Will Obama endorse marriage equality in ‘State of the Union’ address?

Saturday, January 21, 2012

WASHINGTON — White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Friday he wouldn’t rule “in or out” the possibility of President Obama endorsing same-sex marriage in the upcoming State of the Union address.

Carney made the remarks on whether Obama would announce support for marriage equality during the State of the Union address, which is set to take place Tuesday before a joint session of Congress, in response to a question from the Washington Blade.

“I will not rule anything in or out,” Carney said. “I’m just not going to talk about — beyond pointing at his words — his personal views on this. I think his administration’s policies on related issues are there for people to judge.”

Obama doesn’t support same-sex marriage, but since October 2010 he’s suggested his views could “evolve” in favor of same-sex marriage, However, he hasn’t yet made an endorsement in support of marriage rights for gay couples.

However, in 1996, Obama, during his bid to become an Illinois state senator, said in a questionnaire response to the Windy City Times, “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.”

Carney commented on the possibility of marriage equality in the State of the Union address after CNN’s Dan Lothian asked for an update on Obama’s evolving views on marriage. Among CNN’s questions were whether Obama talks with people about marriage or reads books as part of this evolution process.

The White House spokesperson said he doesn’t “have an update” on Obama’s position on marriage, but articulated accomplishments that Obama has achieved on LGBT issues in his response.

“I think it is important as part of my answer here to just remind you about the president’s record on these issues,” Carney said. “Ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and on marriage in particular, having the federal government stand down from, or his administration stand down from defending DOMA, believing that it’s unconstitutional and working to have it repealed.”

Carney said he’d leave it to the president to describe his “personal views,” but reiterated his administration’s record on “these issues that are very important” is clear.

Continue reading at the Washington Blade
© Washington Blade. Reprinted by permission.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. no

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:32pm
  2. I would think so, but likely not.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:34pm
  3. We can only hope he does…

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:35pm
  4. pleeeeease????

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:36pm
  5. no – hee needs to keep his mouth shut on this issue – do not give easy ammo to the other party before the election. Keep the speech focused on jobs and the economy. Let the states continue this battle.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:37pm
  6. It would be FANTASTIC if Obama endorsed same-sex marriage equality. :) Love is love after all.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:38pm
  7. It’s about time!

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:39pm
  8. I agree with Steve. He will definately start saying it after November.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:46pm
  9. What, before an ELECTION?!?!? Don’t be silly! ;-)

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:56pm
  10. yes he will

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:57pm
  11. It’s coming up to election season. It’s time for Obama to start kissing up to us again.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:58pm
  12. He isnt gonna say or do anything good, like always.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:59pm
  13. Get him reelected. And then…..

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:04pm
  14. I agree with Eric but in his second term definitely.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:13pm
  15. Of course he will, like last election time. Once re-elected, on to the back burner the lgbt community will return.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:14pm
  16. Only he can’t decide that.
    Likewise my Vote.
    I decide.

It is time for
    Freedom & Equality
    for all Americans.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:25pm
  17. like a poor man giving finacial advice.. there some great posts attached to this article :) just be you.. moving on.. I am all for same-sex marriage just for my selfish right.. obama has a bigger prospective to consider if u little pea brains would step outside of ur own prospectives.. its a movment that has to be handled with care.. ppl will be ppl and most will abuse anything that is just given to them.. as a leader he need to consider all prospective and know the details on how he can’t create a strong structure.. if u think its hard pleasing ur family.. try and please a whole nation.. relax.. I will be patient & understand although I may not agree with some.. istand strong with my pride.. keep it bentley LGBT & know urself!

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 2:01pm
  18. I think he should say it now. Equality should not be something hard to defend. The right is so far off the deep end, even people who were against gay rights are seeing how wrong the bigots are

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 2:11pm
  19. Sure hope so! The GOP already took stabs at him, saying his position on marriage is the same as theirs. He has nothing to lose by support marriage but everything to gain.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 2:36pm
  20. I don’t endorse gay marriage and here’s why-
    I think the gay issue is an anatomy debate. Our bodies are just not anatomically designed for gay sex. We are anatomically designed for hetero sex. We’re adults, so let’s talk real… The anus doesn’t lubricate for a penis the way a vagina does. Two men can’t make a baby on their own, 2 woman can’t either. 2 gay women still get their periods even though they both can’t make a baby together between them. When are we gonna just name it vs. blame it?? I don’t know why some ppl are attracted to same sex … but I know it’s not part of the Design. If you want to defend and say “but some hetero couples can’t make a baby either”, yes some can’t -but it’s considered a deviation from the Natural Design. It’s indisputable about how we are anatomically designed for male-female union. I’m not opposed to civil union for gays, but I’d like to leave marriage for one man and one woman, per our anatomy. Nothing opposing rights or equality, not about prejudice, just upholding the truth about how our human anatomy is Designed. (and yes, I do have gay friends!)

