Georgia

Gays compared to pedophiles, necrophiliacs at Georgia state House hearing

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ATLANTA — The Georgia House Judiciary subcommittee on Tuesday voted 3-2 to table a bill that would have provided workplace protections to all state employees, including LGBT workers, not long after hearing testimony comparing gays to pedophiles and necrophiliacs.

The sponsor of the bill, Democratic State Representative Karla Drenner, said after the committee’s vote, “Tabling it is not as not as bad as beating it. But tabling it means they killed it.”

The GA Voice reported that Jeff Graham, executive director of Georgia Equality — which has been lobbying heavily in favor of the bill — said it is too soon to say the bill is dead.

“The bill is very much still alive,” said Graham, who was among several supporters of the bill who testified at the hearing. “We had as conservative a group as we could have had and they voted to table and not end it.”

In 2010, the state passed an anti-bullying bill after it was first tabled, Graham said. So, he said, Tuesday’s action does not mean the end of HB 630. But it won’t be easy to get it passed, he admitted. Georgia Equality is urging people to call their local legislators to lobby on behalf of the bill.

“It is going to be a huge challenge to get it through this year,” he said.

During the course of testimony in support and in opposition to the measure — HB 630 — one witness urged lawmakers to oppose the bill, saying that passage would increase the likelihood of increased pedophilia in Georgia’s schools.

Tanya Ditty, state director for the anti-gay Concerned Women for America, testified saying:

“What’s going to protect our children if a pedophiliac comes in and gets a teaching job, is a bus driver, is a custodian? And they could be people that just want to prey on children and they would be protected by this law,” testified Tanya Ditty, state director for the anti-gay group, Concerned Women for America.

Ditty stated that “sexual orientations” included pedophilia, transsexuality, zoophilia and necrophilia and that “we do not believe the government should have a special protected minority class.”

Watch, courtesy the GA Voice:

Graham said “he hoped people would better understand what Georgia faces at the General Assembly every day when working for LGBT equality” after listening to Ditty’s comments.

“I think it certainly shows there is reasonable argument why this bill should pass,” said Graham. “It is up to the members of the committee and the legislature to do what is right or cave into the ridiculous fears of our opponents. Our opponents can’t even make a reasonable argument against this. That’s why they have to distort the facts and go as extreme as they do,” he said.

Archives: , , ,

Filed under: Georgia

1. Assholes!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:31pm
  2. How the hell arê gays classified as pedophiles???? Thèy arê human beings. Just because Theyre attracted to the same sex doesnt mean anything. You cant help who you fall in love with. Not Every1 is the same.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:32pm
  3. when will this insanity end…?

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:33pm
  4. I echo Ed.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:33pm
  5. I’m sorry! My response was infantile! But, it just gets so frustrating and you can only hold the hurt in so long!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:35pm
  6. I did not know I was into either one of those, always the last to find out this stuff..*sigh* I gotta keep up.

They should take a look at Twilight, that bitch was into beastiality and necrophilia…and she was straight.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:35pm
  7. This disgusts me. Absolutely sickening.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:36pm
  8. ugh. that i live there disgusts me.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:37pm
  9. Personally, I believe that no one should be bullied for their sexual orientation. It doesn’t matter whether someone likes children, just as long as they don’t act on it. As for necrophiliacs, that’s a grey area. If they consented before death, then it may not be an issue. Homosexuality doesn’t have any issues surrounding consent, so I’d say it’s pretty stupid of them to compare it to the other two.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:38pm
  10. Panda your one of the bright lights in Georgia :)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:39pm
  11. … what the actual FUCK? We are /not/ pedophiles, necrophiliacs, or anything of that sort. There is nothing wrong with being homosexual.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:40pm
  12. People if you look back when interracial marriage was the hot topic – the conservative republicans and religious bigots are using the EXACT same language today. This translates as the desperate arguments of a losing team…. It is amazing that so much hypocrisy and bigotry is still alive in a first world country..

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:40pm
  13. Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:40pm
  14. Well, I’m sure the comparison came up empty. And so will their Christmas stockings.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:41pm
  15. Sadly we live in a country where people arê more comfortable seeing guys walking down the street holding guns instead of hands.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:41pm
  16. You said it right on Kirstie ! How barbaric can some of these states get?

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:44pm
  17. I don’t blame you one bit for your response, Ed. I’m so, so tired of the relentless hate and intolerance. It disgusts me, and this sort of bs is exactly why this country needs federally legislated protections and civil rights for ALL. We can’t and shouldn’t have to wait 20 years for certain states to get it right. Why should we pay taxes and not be afforded the same rights as other citizens??! I want my money back.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:44pm
  18. What a complete idiot. There’re only 4 sexual orientations. Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, and Asexuals. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:45pm
  19. some of my favorite postings :)

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:45pm
  20. I just wonder what level of eduction this idiots have??? God have mercy !!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:47pm
  21. Oh I needed something to laugh at.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:47pm
  22. Hang in there, Dorchelle. : )

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:48pm
  23. Wow beth. You seriously brought tears to my eyes. Through poetry.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:48pm
  24. True poetry. But it wrks both ways. Wow.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:49pm
  25. All I can say is WTF!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:49pm
  26. People can’t be fucking serious!

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:51pm
  27. I always hear people say its against the bible to be gay. And whenever some1 tells me that, it never seems to fail that i piss them off by saying people do shit against the bible every Damn day and you never see a controversial scene being made âbout the other “against the bible” stuff. I just wish people will accept the fact that there arê gays out there and that thèy cant change that.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 10:51pm
  28. THIS is as dated as 1970. Hopefully the Attorneys` with ACLU are on top of it. But it`s certainly motivation to assemble in Georgia.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:03pm
  29. Yet another state that is uneducated and way behind the times.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:06pm
  30. What moron wrote the article????? Wow really????? This article is awful and evil. I do believe in free speech but this is just an abomination! Wow. I am dumbfounded…….

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:08pm
  31. Welcome to the south.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:09pm
  32. Maybe we should have just freed the slaves, made certain they were allowed to leave, and then cut our losses with these pinhead crackers.

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:16pm
  33. Ever notice how it’s always the ugliest fucking people against equality?

Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:46pm
  34. There’s just no excuse for this type of ignorance in this world of information. That thinking is so 20th century! Georga; I smell rotten peaches!

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 1:23am
  35. These damn people don’t realize that most pedofiles are STRAIT men!

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 6:13am
  36. WE now this is bullshit… there are more out there in the str8 and hateful wold1!!

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 7:22am