North Carolina governor opposes anti-gay marriage amendment

By Matt Comer
Friday, October 7, 2011

RALEIGH, N.C. — North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue announced today her opposition to a proposed anti-LGBT constitutional amendment that would ban recognition of marriage, civil unions and domestic partner benefits for same-sex couples in the state.

Bev Perdue

“In addition, a number of legal experts have argued that this amendment, if passed, could eliminate legal protections for all unmarried couples in our state, regardless of sexual orientation. Right now, my focus, the General Assembly’s focus, and North Carolina’s focus needs to be on creating jobs.”

The announcement comes after weeks of speculation over Perdue’s personal thoughts on the measure. The Democrat had refused requests by the media and activists for her to clarify her remarks or issue a more definitive statement. In fact, two requests for comment from QNotes to the governor’s press office were ignored.

Matt Comer is Editor of QNotes.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: North Carolina

1. BITCH.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:33pm
  2. >:’-[ that’s not fair…

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:34pm
  3. go to hell bitch

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:35pm
  4. Yay :D
    And guys, that’s a good thing!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:35pm
  5. Does she not realize that a lot of workers in NC are in fact GAY? I mean… She just want’s to be an uptight bi%$% and make herself look worse. We deserve just as many rights as everyone else because we put as much effort into the economy as everyone else…

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:35pm
  6. ill just have to get married in Canada..so HA

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:35pm
  7. Pass the law in NC!!!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:35pm
  8. People don’t realize that “yes the marriage means something to you” but a state that bans the gay marriage doesn’t recognize it for NOTHING.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:36pm
  9. do people not know what “opposes” means?

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:37pm
  10. You go, grrrl!!! Thanks for the support!!! :-{P} And for the people who can’t read, please remove your misinformed posts!!! :-)

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:41pm
  11. It’s OPPOSES ANTI-GAY!!!! Not SUPPORTS!!!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:43pm
  12. that is bull shit gay marrage will have no affect on jobs. if they are not going to let gay marrage be legal no marrage shud be legal. it is taking away the rites of the people of the united states there is no reason to be predudis againts gays. all the homofobes need to stop becaus there is nothing wrong with gays. i want this to be an amendmet and this bull shit that ur talking governor needs to stop. if your child was gay would u take away their rights to get married to the person they love weather its same sex or opposite sex.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:43pm
  13. Um no. Oppose means against. “all in favor say i… All OPPOSE?!”

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:44pm
  14. if u click on this link above u will see that she does not support gay marrage

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:44pm
  15. “My top priority is creating jobs,” Perdue said in a statement released on Friday afternoon. “Too many people are out of work and I’ve heard from several business leaders who’ve told me that the proposed constitutional amendment will harm our state’s business climate and make it harder to grow jobs here.”

Perdue added, “I believe that marriage is between one man and one woman: That’s why I voted for the law in 1996 that defines marriage as between one man and one woman, and that’s why I continue to support that law today. But I’m going to vote against the amendment because I cannot in good conscience look an unemployed man or woman in the eye and tell them that this amendment is more important than finding them a job. this is what the governor said

