Celebrities

Gay actor Rupert Everett: Nothing worse ‘than being brought up by two gay dads’

Sunday, September 16, 2012

In a new interview, openly gay British actor Rupert Everett stunned the LGBT community by telling London’s Sunday Times that he “can’t think of anything worse” for children than being raised by two gay fathers.

Everett was commenting that his 77-year-old mother, who knew he was gay by the time he turned 18, still wished that he was straight, and that she would “like him to have a pretty wife” and children.

Rupert Everett

“He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father,” said Sara Everett. “But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy.”

Rupert, 53, agreed:

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he said. “I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads.

“Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion.

“I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community’.

This is not the first time Everett, once considered a trailblazer for LGBT actors after he came out as gay 20 years ago, has caught the ire of the LGBT community.

In a 2009 interview, Everett told the London Observer that he wished he hadn’t come out because it had hurt his career.

“I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out … The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business,” he said at the time.

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of the gay rights group Stonewall, told the Daily Mail, “Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself. There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop.”

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. He really is a moron! What a stupid thing to say.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:29pm
  2. i disagree with rupert

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:30pm
  3. (Speechless)

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:31pm
  4. Wow. All I can say is…wow…

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:31pm
  5. Everett can go f*ck himself. Such an embarrassment

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:32pm
  6. Wow >.> he’s ignorant against his own people Dx wtf?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:32pm
  7. He says coming out of the closet hurt his career? What about the “community” that loves him? Hurting their feelings will only hurt his career again.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:32pm
  8. I don’t understand how people are liking this? I was raised by two heterosexual people, taken from them and then given to many other heterosexual couples, and they all sucked even worse then the last. Yet when I was embraced by a lot of gays as a child, it was nothing but love.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:33pm
  9. I feel like it would be worse to be an orphan…

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:33pm
  10. wow… with “friends” like that, who needs enemies??

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:34pm
  11. Having been brought up in a heteronormative home where there were significant mental illness issues and having been sexually molested (not by a family member but a family friend) I can tell you he’s dead fucking wrong.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:34pm
  12. He’s a self loathing idiot. Yo Rupert being gay didn’t hurt your career… your fucked up Plastic surgeon who did that hatchet job on your face hurt your career.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:34pm
  13. Most people think their upbringing sucks until they learn what someone else went through

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:34pm
  14. “The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more.” I think this is true. Its can become worse when people are pro-life too.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:34pm
  15. Such an anti-gay gay man!!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  16. I’m sure any child would rather have 2 Loving Dads than be fuckin Homeless or an Orphan! >>>

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  17. >.>

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  18. Although I don’t agree with Everett, but I know alot of Gay men who believe that a child should be raised by a mother and a father. It’s the way they were brought, it’s how they were taught and even if they are in a committed relationship they just can’t shake their own morals that say having a child just would be wrong for them.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  19. who?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  20. what an idiot and the wrong kind of publicity we need in a time when we are fighting for our rights….My son has two days and he is a very normal happy child

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  21. As a straight woman..I have to disagree with Rupert. Why should it matter what the gender of either parent is when raising a child? A child will be brought up in a loving home regardless if the parents are two men, two women, or a straight couple.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:35pm
  22. I think the fact he is a horrible actor hurt his career, not the fact he came out.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:36pm
  23. I don’t get it… his own mother is apparently a cunt, yet he agrees with her? what.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:36pm
  24. Whatever. This douche just realizes how barely anyone knows or even remembers him and is trying to get some publicity. Lame move, ASSHOLE!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:36pm
  25. Nothings worse than a self-righteous holier-than-thou hypocritical homophobic bigoted asshole!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:36pm
  26. Who’s Rupert Everett???

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:37pm
  27. I mean of course you can compare how you were raised as you had two childhoods, right? No. Then stop trying to get press by being a bitch. Theres nothing worse than being unloved, and hurting the chances of adoptive gay parents and the orphaned children who want to go home with them is a true testament of character. Some gay dad out there is reconsidering leaving him in front of a church…you know, one that would reject. See what I did there, bro?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:37pm
  28. Being gay hasn’t hurt his career his acting did. Your a joke to me Rupert!!!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:38pm
  29. Asshole

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:38pm
  30. Rupert is blaming his failed career on coming out of the closet. He is pissed and has resentments. So instead of moving on, and or dealing with it. He’s blaming anyone and everyone that he can. Sad

