Illinois

Ill. Gov. Pat Quinn hails passage of ‘historic’ marriage equality bill

Thursday, February 14, 2013

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Gov. Pat Quinn said Thursday that Illinois is “one step closer” to marriage equality.

Gov. Pat Quinn (D-Ill.)

The Illinois Senate on Thursday approved a measure that would legalize marriage equality for same-sex couples. The Democratic governor called it “historic legislation.”

Quinn applauded the Senate vote and said the bill lets “all committed couples” have the legal protections and benefits of marriage.

He urged the Illinois House of Representatives to pass the same legislation.

Rep. Greg Harris (D-Chicago), said he “the prospects are very good” that the measure will pass in the House, where he’s the bill sponsor.

Quinn has pledged to sign the measure if it reaches his desk.

Full coverage on the vote is here.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Illinois

1. come on IL, get it thru the house

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 1:59pm
  2. You can do it IL get thou the house

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:04pm
  3. Bring on the 10th State to legalize Same-sex Marriage! Just one more reason for the US Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage for all Americans.

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:05pm
  4. Sigh..sorry to rain,because while it’s exciting news, I’m sure that there are groups of people already forming to get signatures to “put it on a ballot so everyone can vote on it” and the poor couples in Illinois will have to keep their plans on hold because some judge will put a hold on weddings until then-as we’ve seen several times in recent years. If states are continued to give the right to decide one by one,its always going to be two part celebration…

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:13pm
  5. -squeals- please! Go through! That’s one of my neighboring states and if I didn’t have to go an arm and a leg away from home to marry my fiance I would be ecstatic!
    Come on Illinois! I promise I’ll stop calling you FIBs!

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:14pm
  6. @Kelly Reagan, the referendum process is extremely onerous in IL, add to that is that voter referendums in IL are advisory only — there’s virtually no chance of overturning a law by referendum in Illinois. Due to the fact that the Illinois initiative process is so limited and so difficult, many initiative scholars don’t even count it as an initiative state.

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:22pm
  7. Randy Peterson – Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me! That’s awesome news then!

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:29pm
  8. Thanks Gov Quinn Iam a retired state employee and take my hat off to You for this passage and signing !!!

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:53pm