Obama signs bill lifting research ban on HIV organ transplants

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Evan Vucci, AP
President Barack Obama speaks in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013, after signing S. 330: the HIV Organ Policy Equity Act. From left are, Dr. Peter Stock, president-elect of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, Rep. Lois Capps, D-Calif., Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif. and Dr. Dan Salomon, president of the American Society of Transplantation.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has lifted a ban on research into the possibility of transplanting organs from one HIV-positive person to another.

Obama signed a bill into law Thursday that directs the federal health department to develop and institute standards for conducting such research.

It also permits the health secretary to allow such transplants if the research results warrant a change. The safety of the organ transplant process also must be protected.

Obama says the HOPE Act is an important step because it will help improve medical care for people living with HIV.

Advocacy groups note that, like other Americans, HIV-positive people are living longer. The groups also note that the number of people waiting for organs far exceeds the number of organs available for transplant.

© 2013, Associated Press, All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Connect with LGBTQ Nation.
The Nation's most followed LGBTQ news magazine.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: National Headlines, [ Editor's Picks ]

1. what about gay men donating blood? that seems a little important too

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:23pm
  2. I used to donate every 8 weeks until I found out about this ban...now I'm boycotting donating blood...I keep getting mail from Bloodsource asking me to come donate =P

Replied on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:29pm
  3. I got blacklisted cause i was dumb enough to answer it truthfully

Replied on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:30pm
  4. I agree. I've read several articles about other countries that have rescinded the ban. President Obama should sign a similar measure allowing LGBT men to possibly donate blood. This headline is over-simplified. He did not outright lift the ban, he left it up to the Health Secretary's discretion, expertise, and analysis of the situation. As it should be....

Replied on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:39pm
  5. Banned4Life Robbie

Replied on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 1:57am
  6. I don't see why gay men can't donate. I figured, if I was in that position, I'd probably still lie. It's a strange question I say 'no' to.

Replied on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 7:39am
  7. and besides, not all people who can donate do, so why tell people who want to donate that they can't simply because of their sexuality?

Replied on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:42pm
  8. Yes. The blood donation discrimination needs to be stopped.

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:25pm
  9. like this

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:26pm
  10. Fuuuuuuck obama lol

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:27pm
  11. I donate blood … im gay

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:29pm
  12. I don’t think this part matters honestly. We shouldn’t help people who don’t want us in The world anyways

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:37pm
  13. I’m positive, and i wonder, if I choose to be an organ donor, if my status will have to be on my I.D.

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:38pm
  14. Wtfff r u kidding me my little brother used to get blood trainsplants n i donated blood for him n im a very proud lesbian……ppl need to relize that ppl need blood and who cares if ppl are gay bi lesbian purple blue or black it shouldnt matter what you look like or who you are it should matter that someone wants to help save someones life and that is ALL that should matters!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:40pm
  15. They better have a way to treat single-organ-borne HIV real soon then!

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:49pm
  16. very good so I can get a liver if mine fails will tell Daniel that I can eat all the sweets since I have two kidneys so can live w/o one!!!

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:51pm
  17. Typical has a whole country against him so he redoes a fuck up here & a fuck up there & thinks people will be blinded again.

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:52pm
  18. just fyi I think this is awesome I just had a kidney transplant and my donor is gay and I cherish my donor.

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:57pm
  19. I’m gay I donate all the time. Gay men can’t. Which is stupid as long a everyone’s clean

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 11:58pm
  20. I don’t know about this…research ok, but I hope they don’t implement without conclusive proof the transmission can’t pass. I just don’t see how HIV would not be in organs. An HIV infected heart would to my mind be out of the question, but I guess we will see!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:10am
  21. Now lift the ban on gay people donating blood. They refuse to take my blood, but I am healthier than 98% of the people they do take blood from, I have no diseases, no drug use, no medical problems. AND they test every donation before using it.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:18am
  22. My deceased brother was an alcoholic, promiscuous, IV drug user, who regularly donated plasma for money.
    When he died… maybe they used his organs for donation? I don’t know. Don’t worry. He was straight. Evidently straight people are impervious to HIV/AIDS.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:43am
  23. I like this man, very much!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:49am
  24. sorry but I think this is wrong. would you transplant a pig’s heart into a human if it had trichinosis? Blood can be tested right before donation with a HIV test that takes 15-20 minutes. If negative anyone can donate. this should be standard practice for any donor of blood.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 12:50am
  25. And blood donations?

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 1:26am
  26. You guys are just worried about gay men, lesbians can’t donate either

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:19am
  27. Im a lesbian and i donate all of the time

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:27am
  28. Sweet now can you also fix, blood donations and get and executive order to pass ENDA!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:39am
  29. Alex, lesbians can donate all they want. Hell, heterosexual women who have has anal sex can donate! A gay man who has not had anal sex could probably donate, BUT, a gay man who has had anal sex cannot, and lastly a trans woman also not donate even if they only had vaginal sex… That gay male ban needs to go!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:42am
  30. and now the world may end with the plague of diseased organs thanks a lot bama

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 2:52am
  31. For those of you that have a negative comments about this, please note that This article is about the transplantation of organs from one HIV+ person/patient to another HIV+ person /patient. It would be unethical and illegal to transplant an organ that is HIV+ into a patient that is HIV-…

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 3:06am
  32. Plus it clearly states that there was a ban and he just signed a bill to have that ban lifted.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 4:39am
  33. then I resign my case if that’s so *Antwan Lacy* ^^ apologies

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 4:44am
  34. Thank you Mr. President Barack Obama!! You care about all peoples of the world. That’s why its hard. Keep the faith and God will take care of you. That’s why I’m proud to have you as my President. God bless you and the family. Sir I am a wovet, (woman veteran).

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 5:24am
  35. Didt know about this

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 8:54am
  36. He is still a socialist asshole.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 1:53pm
  37. blood donations next Mr. President?

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 1:55pm
  38. He’s an ASS!!!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 4:26pm
  39. This is fantastic. But just as important is lifting the ban on blood donations. Keep ‘em coming Mr. President!

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 6:25pm
  40. If hes signing something like tbis then he needs to look I to signing a bill to lifted for gay men and women(lesbians) to be able to apply for help from the government because their is more people doing drugs and getting help from the government. Why cant they have drug tests and take those people off.

Posted on Friday, November 22, 2013 at 10:51pm