American Family Association targets Toys R Us over gay couple in Archie comics

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

After failing to convince JC Penney to fire Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson because she is openly gay, now the American Family Association’s group One Million Moms is putting Toys R Us in its cross hairs for selling an Archie comic book that features a same-sex marriage.

The group demands that Toys R Us “remove all the same-sex ‘Just Married – Archie’ comic books immediately from your shelves” before children are “exposed to same-sex marriage.”

The One Million Moms sample letter to the company ends with the line, “My decision to shop in your stores depends on it”:

Select Toys ‘R’ Us stores are now selling ‘Archie’ comic books with a same-sex wedding displayed on the front cover. The front cover reads “Just Married” with two men marrying and one is wearing a service uniform. This comic book is being sold in select stores across the country. One example is the Queensbury, N.Y. location in the upstate New York area.

[...]

As a mother and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am extremely disappointed to learn that select Toys ‘R’ Us stores are now selling ‘Archie’ comic books with a same-sex wedding displayed on the front cover. I am referring to the ones where the front cover reads “Just Married” with two men marrying, one wearing a service uniform.

I am aware that Toys ‘R’ Us employees do not actually set up the displays; they leave this up to the vendor. Your company should be aware of the merchandise being sold in your stores nonetheless. These comic books are displayed at the front checkout counters so they are highly visible to employees, managers, customers and children.

Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to same-sex marriage in your toy store. This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand. Issues of this nature are being introduced too early and too soon, which is becoming extremely common and unnecessary.

A trip to the toy store turns into a premature discussion on sexual orientation and is completely uncalled for. Toys ‘R’ Us should be more responsible in the products they carry.

Please remove all the same-sex “Just Married – Archie” comic books immediately from your shelves. My decision to shop in your stores depends on it.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concern.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. … Are you kidding me.

No. Seriously. This is a joke, right? Or they’re trolling us. Right? They can’t be stone-faced serious about something like that. Do they not have lives outside scoping the LGBT community?

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:00am
  2. people get a life we are here and will always be and have always been here just love us and leave us be we are your best friends if ya just knew us!!!!! go buy toys from here support them

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:01am
  3. Ridiculous

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:01am
  4. Little do they realize that no one actually reads Archie comics…

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:01am
  5. these cackeling hens have nothing better to do

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:04am
  6. Oh my god, come on now! They’re here, they’re queer, get used to it.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:04am
  7. Give it up AFA (and the rest of you)… Scripture says to take the plank out of your own eye, BEFORE trying to get the speck of dust out of someone else’s. Oh, and another reminder from Scripture- Those who judge others will be judged that much more… Jesus the Christ has invited everyone to his banquet table for a blessed feast, not just….. (fill in the blank)….

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:05am
  8. What the fuck?!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:05am
  9. People need to just shut the hell up & let people live their lives

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:06am
  10. lol.. AFA are so back woods creatures.. it’s not in my heart to call them human. They don’t like change at all, how stuffy and stiffling it must be to be them.. yawn.. such boring things they are.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:07am
  11. I am just annoyed there isn’t a Toys R Us withing a hundred miles of my home…guess I’ll order my granddaughters’ spring presents on line from them! I’ll order the comic book too and save it til the girls are old enough to read!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:08am
  12. not sure my toy r us will have this since its only in select ones but i will for sure go check…yay toys r us! :)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:11am
  13. Those bitches wont shut up from what I’m seeing

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:13am
  14. “Unfortunately, children are now being exposed to same-sex marriage in your toy store.” PAAHLEEEASE!! I think it’s an awesome thing to make same sex marriage a normal thing for children to see since it’s so common these days!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:13am
  15. Don’t even report on the idiots anymore!! Why waste time on them and give them more publicity than they deserve? Just ignore them.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:17am
  16. AFA Shut the fuck up and get the fuck out of here… I think the time has come for Cartoon Network to have a gay super hero show. :D

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:18am
  17. Here we go again! Time to support Toy R Us. We did it for Ellen and JC Penny and we can do it again! Down with bigotry and homophobia!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:19am
  18. I just laughed out loud at that excerpt from the letter. Are these same moms not concerned that a trip to the grocery store with People, the Enquirer, and COSMOPOLITAN awaiting them at the check-out will also start a premature discussion about sexual orientation? Do their children watch TV? Listen to music? Kids are being Bombarded with sex in the media…I highly doubt the Archie comic will scar them.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:23am
  19. This is funny – because Toys R Us once forced a cabaret act in Provincetown to change it’s name – it had been called “Boys R Us”. One homophobic organization bashing another. Fun.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:24am
  20. My kids do just fine with my same sex relationship my partner lives witg me and my kids happen to love him !! These people need to get a life

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:25am
  21. Yeah for Archie! Where can I get a copy?

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:32am
  22. What a terrible unfulfilling life these people must lead, to constantly be in search of someplace to lay their hatred. It’s got to be exhausting. I know it is from this angle.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:33am
  23. Seriously? Like Toys R Us is going to care? LOL!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:33am
  24. some people will never change, they are self righteous hypocrites who need psychological help

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:34am
  25. I find it funny that this is being pulled but is ok for the babies r us dept of toys r us to display Mickey mouse on t-shirt with nazi’s double ss symbol

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:35am
  26. ASSHOLES!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:51am
  27. Don’t these “Moms” have anything better to do?