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:38pm
  31. british actor

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:40pm
  32. shame on him 4 saying that!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:40pm
  33. He is such an A ho he does not have a fricken clue to what he is talking about LGBT parents raising children. Coming out hurt his carrier. Oh BullHocky. He such a closet case.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:41pm
  34. Why did you even post this link?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:41pm
  35. F*** you Rupert!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:42pm
  36. He is a traitor and a self loathing piece of sh!t

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:43pm
  37. Enjoy the end of your career

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:44pm
  38. Brainwashed still? Sure its his opinion and he’s entitled to it, but why would anyone so obviously embrace self-loathing?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:45pm
  39. I truly hope his career goes down the toilet >.>

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:45pm
  40. Also, I have 2 agree w/ sme of the prev. comments. Coming out did not hurt his career; his horrible acting did.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:46pm
  41. I’m sure Ricky Martin, Elton John, Neil Patrick Harris and their men would LOVE to have a few words with him!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:47pm
  42. Welp, Rupert Everret says it’s awful, so that must mean it’s true.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:47pm
  43. I have a feeling that the thousands of children of two gay dads would disagree with Rupert – & they have a better perspective than he does. I also could envision thousand of children in abusive situations that would love to be in a home with two loving gay dads.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:49pm
  44. There are people with moronic opinions in all walks of life. He’s entitled to his, too bad he can’t see past his own idiocy to realize the impact of his words. If we had equal status and protection under the law he could scream it from the mountain tops and I wouldn’t care but we don’t so…

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:49pm
  45. He’s a douche

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:49pm
  46. Is he the guy who voiced the prince in Shrek?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:49pm
  47. me an my wife did a great job our son fights for this contry so fu…….

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:50pm
  48. What an ass!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:51pm
  49. why so stupid?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:51pm
  50. REALLY?? Worse than being raised by an abusive mom and a pedophile stepfather? Or addictive and pysically/emotionally abusive hetro parents? Or a violent parent who kills their own (or their partner’s) offspring??? Two dads are worse than all of these?? You need some serious mental help, Rupert! Perhaps some work with children afflicted by these horrible upbringings is in order to gain insight…..I would have LOVED TO HAVE 2 gay dads, as I would have then had two people actively involved in my life, instead of the zero I grew up with!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:52pm
  51. I was brought up by a mum and dad..who taught me the same bigoted crap, but i grew up and can think with my own brain and also im in a same sex loving relationship with 3 wonderful children..Rupert is an idiot and has lost a long time fan(i grew up with a crush on him)..He has lost himself a fan due to his bigoted narrow minded opinion….any loving parent(s) is better then none!!!!!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:52pm
  52. He’s so gross. Gag !

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:52pm
  53. What a conundrum? Should I listen to a ‘b’ list actor or the best and brightest minds in the scientific community and their peer-reviewed studies saying it does not matter the sex of the family unit……I’ll go with the science!! We can all see where making sh!t up as we go along got us!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:53pm
  54. Asshole!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:54pm
  55. I think everyone needs to calm down okay. People are allowed their opinions, as much as you may disagree with them.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:54pm
  56. Well he is an expert on everything – so this really, ah, matters a lot….

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:57pm
  57. pathetic…To each his own.. The comments are funny.. Listen gay people: Not everyone is going to agree with you, and not everyone has too.. Quit being petty, not everyone is going to think the way you do.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:05pm
  58. I agree…no kids should be raised by his bitchy queen types! My family is good and our daughter is amazing. This as been tard can kiss off.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:07pm
  59. I think he obviously still hasn’t quite come to terms with being gay himself. He still thinks of it as a “negative” and not a positive and maybe even would choose to be straight if he could, and that is why he’s saying these things. Even being gay, it doesn’t mean you get it. You have to accept yourself as gay, and then you’ll get it.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:09pm
  60. Obama 2012! All BLUE 2012!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:09pm
  61. He has the right to his opinion…and i have the right to my opinion….He is a narrow minded bigot and stupid asshole!!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:10pm
  62. Who is this guy?

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:11pm
  63. Out of work washed up actor says something stupid to get his name in the news. I don’t want children, but i def. don’t think it matters the gender of the parents who raise the child.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:11pm
  64. very, very odd.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:12pm
  65. I have little respect for him. I like him in movies and then saw him on a talk show and through he acted like a jerk.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:12pm
  66. Horror stories come from all walks of life maybe he had a bad experience. But I do know one thing. Its never been in the news that 2 gays male or female killed their kid. Maybe he had 2 gay dads and hated glitter

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:14pm
  67. This is the same guy that said coming out fucked up his career. Look how well he turned out with heterosexual parents raising him. He can go fuck himself.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:20pm
  68. How could he know? He wasn’t in that rearing situation.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:21pm
  69. To use a proper British insult- “What a dolt!”