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:46pm
  16. I’d be happier to hear her say “Hell No”!!!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:46pm
  17. She may not agree with us on this issue, but I’m really fucking glad to hear someone make this much sense. Jobs are more important than your “moralistic” crap!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:48pm
  18. governor,
    This opposing this amendment will not affect the growth of jobs. The people who you are talking to has no knoledge of what is going to happen if this amendment is passed. I understand that making jobs are your first priority but there is no need to say that this amendment will not make more jobs. if you opose this amendment then the right of some people of the united states is being taken away. There should be no marrage at all if the gays can not marrie who they love. if it was your son or daughter who was gay would you stop them from marrieing who they love? This amendment would not decline jobs but make more of them. that is just my opinion. If you were to ask all the gays in the united states im pretty sure that they would agree. I myself am gay. i am a femail and if i wana get married to my partner then so be it i wud also want to have a job so i could support my family. The gay amendment would not take away jobs it is the econemy who is taking away the jobs not us.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:54pm
  19. Interesting how it can be argued that this law would limit jobs? I feel as if the two subjects (gay rights/unemployment) are totally unrelated. Also I find it sort of hideous that the only reason she’d allow homosexual marriage to be legal would be to create jobs, while she currently stands against the idea of it. This is the sort of jumbled politics that my young generation loves to hate, and for good reason. Occupy Wall Street.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:55pm
  20. Well, a southern governor opposing anti gay legislation is a step in the right direction I’m from GA, and I don’t know that any of our politicians would be brave enough. She is so adamant about emphasizing that she is doing thison onfording this for economic purposes. Some politicians like Obama do this to avoid offending key voters, while making small steps for gay rights. Not sure what her potential is for future support.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 5:57pm
  21. Alay,u are inconsiderate asshole,that has no idea what LOVE AND LIFE is.So to all those people tha have no consept of what LOVE is,than SHUT THE FUCK UP and leave us normal ppl alone.Cuz GOD gave us LOVE and if u can’t be a person who understands what LOVE is,than u have no right what to say what is right an what is wrong

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 6:00pm
  22. Really, she’s just a user.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 6:25pm
  23. She makes sense. At least she does not want anyone on the street and to create more jobs for everyone. You guys should not have to ask any more from her. Sure she may not support the lgbt marriage, but at least she wants us to live our lives and off the street.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 6:26pm
  24. It does not make sense to me. What does she think she is protecting? Honestly, in CT, we need more gay couples…. I married a beautiful female couple TODAY from North Carolina… I say to them and others…bring your wonderful educated selves to CT.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 6:44pm
  25. She is against the ban, but only because it doesn’t create jobs. I wonder what God thinks about only banning gay marriage when the economy is good.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 6:59pm
  26. JUST ANOTHER HATER !!!!! WHY DO YOU PEOPLE IN N.C. KEEP VOTING PEOPLE LIKE HER INTO OFFICE ?????????? GET RID OF HER AND ALL HATERS LIKE HER !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 7:13pm
  27. I think what she means is that the money and effort spent on trying to ban gay marriage should be spent on making and upholding jobs. Which I completely agree with. If things go the way I hope they will, she’ll be the first of many anti-gay politicians to realize that there are more important things this country needs to focus on, even if they disagree with it. Hopefully she’ll start the wave of people finally realizing that this country literally can’t afford to fight these petty fights any more.

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 7:44pm
  28. cause she hasn’t come out yet

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 8:12pm
  29. you know at least she is doing what she was voted in to do i mean if she hated LGBT people she would not oppposes this witch is a good thing that we have people in office willing to over look sum of there own baleafs

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 8:17pm
  30. true she still stands by what she has voted for but in her place in palaticks you cant really admit to doing wrong it makes you look week

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 8:18pm
  31. So you who are “normal” are saying that those people who consider themselves “different” aka lgbt community should not have the same rights to employment, love, marriage, and medical care just b/c of their orientation? That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

Posted on Friday, October 7, 2011 at 10:43pm
  32. I agree, she is voting NO against the amendment. I just wished she had said something about this amendment discriminating against the gay and lesbian people of NC. What about the rights of us. I agree this will hurt the jobs of NC if it passes, but how much more will it hurt gay and lesbians who pay this woman’s salary. I think she doesn’t like to talk about gay issues, because in fact she doesn’t believe in our civil rights, its just a hunch, I may be wrong here. Bev Perdue needs to stand up for ALL of North Carolina. You can’t stradle the fence here, either you are for civil rights or not.

Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 3:58am
  33. ummmm is it just me or is your gaydar going off like crazy when you look at her too ? lol omg she looks like she could use a gf

Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 4:02am
  34. super!

Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 5:20am
  35. She opposes gay marriage, personally, but supports it for job growth??? Why would we thank her for that? By whatever means, I guess, it is a step in the right direction for NC.

Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 5:24am