Views & Voices

President Obama and a little victory dance for the LGBT community…

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We did this. You and I and millions of other Americans – Gay, straight, religious, atheists, black, white, Latino, men, women; all of us together – we did this.

We understood what was at stake, we went to the polls, and we made our stand for justice, equality and freedom for every American. I’m proud of every single one of us who simply refused to allow hatred, ignorance and discrimination to rule the day.

This Presidential election wasn’t just about electing a President. This election was also about letting politicians know that the times are indeed changing.

For good or for bad – there is a new United States of America coming into focus. This new America includes Latinos, the LGBTQ community, and young voters who appear to be a generation of kids who grew up not caring about color or gender and have little tolerance for any sort of discrimination.

I was insistent before the election that you could no longer claim to be my friend if you supported a candidate who was against gay marriage. I was adamant in my belief that equality has to be for everyone or absolutely no one has freedom. You cannot pick and choose who has what freedom based on some religious notion.

I am still insistent on these things…

What I see now is that I am not alone on my insistence for equality.

The Republican Party is in shambles. It is filled with hate-filled racists and homophobes who have seemed to have lost their way in this new America.

Except for the South (with the exception of Florida) and the mid-west, Democrats stood up and said – enough. People stood in line for hours to cast their vote for women, for LGBTQ candidates for gay-marriage and for fellow Democrats, which in turn meant they were casting their vote for freedom and equality.

For me – and these are my personal feelings – this election was a victory over the religious right and their zealots in this country who felt they had the right and the power to make every American dance to their Biblical tune.

This was a victory over the Billy Grahams, the Pope, the National Organization for Marriage, and the Family Research Councils, who have made it their life’s work to impose their beliefs and their discriminatory ways on to all people.

Finally – what they say doesn’t seem to hold all that much power anymore. Finally, the people have had enough of the religious ranting of a few and voted for the religious freedom of us all.

I know that we in the LGBT community still have work to be done, but I also know that this election has made the path we walk light up a little bit brighter for us to see our way through to full equality.

We are no longer alone on this journey, we are no longer the “lesbians in the corner” and the “queers in the closet.” We are American citizens living in a new America – A brighter, more hopeful, more tolerant, more inclusive America.

As members of the LGBTQ community we must be proud that we stood our ground, we must be proud of speaking our truth, and we must be proud of what we have accomplished together in this presidential election.

Never settle for anything less than what you deserve – and what you deserve is what every American deserves – total equality which equals your freedom guaranteed to you by the Bill of Rights.

Now – go dance…

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. I’m doing a gay ass victory dance and I am not American!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:15pm
  2. HORRAY!!!!

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:17pm
  3. A very little dance. Obama plans to leave gay marriage up to state referendum. Hell will freeze over before that happens in the South. Thanks alot. Gay marriage and ENDA need to be federal law and we’ve got NOTHING until it is.

Posted on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:27pm
  4. I am sorry but I feel you are misguided. If any of you think that Obama gives a crap about us as a gay community you are so mistaken. I am very proud to be gay but not proud that my community is blinded by hate for republicans that they elected Obama again.

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 10:04am
  5. Not American but sooooo happy for you’s!!! I saw what he has already done for the Queer community and I saw what the others did not do or offer for my Queer brothers and sisters in the community! So…I’m dancing with you all these days, life is good, there is hope :)

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 10:53am
  6. :)

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 11:22am
  7. Thomas Arnone, not a single Republican candidate this election would have been good for the nation in general nor the LGBTQs in particular. If you had paid attention to any of them, you’d have known that, as EVERY ONE of them said that they were against LGBTQ equality in anything. Maybe Obama doesn’t care for us, but look at what he’s done for us so far. Perhaps you should stop watching Faux Noose and look at some REAL news for a change.

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:03pm
  8. I agree Luke. Furthermore, had he looked at the republican candidates, not only would he see that they wanted to take us back to the old way that got is into almost the second Great Depression but wanted to give the country back to major corporations that would rape the land and people for oil, coal, and gas. Walk away with the profits and leave behind poisoned water, black lung disease, and wasteland that used to be National Parks. If that doesn’t kill us, lazy nieve voters will!

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:37pm
  9. The Salvation Army has long heralded itself as the last bastion for the poor, the down trodden, the addicted and the lost, but a growing tide of opposition to their anti LGBT policies has been gaining force in the last five years.

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:47pm
  10. This Veteran’s Day I’m asking you to do something very important for vets.

As you well know, gay soldiers may now serve openly; but they are still unable to provide for their same-gender partners and the children of their partners in the same way that heterosexual soldiers can.

I would like to change that. Please help me do our part to show our appreciation for these brave soldiers.

Sign and promote the petition below.

Republicans who support same-gender marriage, please also let your lawmakers and political party leaders know, and tell them you expect them to represent you. Your vocal involvement is crucial.

Federal recognition will allow same-gender spouses and partners of soldiers to take advantage of services as simple as using the post shopping facilities, and as crucial as receiving health and survivor benefits.

PS…don’t forget to use the buttons below the petition to promote it on your facebook and twitter pages.

Thanks, and a huge THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VETERANS OF EVERY STRIPE.

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 3:17pm
  11. Well Luke if you knew anything you would know that Mitt did everything in his power as govenor of Mass to get gay marriage passed. But I guess that is just not enough for some people.

Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 4:37pm
  12. Woohoo! Here’s to being bi!

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2012 at 2:11am
  13. Also, Check out my radio station… This is the link to the BIG GAY USA podcast.

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2012 at 6:32pm