Dan Savage: ‘Not a single GOP elected official’ has participated in ‘It Gets Better’

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dan Savage, co-founder of the “It Gets Better Project” — a campaign to inspire LGBT youth facing adversity and depression — called out Republicans politicians on Thursday over their refusal to participate in the campaign aimed at preventing teen suicide.

Dan Savage

Savage was responding to criticism by the the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), who on Thursday said in a statement to Politico, that Savage had a “long history of lewd, violent and anti-Christian rhetoric.”

The project has had the reach and impact that it’s had thanks to tens of thousands of people from all over the world who’ve participated. [A]nd no one who participates is required to crawl into bed with me. ..:

It is interesting, though, that not a single GOP elected official can bring himself or herself to make a video, or participate in the creation of one.

No GOP elected official can risk being seen letting bullied LGBT kids know that life isn’t high school and that it will get better for them. It doesn’t require signing off on the entire gay agenda (the president made a video, and he doesn’t support gay marriage).

No GOP elected can back the seemingly radical notion that LGBT kids shouldn’t kill themselves, that they should have hope for their futures.

No GOP elected official can do even that — David Cameron, meanwhile, made a video months ago. Which tells us a lot about the noisiest part of the GOP’s base — lewd (have you seen their websites?) hate groups like Focus on the Family and Americans for Truth About Homosexuality — and how feared they are by even “moderate” senators like Scott Brown.

The NRSC’s attack on Savage came in response to growing criticism of U.S. Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), who refused to participate in an “It Gets Better” video released Wednesday that featured all other 11 members of the Massachusetts’ congressional delegation.

Savage, along with his spouse Terry Miller, founded the “It Gets Better Project” last year in response to the increasing number of teen suicides of kids who were bullied for their perceived sexual orientation. To date, the project has received more than 10,000 video contributions, including submissions from teh President, Vice-President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: National Headlines

1. they are ignorant twits

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:25pm
  2. Dan makes us in Seattle proud.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:26pm
  3. And that surprises you why?

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:26pm
  4. I’m saddened by what this country’s come to.. It makes me feel like no hope for the future..

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:26pm
  5. Don’t think vote for me and I will help BASH your kids and future generations was in their campaign promises.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:27pm
  6. In the wise words of Brian Griffin from Family Guy, “This is why I don’t vote.” Or in my case, why I don’t vote Republican.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:28pm
  7. Of course not. They don’t give a shit.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:31pm
  8. I find it funny republicans won`nt perticipate when thier the ones that come out in a “Big Way”… in airports ;)

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:34pm
  9. classic GOP

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:39pm
  10. Hey, Savage, does it get better for bisexuals like me?

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:42pm
  11. Very sad.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:44pm
  12. I cant say I’m shocked but I can say it’s sad.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:46pm
  13. Can I ask a quesiton? I JUST came out after christianity and the teachings of Christ did NOT deliver me. But I understand a christians “faith.” Are christian orgaiizations like, Focus on the Family, really considered Hate Groups, b/c they don’t believe in OUR life?

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:58pm
  14. @Vincent- And just think, it used to be worse. We are moving ahead but very very very slowly. For some crazy the human race fears change and progress. Just don’t give up, grow in numbers and act.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:01pm
  15. @ Brooks I don’t think the point was to consider the GOP a hate group but the main issue is about teen suicides. I mean maybe if strict christian conservatives like the GOP showed a little tolerance, they don’t have to believe in our life, but they can tolerate and acknowledge that we’re all people and entitled to live life, a judgement free life, just as they are. Childern are commiting suicide because of intolerance.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:07pm
  16. why would the GOP give a rat’s ass about people who in the future are not going to vote for their candidates? those folks are all about the bottom line and damned good at it! be outaged not surprised!

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:10pm
  17. because they are too busy making it worse…

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:21pm
  18. Is that supposed to be shocking? You know they probably all watch the videos and some maybe are even moved by them.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:22pm
  19. Gay, Straight or Whatever, those who drink the Repugnican Kool AID invariably find that it never does get any better for them. They’re miserable to start with and miserable throughout their pathetic lives. How could anyone who clings to a worldview based in hate & greed ever hope to get any better?

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 7:56pm
  20. Absolutely disgusting

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 8:19pm
  21. Of course not! That would go against their backward values from another time!

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 9:07pm
  22. @Brooks: in my opinion ANY group that openly promotes intolerance and spreads blatant lies about another group is a Hate Group.
    Focus on the Family does that.
    Now, I’m not a Christian, but it is my understanding that Jesus taught his followers to LOVE everyone, to treat everyone with RESPECT, and to spread God’s love and His Word to the world by living according to that Word.
    I thought Jesus also said not to judge or condemn anyone because that was God’s job. I see a whole lot of “Christian” groups doing precisely the opposite of what their Savior was supposed to have taught. I don’t think most of these groups would recognize Jesus if he walked up and slapped them like a cheap hooker.
    I do NOT agree with Christianity. I do not believe in a lot of what that religion teaches, but I still treat Christians with respect. I don’t condemn them, I don’t say they’re going to hell for their lifestyle. Here’s one about this Focus on the Family thing: they’re so focused on Family that they are trying to prevent stable, sane, loving people from adopting children and providing those children with safe, stable, loving homes in which to grow and become productive members of society, because those people happen to have the same business between their legs. They would rather see those children bounced around from one foster home to another or in and out of the children’s homes. How is that focusing on family? How is preventing two consenting, loving, same sex adults from receiving the same federal recognition as two adults of opposite sexes focusing on family? Family is LOVE. If you want to Focus on the Family, then focus on LOVE.

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 9:27pm
  23. look at republicansexoffender.com u will be surprise and passed it along

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 11:22pm
  24. You’d think Sen. Susan Collins or Sen. Olympia Snowe would jump on this soon.. here’s hoping.

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2011 at 9:56am