Views & Voices

If you’re gay – A vote for Romney/Ryan is a vote against yourself

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I do not understand the concept of being a gay Republican. I don’t know how one goes from saying: I’m gay and then adding: And I’m a Republican. I don’t know how one does this…

I’ve asked how it’s done and the answers I usually get are vague or angry or completely nonsensical. I’ve heard everything from; it’s the Republicans who back the military to Republicans want smaller government to Republicans would be more fiscally responsible. Then there’s the whole tax thing, and a whole bunch of other garbled jibber jabber.

Okay… but Republicans also want you to go back in the closet, not get married, not be able to legally adopt, serve in the military openly. They don’t respect you on any level.

I ask the questions because I honestly do not understand. I was told to just separate myself from the whole being gay thing, and just concentrate on the whole government thing.

See, I don’t know how you get past the being gay part. Being gay is who I am; it’s not a choice or a lifestyle, it’s who I am every day of my life. I don’t wake up in the morning and say, “Well I think I’ll be a Lesbian today.” It’s just who I am.

Every law, every ruling that goes against gays and lesbians goes against me and my life. I don’t know how to separate one from the other, and I’m not convinced that separating yourself from who you are at any time is a good thing.

I understand gay republicans believe the only way to change the Republican Party is to work among them and make them understand inclusion – I get that, and I understand that they have done good things – still, trying to make change and voting for people you know are never going to change, and people who will spend any amount of money to keep me in what they believe is “my place;” this I will never understand.

I have a Republican lesbian friend who goes to her Catholic church every week. She doesn’t leave feeling full of faith and loved by her creator. She leaves knowing her church will never accept her for who she is and every week she asks forgiveness. She asks forgiveness for who she is.

Every week she allows this church to take a little piece of her soul and make her feel a little more unworthy. When I asked her why she continues to go there she says, “It’s my church.”

When I remind her of how the Catholic Church and the Republican Party don’t really validate her existence she says well, maybe they know something I don’t. It just blows me away that she cares so little about herself. Every life deserves validation – no exceptions.

This Romney/Ryan ticket is not gay friendly, on any level. Thinking that voting for them would be a good thing because you could get inside of the party and change hearts and minds is just foolish.

If you’re a gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or transgendered citizen and you push, click or fill in the circle for the Republican ticket you will have voted against your own best interest. You will have voted for people who don’t like you, don’t respect you, and would be happier if you just didn’t exist.

Paul Ryan is a scheduled speaker at the Family Research Council’s Values Voters Summit in September. In case you didn’t know, The Family Research Council believes the following about homosexuality:

“Family Research Council believes that homosexual conduct is harmful to the persons who engage in it and to society at large, and can never be affirmed. It is by definition unnatural, and as such is associated with negative physical and psychological health effects.

“Sympathy must be extended to those who struggle with unwanted same-sex attractions, and every effort should be made to assist such persons to overcome those attractions, as many already have.”

If you are a member of the gay community and you believe you can change the heart and soul of Paul Ryan – you’re dreaming.

So, if you still want to support these folks, please don’t preach to me about smaller government and fiscal responsibility, especially when your party is pandering to the rich and smacking the middle class, and know this; if they get elected, they will throw your gay life under the big election bus the moment President Romney says, “So help me God.”

Right now – I’d like us all to be on the same playing field, and the gay community has finally gotten ourselves into the Ballpark.

I don’t want to be in the Ballpark only to be shoved back in the locker and not be allowed to dress for the game.

Opinions and advice expressed in our Views & Voices columns represent the author's own views and not necessarily those of LGBTQ Nation. We welcome opposing views and diverse perspectives. To submit a article, column or video, contact us here. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot guarantee publication.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Views & Voices

1. rommey isn’t going to win thank godness, but a vote for tyranny is for who? #obamaisafascist

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:28pm
  2. romney needs to be sent to an island with all the other republicans and then have that island blown up!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:29pm
  3. A gay Republican makes as much sense as a porcupine working in a balloon factory.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:29pm
  4. Obama 2012 – any Gay person who would vote GOP is a self-loathing lunatic.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:30pm
  5. howis that tyranny… lol. yeah you want to vote for a person that takes rights away from 10% of the population, takes womens rights to control their own body away.. and make the US a theocratic state – a chrhistian version of iran? wow, you are confused

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:30pm
  6. A vote for Willard is a vote against hard working America. Willard is a job creator for the communist republic of china!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:30pm
  7. didn’t we all ready know this?? o_O

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:31pm
  8. A gay person voting for Romney is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:32pm
  9. yes but keep the message alive!!!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:33pm
  10. Completelty agree ! Don’t vote away your rights with Ryan Romney . And William …. Wow . Obama is certainly not a fascist .