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:54am
  28. American Family Association needs to realize that there are gay families as well. I pray that I’m not in a family like their’s that promotes such hate, prejudice and ignoranced.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 12:02pm
  29. Just be nutral moms. I was raised in a family that didn’t teach me to be gay and didn’t teach me to hate.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 12:27pm
  30. I’m sure AFA spends a lot at Toys-R-Us.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 12:58pm
  31. why are ppl so stupid? “premature sexual orientation conversation”? bullshit! it’s a part of life! & what about the kids that have 2 mommies or 2 daddies? they should see something that reflects their lives too.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:07pm
  32. Ummmm….where have they been? This comic has been out for a while now?

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:20pm
  33. So shouldn’t these ‘one million moms’ spend a little more time preparing these children for the society they will live in, I guess they really like the saying ignorance is bliss… Like give your head a shake!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:23pm
  34. Too bad these Moms have nothing better to do! How about getting on with their lives and families…

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:33pm
  35. o i guess somehow if their kids reads that issue featuring gay marriage they will turn out to by gay and over all bad people….. if they believe this they seriously need to get a life and stop being so stupid, dont they have lives? they need to get it through their thick skulls that there is nothing they can do about the LGBT community, its here so deal with it, if they cant go ship themselves off to the moon or something, they make me want to vomit….

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 6:10pm
  36. WHAT IT MEEN ? Mome?2. 3. 6. Frist they are not 2 mame./so 1 …if jou dont practice to respect and that count do not importante… In this case jou cant feel tham with understud so anybody no have right to coment tham… SO FLOSKULE TO WORY
    About sosate….but forgot for personal whish and hapy..

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 6:41pm
  37. AFA is obviously on a mission to bring “the gay” to the masses. I mean they must know the spectacular publicity and exposure these gay things are getting because of them! Likewise they seem determined to expose the idiocy and smallness of the anti-gay mentality.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:33pm
  38. Job well done~!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:33pm
  39. Since the Kevin Keller comics have been widely sold for over a year you have to wonder why they’re getting at riled now.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:35pm
  40. Maybe someone should organize a petition to threaten a boycott if they bow to the bigotted wishes of the AFA. Marriage is not a concept children should struggle with. It’s not a notion to protect children from. It’s not like they had sexual content on the cover. Those uptight bigots need to grow up. If they need proof of how accepting children are, consider my son. He had no clue I am gay until he was 7. I simply said some boys wanna marry girls, some boys wanna marry boys, some girls wanna marry boys, and some girls wanna marry girls. I am gay. That means I wanna marry another woman someday, and not a man. He said okay, and suggested I marry my best friend because we get along well and she’s nice.lol Sooooo traumatic for him.lol

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:37pm
  41. Wow! Adding Toys R Us to our shopping list to pick up what’s sure to become a collector’s comic book! Thank you, Archie comics! And thank you, Toys R Us!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:39pm
  42. Yes lady, because YOU pissing your kid off is such a big loss to them.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:43pm
  43. Lol. They probably called their organization ” One Million Moms” because they wanted to make their crappy group look bigger and more intimidating than it really is.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:47pm
  44. for heaven sakes.. already

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:50pm
  45. You never hear of any homosexual attack on heterosexuals, and yet they continually attack the gay community. They’re making the rest of us look bad, if you ask me.

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:52pm
  46. Oh for God’s sake…how ridiculous!!!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:56pm
  47. all this gay overload.. ugh enough already

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:58pm
  48. What about Bert and Ernie? Just sayin…

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:06pm
  49. What about getting a life and letting us live ours? Just sayin…

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:15pm
  50. I’ve got two nieces and now another excuse to shop at Toys R Us…

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:15pm
  51. i love archie! i don’t have a problem with this at all

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:17pm
  52. Guess I have to go buy this comic!

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:18pm
  53. Now there’s a gay couple in the comic, I used to get that comic in middle school. Cherry Bloosom was my favorite

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:21pm
  54. shame on Toy R Us

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 11:51pm
  55. Fuck you Gustavo Morelos! GO Toys R US!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 12:38am
  56. Buying some tomorrow!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 12:43am
  57. I wonder how many of the board games we have in storage or in our motorhome need to be replaced by now…some were getting pretty old by the time we put them away…Toys ‘R’ Us carries most of them…

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 12:49am
  58. They also need to change their name to 41,000 moms,

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 4:36am
  59. Ellen pointed out on her show that when she went to the million moms page they only had 41,000 members.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 4:38am
  60. If u dont fucking like it take ur happy ass to walmart toys r us is over priced anyways. Lady children will eventually be exposed. Kids have iphones tablets laotips internet tv friends. They will be exposed. Get off your high fucking horse and remember that one time u played doctor with a friend and touched some girls vagina. Stfu. Damn!!!! Just for that I hope ur child is a gay/lesbian when they grow up so u have to do the same thing my mom did and accwot it or not have u in theyre life. Godbless you!!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:08am
  61. N idk if u pay attention. But in grand thedt auto guys fuck whores in the cars and the car viberates and the girls moan. Maybe u should boycott that to or is that ok for your child to see?

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 6:09am
  62. GO, JUGHEAD, GO!!

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 7:46am
  63. I’m thinking One Million Moms needs a new name:

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 8:35am
  64. The “American Family Association” isn’t really pro-American and not really pro-Christian family either. They are a pseudo-Christian political organization.

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 1:16pm