Texas

Comic book store owner will not sell anti-gay writer’s Superman comic

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The owner of a Dallas comic store said Tuesday he will not carry the print edition of DC Comics’ “Anthology of Superman” in his store after learning that the comic book publisher had hired an anti-gay activist and board member of the National Organization for Marriage, to write for their new digital “Adventures of Superman” series.

Richard Neal

Richard Neal, owner of Zeus Comics, called it “shocking” that DC Comics had hired Orson Scott Card, author of the science fiction novel “Ender’s Game, who has publicly declared his disapproval of homosexuality and advocated against LGBT rights.

Card sits on the board of the National Organization of Marriage which fights against marriage equality. His essays advocate the destruction of my relationship, that I am born of rape or abuse and that I am equated with pedophilia. These themes appear in his fiction as well,” Neal, who is openly gay, wrote in a post on Facebook.

“It is shocking DC Comics would hire him to write Superman, a character whose ideals represent all of us.

“If you replaced the word ‘homosexuals’ in his essays with the words ‘women’ or ‘jews’ he would not be hired. But I’m not sure why its still okay to ‘have an opinion’ about gays? This is about equality.”

In 1990, Card called for laws that ban gay sex to “remain on the books… to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society’s regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society”.

A petition created on AllOut.org encourages Superman fans and LGBT advocates to “let DC Comics know they can’t support Orson Scott Card or his work to keep LGBT people as second-class citizens.”

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Texas

1. Good

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:13pm
  2. Good for him

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:13pm
  3. Oh jeesh—Orson Scott Card is an idiot! His books aren’t very well written anyway. Very proud of Richard Neal!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:15pm
  4. Matthew

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:17pm
  5. good for him!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:18pm
  6. Stand up for what you believe. I’m tired of hatred for no reason at all.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:18pm
  7. GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:20pm
  8. Good for him!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:20pm
  9. I know that the whole story sucks, but if we campaign that orientation should not be an issue in employment, and that it should be about ability to do the job, then dont we have to be “objective” and say that if the artist can do the job, he should be hired (regardless of his anti LGBT views) ?

Maybe next time the job shoulde include within the description, the need to produce LGBT friendly drawings.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:21pm
  10. You go, dude…well done

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:22pm
  11. I think anyone who loves and loves bein apart of the Comic.Con community would agree…We are a community of being different…we are always considered outsiders…Why would we would someone who is more or less a BULLY. It’s a slap in the face of those who are made fun of being different. Congrats to the owner of the comic shop!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:22pm
  12. As long as he keeps the antigay bullshit out of superman i find no reason for the boycott of a beloved childrens character… let that fool think what he thinks

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:24pm
  13. Hey! I wasn’t going to buy it anyway!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:25pm
  14. Aaron, by supporting DC comics, you are encouraging them to keep him on staff, or to get paid — his money then allows him time to write more anti-gay shit and put it towards other anti-gay organizations if he so chooses. Support Superman, but don’t support Card. Nobody needs to read comic books. It’s not like water or air.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:27pm
  15. He could also use the money to pay for his bills and to feed his family not to mention the fact that we are trying to get job equality in this nation and firing someone based on their beliefs or political associations is wrong its his money and if he chooses to send to an antigay organiztion thats his choice

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:34pm
  16. Denis, no, because the majority, or the privileged, in this case are the heterosexuals. When you’re privileged, your way is considered the norm and society is based on that norm. Sexual orientation (or gender identity) should not be a factor in hiring people for work, but one’s prejudice certainly is fair game for concern. If he wants to believe that Santa Claus is real, fine. I don’t mind buying his work if he believes in Santa Claus. But because what he believes not only hurts people, but encourages further prejudice and hurt, it’s wrong. As a lesbian, I’m not demanding that I get hired BECAUSE I’m a lesbian, I am demanding the right to be treated like anyone else. What I do doesn’t hurt anyone, and if it does hurt god and jesus, let me deal with that after I kick the bucket. It’s not for anyone else to decide. But Card’s getting paid for his work gives him more status, and allows him more ways of getting his prejudice across. Sure, anyone can believe what they want, but when it comes to practical matters, prejudice should not be tolerated. The groovy thing is, even if corporations don’t care (and I’m quite sure the majority of them don’t), we do, and as consumers we can metaphorically kick Card’s ass and maybe DC Comics’ for doing this. If Card were a neo-Nazi, I would feel the same way, and I think a lot more people would be outraged. And nobody, except maybe the ACLU, would be too upset to boycott DC Comics about that.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:34pm
  17. Orson Scott Card is a mediocre author anyway, and the fact that they brought him in to write on /Superman/ leads me to believe that Superman is so irrelevant now that they have to try jazz it up with the name of someone who /used/ to be famous.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:35pm
  18. Grow up all of you there is enough hate going on, but why have someone who does not have love in their heart

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:37pm
  19. “It’s okay to be against gays, you have that first amendment right!” Okay…Is it okay for me to form groups AGAINST Black? Jews? Women? No. That is a BAD person move! So unethical. I am boycotting DC as of this moment. Or mainly Superman. But, I will not fund this man’s pocket to keep NOM alive.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:43pm
  20. I loved ender’s game and especially the sequels. I was so disappointed when I learned of his hateful, ignorant views of us. I applaud this store owner. Superman is my favorite hero of all time, and I can’t believe that someone so hateful is writing for the franchise.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:56pm
  21. That is just so sad. I grew up reading DC Comics. All superheroes represents a worldview and high morals, everybody should try to achieve. Hope, love and forgiveness.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 6:02pm
  22. Good man!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 6:57pm
  23. Someone give that guy a Medal of Honor

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 7:09pm
  24. Go comic book store owner!! You deserve praise!
    How dare that type of ignorance and bigotry be allowed anywhere near Superman!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 7:55pm
  25. Alexis’ comment said it all. Amen

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 8:08pm
  26. way 2 support

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 8:10pm
  27. Kewl.

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 8:41pm
  28. Good for him! Stupid Orson Scott Card…

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 9:12pm
  29. Gee, can you imagine what you would say if he wrote anti-black or anti-asian crap. Think about it!

Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:16pm