Sports

UFC fighter Matt Mitrione apologizes, fined for transphobic remarks

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Mixed martial artist Matt Mitrione has issued an apology for his comments earlier this month when he called transgender fighter Fallon Fox a “disgusting freak” who lied about her gender to “beat up women.”

Matt MitrioneUFC.com

In addition to the public apology, the Ultimate Fighting Championship organization said Mitrione received a significant monetary penalty, and will be required to make amends by working with the LGBT community.

“I want to apologize for my hurtful comments about Fallon Fox and a group within our society, which, in truth, I know nothing about,” said Mitrione in a statement released by the UFC on Friday.

“I now know there’s an important line between expressing an opinion on a subject and being hurtful and insensitive. I crossed that line by expressing my views in an ugly, rude and inappropriate manner.”

In an April 8 interview on “The MMA Hour,” Mitrione called Fox “a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak” after she disclosed on March 5 that she was transgender and had undergone gender reassignment surgery in Bangkok, Thailand in 2006.

The UFC quickly denounced Mitrione’s remarks as “offensive and wholly unacceptable,” and suspended Mitrione for an indefinite period.

The suspension was dropped two weeks later and Mitrione was fined an undisclosed amount. Critics charged the two week suspension meant nothing in a sport where you fight every few months, reported SB Nation.

“Mr. Mitrione has expressed genuine contrition for the harm he caused,” said UFC Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Lawrence Epstein. “Matt is not a hateful person, and we are confident in his sincerity to make amends.”

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. glad he apologized… but still, that’s just wrong. I usually love MMA and UFC. :( ( lucky, i don’t know this man…)

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:09pm
  2. HE STILL SUX!!

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:10pm
  3. Just because you’re a big shot athlete, doesn’t make you imune to punishment for hateful remarks.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:12pm
  4. I am sure I will get a comment trail of hate for this but a transgender male 2 female fighter wouldn’t hat give her and unfair advantage? The comments he made where wrong I don’t agree with what he said but I also don’t agree with competitive advantages either

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:16pm
  5. o plz hes shit ill kick his ass hes a nobody

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:37pm
  6. The Olympic committee has okayed transgender athletes to compete as the gender they identify as. There’s no advantage that has been shown with that ruling. So I don’t see why other professional sports leagues can’t allow that either. Especially in sports like mixed martial arts where some of the women can easily take down some of the men. The hormones transgender people take brings them to the same performance level as cisgendered people of that sex.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:47pm
  7. I have no problem with it as long as their is no advantage… And like I said the comments he made are out of line and wrong

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 4:57pm
  8. Good.It is past time people paid the consequences for bigoted and exclusionary remarks and actions. I am sick to death of people feeling they can insult and trash the gay community with impunity, then whine that they are sorry and didn’t mean it and will be better from now on. Bullshit. You said it, you meant it and now you pay for it.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 9:53pm
  9. and it’s sad we now live in a country where the world stops as soon as someones little girl feelings get hurt..quit whineing and just beat his ass after all your fucking job is cage fighting!! really you don’t have things that bad

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 11:05pm
  10. As a public figure and an athlete what he says does matter so this man learned possibly that hate crime’n on people is not except-able NOW! It has took a long time for the USA to get to this point. I am glad some things have changed and people will not just turn their shoulder and let people get away with rude hateful comments like in the past.

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 12:02am
  11. No excuse or apology will ever be good enough from assholes like this!

Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 12:38am
  12. Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 8:31am
  13. Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 10:17am
  14. he is entitled to his opinion, he just made a mistake speaking his mind…it’s not his fault he was born with a mouth bigger than his dick

Posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 at 5:16am