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:21pm
  70. Being a Z list actor has nothing to do with your parenting.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:22pm
  71. Who cares what he thinks…

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:22pm
  72. How about he takes a look at the studies that suggest gay parents are less abusive, and therefore raise happier children instead of opening his fucking mouth? It isn’t because gays are better people; it’s because gay parents have to PLAN, and every child is intended.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:28pm
  73. A coward. Fuck him.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:30pm
  74. His perspective is skewed by the fact that he never met my parents.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:32pm
  75. he’s pathetic… and he always look sad/miserable when i saw him out.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:37pm
  76. Dislike.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:37pm
  77. total scum bucket . he speaks for no one but himself/ to bad his mom contributed to his internalized homophobia

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:43pm
  78. he must be a closet log cabin republican.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:45pm
  79. I think he says what he thinks will get his name in print, and apparently it worked! To bad he is willing to sell out his own people in the process.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:55pm
  80. i really wish some people would just keep there daddy issues to themselves.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:58pm
  81. Why do you care what he had to say? No one cares what he says anymore than what you or I say. Get a life, and quit making much a do about nothing.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:00pm
  82. Highly subjective…..

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:01pm
  83. -______- *sigh* Damn shame…

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:04pm
  84. one mongrel dog dont speak for all of us hey

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:08pm
  85. Here’s something worse, growing up with Rupert Everett as your dad.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:13pm
  86. @Ethan Matthews, I am british, please explain what the fuck a “dolt” is.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:17pm
  87. He certainly doesn’t seem secure in himself. Maybe if his mother would stop “wishing he had a beautiful wife and kids” he would accept himself more. Elen’s wife wrote something similar in her book, talking about how she really only felt better about who she was when her mom accepted her completely.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:28pm
  88. He’s just bitter….he’s just not that talented.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:34pm
  89. And this is the reason no one’s takes the LGBT community seriously…asshole

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 7:53pm
  90. Just gay does not make a good dad just as heterosexuals don’t, it’s love and the person. I know many that have 2 dads or 2 moms that are very happy and no regrets

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 8:00pm
  91. http://www.wattpad.com/story/1489361-me-and-you-against-the-world read my story about a girlxgirl love story!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 8:01pm
  92. what a prick! doesn’t he know there is nothing worse than having no parents!

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 8:31pm
  93. Complete douche. He doesn’t mean anything to anyone. It’s a ploy for attention and press. People stopped paying attention to him and now he needs to make a controversial statement to step back into the spot light. Just like Kirk Cameron and walker dochebag ranger.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 8:57pm
  94. one self hating homosexual will provide ammunition for argument to ten homophobic demagogues.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 9:03pm
  95. Mostly other self hating homophobes.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 10:09pm
  96. I can think of something worse: no parents at all.

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 11:25pm
  97. What a disfuncional idiot, so he has mommy issues, that doesn’t mean that two Gay men can’t be wonderful and loving parents!!?

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 4:24am
  98. I sense bitterness

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 5:33am
  99. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 6:08am
  100. Just not a very good actor.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 6:18am
  101. All that courts is the love u give them, 2 dad’s are great or 2 mom’s.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 7:03am
  102. Who Cares?? That’s why his career is Over!! He is a has been.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 7:35am
  103. Fortunately his opinion means nothing. Speaking as a gay dad my son is happy, loved and thriving.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 7:59am
  104. Why do people just say things. He gives no reason for believing that. Well at least he knows that people think he’s an idiot!

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 8:36am
  105. Everybody’s home life is different. Sorry yours was not what you wanted, but it is probably not because you had two dads. Some mother and father parents are not parent material either.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 9:28am
  106. shame on u shame!!!!!!!!

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 10:15am
  107. WFT

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 2:44pm
  108. you lmow at i mean so mad WTF

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 2:44pm
  109. Asshat!

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 3:08pm
  110. Thankfully Rupert doesn’t have children otherwise he’d see how wonderful having 2 loving parents actually are regardless of gender!

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 4:11pm
  111. The man is angry because he has a lousy career that went down the toilet after coming out.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 5:57pm
  112. People have a right to their opinion. They also have a right to be stupid. And yes, in America, as shown so eloquently by our politicians, they have a right to voice their stupid opinions. As we have a right not to listen, or not get angry over the foolish sentiments of headline grabbing fools.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 11:23pm
  113. Or those pesky politicians.

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 11:23pm