’t struck my lightning.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:44am
  209. Way to go students!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:44am
  210. Fuck Westboro.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 1:48am
  211. Stop giving them attention, that’s what they want!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:02am
  212. Is there anyone else besides me who, upon seeing the name “Westboro Baptist Church,” though: “Oh, THEM again” ?

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:05am
  213. Waring with WBC only adds fuel to the fire and creates more issues than we need. We also don’t move forward in awareness when time is wasted hating the WBC.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:05am
  214. Do they ever fucking stop?!?!?!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:07am
  215. Ah free speech

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:13am
  216. They need to stop their idiotic protesting and picketing and go on that yellow brick road to that Hell Hole called Kansas

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:14am
  217. Can’t stand those utter disgraces for human beings at the WBC.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:17am
  218. These people feed of media coverage, it is there energy source. Stop giving it to them, let them fade into obscurity! Giving them coverage is equally as foul as they are.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:21am
  219. Westboro isn’t a church- it’s a hate cult and should have its tax exempt status stripped. These people make me sick!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:22am
  220. Why are we even giving these people press coverage anymore? Don’t you know you are only empowering them?

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:22am
  221. Ummm… as far as my religious teaching goes (and it was extensive!) God doesn’t hate ANYBODY! Hating ANYBODY for ANY REASON is the antithesis of Christian teaching.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:24am
  222. The word “fag” means a bundle and of twigs. Not a gay man.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:34am
  223. I wish those people would go away. They’re not a church. They are a cult. Send them to Russia.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:35am
  224. Kudos and many thanks to the students, faculty and friends at Mizzou for their courage and support in a big way.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:35am
  225. Let’s hear it for mizzou!

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:38am
  226. Good for the students. This group is poison.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:38am
  227. People are afraid of what they dont understand. Indifference scares them. I applaud those who have courage.

Posted on Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 2:40am