Police investigating attack on Oregon gay man as possible hate crime

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

OREGON CITY, Ore. — Police are investigating a possible hate crime attack on a gay man and his friend at the Bagby Hot Springs located in the Mount Hood National Forest, east of Portland.

Mik Holland

Mik Holland

Mik Holland says he and an out-of-town visitor met two strangers while soaking at the popular hot springs in the early morning hours of Dec. 2.

Holland told PQ Monthly that he and his friend engaged the men in conversation, but after the discussion turned to sexual orientation, the strangers – both described as having Eastern European accents — attacked Holland and his friend.

Holland says he beaten on the head with a heavy-duty industrial flashlight before the two strangers fled.

According to the Sheriff’s reports, Holland and his friend made their way down the trail from the hot springs where, after calling 911, the men were picked up by an ambulance and taken to a local hospital, where they were treated for their injuries and released.

Lt. Robert Wurpes, a spokesman for the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office, said deputies have recovered the flashlight and were processing it for fingerprints and DNA. “It’s a long shot, but we’re trying,” he said.

Wurpes said the assault is being investigated as a possible hate crime.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Oregon

1. Wtf is wrong with ppl damn.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:25am
  2. What were they doing come on come on?

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:26am
  3. Sorry dude I hope you’re fine by now.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:26am
  4. I´m so relieved they´ve survived !

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:29am
  5. Hope they find those insecure coward homo-phobic ass-holes!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:34am
  6. Poor guy. FCK H8!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:40am
  7. I’m glad you are o.k. It disgusting that there are hateful people like those that hurt you. They will have their day at some point in time ……… karma.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 4:44am
  8. Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:05am
  9. I would like to applaud the police for taking this seriously and not dismissing it like some places would. Also I am happy that the victims are bodily ok. I can not fathom the mental scarring this may haved caused

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:09am
  10. Reading stories like these makes me feel I want to get a concealed weapons permit.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:12am
  11. Get on with it politics. Make anti gay attacks and bigotry a federal and national crime already!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:35am
  12. As far as I know gay men who get attacked are most often attractive, this could be the unfortunate stereotype that less attractive men couldn’t be gay, or that the media only wants to talk about beautiful people getting attacked.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:36am
  13. As a hate crime? No shit? You mean they don’t think they loved him too hard?

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:46am
  14. This makes me furious. The poor man. Sending healing love!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 6:27am
  15. The world is getting really scary.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 6:33am
  16. Throw those bashers in jail with Bubba ..

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 7:57am
  17. people need to remember that it’s only the cities on the west coast that are tolerant. the further inland you go, you can’t throw a rock in any direction and not hit a douche. there are skinheads everywhere, white trash acting as hippies and phobic mexicans.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 8:50am
  18. I’m sry this happened to both of you. You are supported by me and my family to the fullest extent! Live your lives to the fullest, be happy, and confident in who you are! Prayers for you no matter your religion or beliefs if any. Your rights have been violated and it was just plain wrong! I am outraged! Xoxo the Glass family

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 9:04am
  19. This need to stop because you not happy with your life.I’m pray for you ,You Need Help people.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 9:31am
  20. My question is this: why would the topic of conversation turn to sexual orientation so quickly unless those other men were looking for a target to begin with? I’d bet money those guys have done this before, or will do it again.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:04am
  21. Gays organize protest and carry guns explosives its time to defend yourselves from bigots ! The state and religions are your enemy if not they will discriminate and murder you!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:20am
  22. just make crime a crime!!!!!seems simple enough right,not with religeon mixed with politics.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:22pm
  23. Hate crime!

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:43pm
  24. Possible hate crime?? It is a hate crime and I hope find the freaks who beat up the poor guy.

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:46pm