Top Romney surrogate compares LGBT people to drug users, polygamists

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

TAMPA, Fla. — Kansas Secretary of State and Mitt Romney surrogate Kris Kobach compared LGBT people to drug users and polygamists while debating the GOP platform’s marriage equality language in Tampa on Tuesday.

Kris Kobach

While arguing against an amendment that would have ended the party’s support for the Defense of Marriage Act, the federal law that defines marriage as between one man and one woman, Kobach said:

“Our government routinely judges situations where you might regard people completely affecting themselves … like for example the use of controlled substances, like for example polygamy, that is voluntarily entered into. We condemn those activities even though they are not hurting other people, at least directly.”

Kobach’s comments drew immediate criticism from the Human Rights Campaign.

“Kris Kobach’s remarks are offensive and just the latest sign that the GOP platform is being influenced by people who certainly do not speak for the majority of Republicans,” said Fred Sainz, HRC Vice President of Communications.

“It’s time for leaders within the GOP to take some responsibility and realize that their outdated platform – and the incendiary and vitriolic language used by some of their colleagues like Kris Kobach – sends a dangerous message and has a very real impact on the LGBT community, particularly youth,” said Sainz.

Kobach, who is perhaps best known for using fear tactics to spread his anti-immigration agenda, employs similar tactics when it comes to matters of LGBT equality.

In 2004 he claimed that HRC and other LGBT organizations supported “homosexual pedophilia.”

Despite these remarks, Mitt Romney was quick to embrace Kobach’s endorsement earlier this year – saying he was “so proud to earn Kris’s support” and was pleased to “stand with this true conservative.”

Kobach’s remarks come just one day after the GOP’s draft platform revealed that the Republican Party was continuing to ignore the mainstream values embraced by a majority of Americans and an increasing number of conservatives by doubling-down on its refusal to embrace marriage equality.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. Somebody Please Shoot That Hateful Son-Of-A-Bitch…!!!.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:02pm
  2. We need some one open minded to run this country. To be supportive of us an evey one

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:05pm
  3. well, a Mittens surrogate would know all about polygamy

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:05pm
  4. I believe he’s on drugs. This kind of hate is not acceptible!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:05pm
  5. Mormons are polygamists – aka Mitt Romney.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:06pm
  6. I’m with Lyssa! He is definitely on drugs!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:07pm
  7. All I can say is … Polygamist? Isn’t that the classic – “Ain’t that coloring the kettle black?” Helloo – sorry to be so brash – my own comment btw … hehe

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:08pm
  8. WTF?? as a mormon he should know what polygamy is like

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:09pm
  9. And don’t let them fool you. The Mormons might have secularly outlawed polygamy for Utah to become a state but they still believe in a polygamous heaven.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:09pm
  10. Irony at its finest, folks.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:10pm
  11. it is only because he has nothing logical, or factual to say. Anyone who sits there and blindly compares people with nothing in common of each other- proves their ignorance. I don’t get mad at this, because I am laughing too hard, because these are the people that are supposed to be representing a man that is supposedly going to bring America back… LOL. OK. Good luck with that!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:12pm
  12. Oh boy why are LGBTQ communities always viewed as something out of the ordinary.. honestly we are here and have always been here and no different than your mother, father, brother, sister, cousin, uncle, aunt, neighbor, teacher, friend!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:17pm
  13. Disgusting person.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:19pm
  14. Absolutely absurd.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:24pm
  15. What’s wrong with polygamists? No, honestly.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:25pm
  16. Fuck that puto!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:26pm
  17. Small minds, small people. That covers it for me.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:28pm
  18. Geez-the more they talk, the stupider they sound. I didn’t think it was possible, but this last week has blown the lid off. Teh Dumbz has got outz n dey can’t shuddup!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:31pm
  19. Can we please not bring down ethically non-monogamous people in an effort to bash Romney? I’ve never stuck a dog to the roof of my car and drove for 7 hours. I’ve just loved more than one person at a time. I haven’t promised to get rid of healthcare reform, in fact I want healthcare for however many people I’m married to of any gender. If Romney were a polygamist that’d be the least nasty thing about him because at least it’d give a few more people enough money to live on and so far he doesn’t seem to be a fan of that.