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 3:59pm
  21. If he hasn’t done it in the past, he won’t do it in the future. If he does talk about it, it will be simply to get votes and to use the GLBT community for his own selfish motives. I don’t think he has any intention of doing anything!

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 4:29pm
  22. @Mary if a woman wants to marry a woman,what is it to you?you aren’t getting one.And there is more to being a lesbian than just sex,k?if you don’t like gay marriage,don’t get one.but don’t try to control other people’s choices.They deserve to be happy,and it isn’t a mental illness,people are born that way,so don’t they deserve to be happy just like everyone else?

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 5:16pm
  23. Promises, promises and as soon as he’s re-elected he will forget all about us again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 5:47pm
  24. Mary, please go choke on a dick. People like you are just like racists who call black people the “N” word, say you aren’t racist and then try to defend yourself by saying you have black friends. It’s disgusting and narrow minded. It doesn’t matter what draconian ideas about anatomy you have, people should be allowed to what they want with their bodies and who the love so long as it doesn’t involve children and animals. Please educate yourself( you know, since we are all adults), read what psych professionals say about the nature of homosexuality and if you can’t refrain from shoving your misguided and just plain wrong opinions down other peoples throats, then maybe you just need to unlike this page and go find someone that likes listening to a bunch of lies and leave us the hell alone!

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 5:53pm
  25. I think it’s a victory that this is now a relevant question and that we feel we can demand an answer to it. From the president! How often has this conversation started and ended with hatred? This is progress and I can’t be unhappy about it even if it leads nowhere.

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:06pm
  26. @Nicole, I added that I have gay friends to avoid comments I’ve had about “you must not have any gay friends”…I do, so my aim was to pre-empt that. I also have Dem and Repub fAnd, I’m not a racist to state the facts about human anatomy. Since when is how babies are made “Draconian”?
    @Crystal I’m not taking a stance against happiness for everyone, and plenty of married people are not happy – The pursuit of happiness is based upon marriage now? My point is specific to how the human anatomy is designed -

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 8:31pm
  27. Equality is about human dignity, but unfortunately, it takes a lot time to break down prejudices that are embedded in much of society.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 10:56am
  28. Obama, Should endorse marriage equality, because he isn’t to far ahead in the polls and with Most of the country now viewing homosexuals as people that are here to stay, this would boost his popularity, But there is a pro and con to this. Once he endorses marriage equality, the Homophobic republicans will jump all over it. But the Pro, with the Republicans in New Hampshire trying to repeal marriage equality, and 60% of the state in favor of keeping marriage equality, Obama could gain numbers, in New Hampshire, and the other New England states, along with New Jersey, and possibly Colorado, Washington, and Even win California.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 1:37pm
  29. The same rumor was floated around at exactly the same time last year. President Obama made a scant reference to marriage equality, but no specific endorsement was given. However, regardless of his words or lack thereof, it is clear, by his actions alone, that this man is for marriage equality. He is for the recognition of same sex marriage and all the rights, protections and benefits that it affords such a couple. I thank him for his commitment and he will get my vote again this election. Obama 2012.

Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 11:05pm
  30. Glad you have gay friends. Guess what they want the same rights as everyone else. Civil unions don’t cut it. Why should a gay married couple pay 6000 bucks more in taxes than a hetero couple? On this anatomy crap you spewed, why don’t you try having gay sex before you knock it.

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 5:32am
  31. My vote is no as well. It is clear and evident that Obama has never been, is not and will never be a Progressive.

That’s despite GOP rhetoric to the contrary.

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 5:36am
  32. I think the president has a lot to gain by supporting marriage equality. 53% of americans now support it, and it will do a great deal to “get out the vote” among progressives that put him there in the first place. I for one won’t vote for “Republucan lite”; Obama needs to show me that he isn’t.

Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 6:41am