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:33pm
  11. worse it is a vote AGAINST you and ALL your supporters

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:34pm
  12. and your family and children and future generations. the GOP/TP will prolong the hatred of you and otherslike you HEAR THAT BEN ???

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:35pm
  13. Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:35pm
  14. i think obama with gay ppl coz he want vots

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:36pm
  15. funny how when it is conservative hate mongers getting killed – it is a hate crime…. when a gay person is violently attacked or killed it is your gods justice…

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:37pm
  16. whenver anyone is killed, it should be a tragedy.. should not matter who they are or what they believe in. By any definition, murder is wrong

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:38pm
  17. Duh

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:38pm
  18. correct. I ju st hope obama will keep up w his promis

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:40pm
  19. “Whats up with the hate crime commited against innocent people in DC today?”

The idea that the FRC is ‘innocent’ is questionable – but it is also irrelevant. The crime committed today was atrocious, and if it truly occurred the way that it is proposed to have occurred, then there is no excuse for it and the man should be punished to the full extent of the law. There is also no excuse for the politicization of such a tragedy, and doing so is also hateful and damaging.

As for the original post, I will not vote for Romney/Ryan, nor will I vote for Obama/Biden. As much as I know Romney/Ryan will not be good for the LGBT community, I also see too much evidence of promises from Obama that evaporate after the election is over and done, or are diluted to the point of questioning whether it was really due to him at all, or was simply the inexorable tide of equality that rendered the change possible.

Right now I’m planning to vote for Dr. Stein of the Green Party.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:42pm
  20. How many Teabaggers stood up and cried hate when Matthew Shephard was tied to a fence and murdered? Murder is wrong regardless of the circumstances. Stop using the senseless tragedy in DC as a excuse for horrific behavior. Shame on you!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:50pm
  21. Conservative Independent you would have to ask the person who committed the crime that question.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 7:56pm
  22. Good thing I plan to vote for the President because I would never vote against my fellow glbt ever!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:09pm
  23. Is there some 1 in our community that would need this reminder? Suppose it couldn’t hurt tho…. 1 vote 4 OBAMA here! !!!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:19pm
  24. …or a woman, or an elderly person, or part of the middle- or lower-class, or….

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:27pm
  25. And Hitler would be proud to call them a friend!

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:41pm
  26. uh yeah.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:47pm
  27. And the rest of this nation.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:55pm
  28. I don’t think there is any thing wrong with be gay and being a republican. Its not all about “gays being able to get married” I care more about the economy and I don’t want a socialist president, but that’s doesn’t mean I’m voting from Romney he is not a true republican.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 9:16pm
  29. Ditto if you’re human (and not a bizzilionaire)…

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 9:53pm
  30. no, but there is an issue with being lgbtq and being conservative; the concepts are mutually exclusive by today’s standards. republicans have some good ideas, sadly, those that have them are being silenced by a more rabid majority.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 9:59pm
  31. Neither party is in my choices. Obama has done nothing for this country except sink us deeper into a hole. If you think he really supports LGBTQ, you had better think a little deeper. It’s all just another political ploy to gather votes. As a gay American, I’m just fed up with the whole political system. No one in politics gives a shit about anything but their own agenda and what they will personally get out of it. Listen to these words, no one in politics really cares, it’s all smoke and mirrors

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 10:10pm
  32. duh.

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 10:47pm
  33. the RNC called me last night wanting money i told them sine you guys don’t care about GAY republican issues and I’m a gay rebublican why vote for you…let the govt tell you how to live the way you want to dictate to me how to live….