Conservatives spent millions of dollars to turn LGBTQ people against people of color already, there’s no need to turn against Poly people all on your own.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:31pm
  20. what a complete moron!!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:33pm
  21. Funny considering the bible allows polygamy, by that logic, aren’t bible bangers disrespecting the bible?

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:34pm
  22. I’m so tired of these sick bastards, they all need to shut the fuck up with their insane beliefs. Enough already.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:35pm
  23. Bahahahahahaha it’s hilarious because Romney IS a polygamist! What a bunch of hypocrites lol

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:35pm
  24. Idiots come out to play.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:40pm
  25. These jerk off’s are definitely SICK!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:43pm
  26. There is nothing wrong with being poly

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 8:51pm
  27. How does love and marriage affect him, even indirectly. Oh yeah, he’s a hater, so he would be hating. I can only hope his children are affected by love and lasting commitments.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 9:06pm
  28. polysexual and monogamy exists in all sexualities…..

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 9:18pm
  29. No diss Veronica but Polysexual is a sexuality. It means attracted to more then two genders but not all. Perhaps you used the wrong word?

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:12pm
  30. Why are people even paying any mind to the bigest jokes ever in the gop! Oh shoot I forgot the whole gop in the last few years has been the bigest joke ever. The even more sad thing about the gop and romney is they are not even worth a vote or even laughing at. With that whole party of gop fools

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:13pm
  31. Idk but nvertheles I cant read the artical to coment on from this device. Just didnt look right from this angle. I’ll learn more w/I’m at my Laptop

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:14pm
  32. I’ll compare Romney’s top to a diseased anus. :-{P}

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:16pm
  33. I wish we had a woodstock kinda thing. I dont mean the wild crazy party but a huge gathering of all LGBTQ people unlike any we have ever seen. I would find a way to get there! We could all just gather in peace joined by a commin need to be equal, a place we can finaly feel free. I just wouldn’t want it to end. I soo wish we could do it.

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:28pm
  34. And of course an aid to a mormon would know alllllllll about polygamy

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 10:52pm
  35. Sigh… you can only marry in 6 states… fucking a horse is possible in 23… really? >< I'd rather be gay than a horse screwer -_- That, and I'm a greedy day ;3 I only want ONE "partner", and I'm pretty sure that those of us with heart disease can't do drugs :3

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 11:00pm
  36. Just watch how quickly this “drug using polygamist” continues to pay taxes if the Republicans win. The arrogance of assholes like this that he can blindly, blatantly categorize, pidgeon hole and stereotype me and all LGBT people and, yet, somehow, STILL expect us to support that government. To call him and his ilk “hypocrites” doesn’t even begin to cover it!

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 11:04pm
  37. all i can say is IGNORANT!!! wow, help us all if he is ellected…

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 11:38pm
  38. He’s hiding someone…like his gay lover. Too much protesting.

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 6:54am
  39. You are a bigot. Where did you get your information to compare LGBT people to drug users and polygamists. You are really reaching to use this comparison. Drug users and polygamists have nothing in common with LGBT. I would be ashamed to live in Kansas and know that you represent my state. Why don’t you shut your mouth until you know what you are talking about. Stupid mouth.

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 7:33am
  40. I’m sick of polyamory/polygamy being used as a dirty word. Obviously when it’s a forced religious thing there are abuses and atrocities, but plenty of people just happen to feel that they can love more than one person. There’s nothing wrong with that when everyone involved is a consenting adult (who hasn’t been brainwashed their whole life to believe they have to do this to go to heaven or something).

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 8:19am
  41. Ah my home state. So glad I moved out of there, but I feel for my friends who are still there. It was always shitty, but it seems to be sliding ever faster into the filth.

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 8:23am
  42. Well, I feel insulted. What a bigot!

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 10:44am
  43. Is Romney actually a Kamikaze! He’s certainly going down in flames and just as certain to explode.

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 12:51pm