Film

How would you live if you couldn’t love? (Video)

Friday, April 26, 2013

Imagine a world where “gay” was “straight” and “straight” was “gay.”

This 2011 short film from Wingspan Features and Director Kim Rocco Shields, and starring Lexi DiBenedetto, examines a world where it is taboo for a woman and a man to fall in love, and where “same sex marriage” was the only way in which society would permit you to love.

The winner of countless film festival awards, “Love is all you need?” is our weekend indie film pick.

Watch:

For more about the film, click here.

To recommend a future pick, contact us from the link at the top of the page.

Archives:

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. Saw this video… Made me cry!

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:13pm
  2. Imagine a world in which we don’t have to make videos role reversing a minority with a majority to make the majority care and elicit an emotional response. Why can’t we show REAL stories about REAL people who are REALLY suffering this instead of inventing imaginary stories that affect poor heterosexuals? >_<

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:17pm
  3. Watched this yesterday! So powerful! Even as a person who fully supports everything LGBTQ*, it really opened my eyes.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:18pm
  4. perhaps this old hippie has just been fighting fo what’s right for so long…but, no matter what the law states nobody can keep love from happening. It or other circumstances may make two lovers being together or demonstrating their love problematic…But, you cannot stop a heart from loving.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:24pm
  5. well, the unfortunate reality is that the stories in the film are real, they just happend the other way around. art imitates life.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:25pm
  6. I have seen this in a comedy but this hit home much better..A much watch for anyone..

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:46pm
  7. This is brilliant. Wow.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:57pm
  8. holy shit is this good

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:15pm
  9. Here’s the problem with generalizing… it doesn’t work. Straight people don’t like marriage. See? It is clearly false.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:38pm
  10. Because every straight couple in the world is married, right?

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:42pm
  11. Can you find a source that isn’t biased please? FRC is completely against same sex marriage, so why would they use information that SUPPORTS the cause of those they are fighting against?

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:44pm
  12. Ugh Alex I can’t handle the stupid..

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:48pm
  13. YES. The ars historica knows all.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:50pm
  14. Could this have not come with a warning?? Fuck.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 10:51pm
  15. What are you talking about ?! I cant love NOW, I will never have a boyfriend and I will die alone ! I live without any gay friends NOW, I go to work, work out alone at the gym, come home watch tv and go to bed every day, all I care only about is money, money isnt mean and doesnt lie to me and the only “so called”"gay friends” I have, are aquantences on facebook ! So yes, I dont and I cant ever love, EVER! Thankyou, Im so sure you will get a great answer from other people.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:23pm
  16. “The worst part is that all of this really happened. These were dramatized from real-life stories of LGBTQ kids.”

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:33pm
  17. I get what they’re trying to do, and I agree with it. But this video consernses me. Those of us who will see it don’t need to because we already know what this is like. Those who should see it won’t see it because they don’t care. And those who shouldn’t see it will see it and say this is proof of the gay agenda totally missing the point.

Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:44pm
  18. The most heartbreaking 20 minutes of my life. There are so many emotions that this film conjured within me, that tears are still falling down my face. Don’t look at this film as fiction. This happens to kids every day. So many unfortunate lives have been lost to the sickening onslaught of hate that kids and teens throw at each other.

And if I didn’t have the love and support of all my family and friends, you wouldn’t be reading this post. Instead, you’d be reading a gravestone that stated October 2nd, 1992 – June 14th, 2008. Bullying is real. Bullying is lethal. And bullying not only affects your victims, but their loved ones as well. I’m a survivor of bullying. Only by the skin of my teeth am I still breathing today. I remember the pain of a razor blade came nowhere in the vicinity as the pain of bullying. But if my friends and family were anything like the people depicted in this film, I wouldn’t be a survivor. I would be a memory.

Please spare 20 minutes out of your life and take in the painful truth that this film conveys. And next time you feel the urge to belittle others because they’re different from yourself, just remember that your words can end a life.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 12:32am
  19. So very powerful, and it just brings me back to a dark time when I was a kid. I didn’t have it bad or anything, but the fear and the pain I remember very well, I was so very close to ending it. I was very lucky to have an amazing mother who really got me out of the darkness, just with her love. I really want the future to be better the the kids in the future.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 12:43am
  20. Feeling the same you just said…Want to share the link on our page but wondering what message will be picked up. Huggs stranger, from a former Bully victim that survived and can say it will get better.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 6:45am
  21. That’s the point. “What if this were you?” is the question being posed here, by this video. It makes people give themselves a long, hard look in the mirror.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 6:58am
  22. Crying tears of pain, tears of shame, tears of reality. A reality that is changing but all to slowly! Huggs to all those suffering through Bullying(Been there). It will get better, please don’t listen to the evil doers, things will change in your favor!

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 7:04am
  23. I agree with what Randy Petersen said!

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 7:05am
  24. I have no words. Just tears.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 9:43am
  25. This made me cry. Dripping tears. The comment by Jesse above is frustrating to me. This film is great. Jesse, you are totally missing the point of it.

Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 3:51pm