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 2:36am
  34. Well my vote is for Obama or Barbie. I’m still up in the air about it…

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 6:06am
  35. Think before you vote.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 6:52am
  36. Wow. Amazing to see so much stereotyping on here. I have gay friends that are voting for Romney in November. A lot of you are just sick

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 2:09pm
  37. if you are gay and voting for Romney, you’re like a gay chicken supporting chick-fil-a.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 5:55pm
  38. that’s why I don’t understand LogCabin republicans.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:31pm
  39. not only that its a vote against equality, womens rights, civil rights and more i would even call it a vote against the american way

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:31pm
  40. … or the idiots at GOProud.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:34pm
  41. A vote for Romney-Ryan is a vote against logic and reasoning, really.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:34pm
  42. so so so true <3

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:35pm
  43. Something I made an Oath never to do!

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:36pm
  44. it’s just an “anti” vote for any progress on any front

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:37pm
  45. a vote for ryan and romney is a vote for stupidity and ignorance against everyone thats not rich

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:38pm
  46. OBAMA 2012

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:38pm
  47. For all of us Americans gay or not gay what a disaster to vote for him wake up people

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:38pm
  48. If you vote for Romney- you are supporting someone who wants to reinstate the don’t ask, don’t tell policy, ban same sex marriage, make it illegal for same sex couples to adopt, and any other rights that go along with it. Not to mention, they favor the wealthy, along with major tax cuts for people earning $3 million or higher. He also wants to take away planned parenthood, and make abortion illegal. He is a bigoted extremist, and is going to return everyone back to the 1960′s.. A vote for Romney is a vote against any progress, or change in this country. Obama 2012!

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:42pm
  49. Well, one thing that society has been good at is making gay people full of self-loathing…

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:42pm
  50. its ok to be gay and conservative. what i dont understand is any gay, whether conservative or not, supporting this current GOP! this GOP is so far gone that if the shit they are currently pulling here happened in a foreign nation, the US Gov would be condemning them! we have LITERALLY gone to war to prevent/correct things around the world, which the GOP is enacting here at home! SICKENING!!!

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:43pm
  51. Gay Republicans should boycott Romney/Ryan and support Johnson/Gray.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:46pm
  52. It’s like a Jewish Nazi! Completely against your own interests unless of course you are part of the 1%!

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 7:59pm
  53. would vote republican if I was usa citizen. Im gay and i hate being gay.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:18pm
  54. Yep, it makes as much sense as wanting to be a hooker when you’re committed to staying a virgin until marriage.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:24pm
  55. I am at a crossroads here. I don’t support the republicans. However, it is even harder for me to vote for a man who is NOT a Christian and not even born in the U.S. for that matter. Obama supporting the LGBTQ community is great. But the two points mentioned above really has me confused on who to vote for this election.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:24pm
  56. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151166474286416&set=a.10151166474066416.494857.574401415&type=3&theater

I am embarrassed. I cant believe I have as much as 8% in common with Romney, there must be a mistake.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:29pm
  57. Hawaii is part of the US. he’s 101% American

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:31pm
  58. I do not want obama or romney to get in as president by the way our country will still be messed up in many ways

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:44pm
  59. Not a Christian? Not American? Please, please, say facts and not rumors and bogus slurs from TV.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 9:29pm
  60. Hmmm, I read all the comments, did I miss a rumor or bogus slur somewhere. Romney has had his mouth open all over the internet and tv and there are clips to prove all of the crazy stuff he says. He can lie and refute everything he says but there is proof readily available to anybody with a small amount of intelligence if they take time and look for it.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 10:00pm
  61. So fuckin’ true. Don’t vote for people that hate you!

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 10:55pm
  62. to be honest i don’t like all of what obama says, in fact i really don’t want to vote for him, but between him and romney Obama wins my vote 100 percent. i wouldn’t like someone who wants to turn this country into a theist dictatorship, to take the rights women deserve to make sure any rights the lgbt has had to fight for away again. no mr. romney, we need to progress not go back to the dark ages.

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 11:36pm
  63. Cant stand either of them… Gary Johnson (L) for the upset… and the stockade for OweBama/ Biden-my-time for Treason!!!

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 at 5:14am
  64. Some of us hope for change in the GOP. Ryan voted for a bill that makes discrimination of GLBT persons in the work place illegal. That’s a start.

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 at 5:51am
  65. Why should it even matter what sexual orientation you are in a work place? You are there to work, not have sex. Well, unless you work in some brothel.

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:13am