Parents of gay Mormons tell their kids, ‘It Gets Better’

Monday, April 23, 2012

A group of Mormon parents are defending their gay children in a new “It Gets Better” video which challenges the Mormon church’s disapproval of homosexuality and same-sex relationships.

In the video, released Saturday during a national conference for gay Mormons in Washington, D.C., parents recall their experiences of struggling with their faith when their children told them they were gay, and how they came to love them for who they are.

“My job is to love. My job is to accept,” said Charles Carver, a father from Utah, said about his gay son.

Watch:

The video, produced by Kendall Wilcox, a gay former Brigham Young University employee, follows a similar project released by gay students at BYU.

In that video, also produced by Wilcox, Mormon students discussed the conflict they felt about being gay and Mormon, and how they considered suicide because they couldn’t reconcile their sexual orientation with their faith.

Wilcox said his videos highlight the growing disparity between the church’s ban on homosexual activity and its members’ support for friends and relatives who are gay.

“It’s sort of an invitation to Mormons everywhere to come out and say, we can’t be quiet about this anymore. We have to show support,” Wilcox said.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. I wonder how many of those parents will vote for Romney

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:33pm
  2. future excomunicated mormens of America

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:40pm
  3. That video was so beautiful.

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:40pm
  4. I don’t get how religious groups preach hate for people, seeing how their suppose to be representing God. Not to mention the devastating affect that all this hate has on young kids, who are killing themselves over the bullies, & guilt. It’s just plain wrong!!!!

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:40pm
  5. Yes I hope this is 100% real and true ,for them to show support for gay mormon kids my problem – is just the timing of it just saying; this could just be simply a Mitt Romney campaign gimic!! I hope and pray its not : because that would def be really low if its a campaign trick . promise I’m not the only one thinking about this

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:40pm
  6. As a gay mormon I was incredibly happy to see this video, and it brings tears to my eyes every time. I’ve struggled with thinking I was evil for having these feelings, and have often considered suicide. I am overjoyed that the church is finally telling us it’s okay to be gay.

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:45pm
  7. I hope they mean this. They intolerance was one of the many reasons I left them.

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:52pm
  8. If the Baptist now would just get their heads at of their asses

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:54pm
  9. I am a mormon, but I do not look down on gay’s, lesbian’s, bisexual’s, or transgender’s. As a matter of fact one of my best friends is gay and I wouldn’t trade him for the world and I have another friend that is lesbian and she is really great, I wouldn’t trade her for anythng either. They are two of the greatest friends that would help u out with anything. I’m glad that these parents are standing up and supporting these kids.

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:58pm
  10. All ARE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD UNLESS SUCH GOD IS JUST A FIGMENT OF EVERYONE’S IMAGINATION………WE HAVE BEEN SOLD A NIGHTMARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A REALISTIC DREAM.

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:04pm
  11. @jimmy…..i hope not ..either……@marylu….this isnt the church saying its ok….this is loving parents that dispite the churchs beliefs are supporting and loving their children ……as a parent should

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:07pm
  12. Mormons will be the first ones to tell u that they do not disapprove of homosexuality but the sexual acts of it, they will tell u that it is ok to be gay but just dont do anything about it which IS the most damaging thing these so-called Mormon ‘parents’ r doin to their kids, BULL-fucken-SHIT, u cannot be Mormon n be supportive of a gay lifestyle n support the laws that discriminate against them….u ‘parents’ r disgusting beyond belief, i would disown YOU if i was ur kid

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 12:11am
  13. I had nothing to do with the production of this video, I’ve just been following it closely. The timing is unfortunate because it’s making people question whether this has something to do with Romney’s campaign. I am positive it is no such thing but check its background for yourself. I believe this stuff is happening because support for gay rights is accelerating at this moment. The guy who made it is named Kendall Wilcox, he is an openly gay Mormon who was fired from BYU and has been working on a movie called Far Between. http://farbetweenmovie.com/

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 1:18am
  14. I am a Mormon mother of a gay son…I am not active in the Church and haven’t been for years….but I believe with all of my heart that these parents are sincere…I know how they feel. I love my son with all of my heart and accept and support him 100 percent.

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 10:55am
  15. My very Mormon parents have totally accepted me and my legal wife.

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 4:10am