Tea Party leader says anti-gay bullying is ‘healthy peer pressure’

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Anti-gay bullying is not bullying at all; in fact, it is “peer pressure and is healthy.” That’s according to Rich Swier, an activist with the Tea Party Nation.

Swier was responding to a report from a Florida group that showed that “77% of all bullying victims are picked on due to sexual orientation, gender identity, or the perception of either.” The report also pointed out that “LGBT youth are up to five times more likely to commit suicide than their straight counterparts.”

But, according to Swier, the anti-bullying campaign is nothing more than a sham by “radical gay activists.” He says that it’s all a part of the ever omnipotent “gay agenda” and its plan to indoctrinate school children into the so-called “homosexual lifestyle.”

Rich Swier

Homosexuality is simply bad behavior that youth see as such and rightly pressure their peers to stop it. In Sarasota County over 70% of all HIV/AIDS cases are due to male sex with males.

I agree with Gulf Coast Gives that “LGBT youth are up to five times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight counterparts”. Homosexuality, like drugs, harms young people if they experement [sic] with it. That is the greatest tragedy.

It’s truly amazing how these bigots, who work tirelessly to foster an atmosphere conducive to bullying and more bigotry, and work just as tirelessly to deflect the blame from themselves.

According to men like Swier, these astronomical suicide rates have nothing to do with the relentless hatred gay youth have to endure from bigots and bullies like themselves; the kids are the ones at fault for their own misery. Swier may be a perfect example of the biblical concept of human depravity.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Newsmakers

1. OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO. How do we keep these people from talking to media???

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:46pm
  2. Of course they think it’s healthy. They suffer zero consequences. :)

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:46pm
  3. what an A-HOLE!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:47pm
  4. PEER PRESSURE MY ASS i DON’T CALLED GETTING RAPED OR BEATEN PEER PRESSURE I CALL THAT ABUSE AND IS OVERLOOKED BY COPS AND OTHERS BC THEY ARE A BUNCH OF FUCKING HOMOPHOBES WHO NEED A LIFE! >:@

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:47pm
  5. I don’t believe i’ve ever wanted to strangle a man so much. Swier, please do the rest of the world a favor, and go jump off a cliff.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:47pm
  6. why do these people exist

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:47pm
  7. I want him dead.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:48pm
  8. hmmmmmmmmm

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:48pm
  9. Uh huh…we can add him to the rapidly growing list of total MORONS.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:48pm
  10. Ummmmm no. People committed suicide and have been killed due to this so called “healthy” thing.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:49pm
  11. douche!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:49pm
  12. and fyi most aids come from STRAIGHT women not male on male sex u are a tard and need to look this shit up LEARN SOME GOD DAMN SENSE!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:49pm
  13. And suicide is just a phase.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:50pm
  14. Where do these people come from and are they actually human???? I’m starting to wonder if aliens with no brain cells actually exist???

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:50pm
  15. -_- this is pissing me off can anybody tell?

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:50pm
  16. i wonder if he would tell that to the parents faces whose kids have killed themselves over this healthy peer pressure.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:51pm
  17. we should find were he lives an takee a shit on his lawn :)

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:51pm
  18. What…..wow. That is horrible.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:52pm
  19. I wanna see this guy’s Birth certificate!!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:55pm
  20. It’s funny because yesterday I put up a picture of myself that was from four years ago back onto the same site it started on. It was a depressing time for me, so I looked pretty down and dark (people always called me ‘emo’, but I never will accept it, *yes I know what it means too, real definition and all*) but anyways, I just got called a fag for it, and it made me laugh. I’ve hardly ever gotten crap for me being pan-sexual, but it was even more funny because the guy that said it didn’t look at my profile, or anything. He just assumed I was gay, and started something over a picture. I just took it calmly and did the intelligent explanations. He hardly said anything back, and now he isn’t saying anything at all. I think I bummed him out because I didn’t get aggravated or anything, :) I’m proud of myself for it. I:3

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:56pm
  21. He is a disgrace to the human race.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:58pm
  22. Let’s beat the crap out of a gang of tea-baggers. Bachmann would look great with two black eyes under all that pancake!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:58pm
  23. I’m sorry, but when did bullying in any form become a healthy thing?! And who the FUCK is he to say that it is ok to bully LGBTQ youth?! Like seriously these people make me sick!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:59pm
  24. He an ass

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:59pm
  25. Fucking retard. Bullying is never right. Someone could kill theirselves over bullying many kids have. This is bullshit.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:59pm
  26. what? bullying is ever an act of abuse and sometimes also a misdemeneanor crime. And it is reguardless to the sexual orientation of victims. Praise these act is irresponsible, praise them as “healthy” when are against lgbt younth is hateful and maybe is more than an opinion free opinion, is an istigation to crimes

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:00pm
  27. Sad how People can be so ignorant

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:01pm
  28. Do the world a favor, put your bottom lip over your face and swallow.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:01pm
  29. Be a parent of a gay son who has been humiliated, brutalized, mocked, tormented, and RAPED by heterosexual men and tell me how healthy that is!!!!!!!! A son who is brilliant, compassionate, well-educated (MBA), and talented — he could teach a lot to Swier…..

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:05pm
  30. Excuse me while I throw up… I never dealt with bullying for being bi or trans overtly yet but I have been bullied in general. Saying bullying in general is peer pressure is insulting let alone homophobic and transphobic bullying that leads to suicide.

When that sort of behavior is leading to higher rates of people dying by killing themselves… I believe there is something wrong with the “peer pressure”.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:36pm
  31. Well, he makes me real sick… I was bullyied myself when I was a teen and it ain’t a healthy issue. Now, gay people should have more respect. Sure, they have a different sexual orientation, but they’re people, man! P-E-O-P-L-E!!! I’m Biker-X, and I shall fight for the rights of gay people becaue they are really COOL people!!! Gee, I said PEOPLE a lot! It sounds COOL!!! Tea Party scum like him should be molested, not them…

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 4:45pm
  32. This guy cannot be for real. That’s your Tea Party folks. Us decent Republicans need to band together and stop this nonsense!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 4:56pm
  33. what else would you expect a bully to say?

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 5:26pm
  34. From what i’ve seen of TP’ers they have a fair number of racists, homophobes, antisemites and just plain mean people among them. I can’t imagine why anyone would be associated with them.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 5:34pm
  35. Excuse me, Anthony Weiner was forced to resign just because he modeled his dick over the internet, and this asshole who condones bullying as nothing more than peer pressure wasn’t? There is something seriously wrong with this country!

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 7:44pm
  36. This is just another totally insane idiot.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 8:23pm
  37. Then you won’t mind being harassed, either, Swier.
    That said, do US ALL a favor, you pecker gnat; put a Glock in your mouth, and pull the trigger. Do it on TV, too, so I can replay it 1,000 times.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 8:31pm
  38. Response from Klan leaders all across the nation: “What he said …”

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 9:17pm
  39. The amount of hatred in the world appalls me.

There are more sociopaths than one would ever have imagined… people without empathy who seem drawn to the (R), to this twisted Christianity they profess (wth is a ‘muscular Jesus’ anyway?!?) and to their smug, self-satisfied judgment?

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 9:53pm
  40. Oh jesus. If they actually educated kids on homosexuality and such in health classes at school as well as heterosexuality and male/female sex than maybe that would help their AIDs statistics drop a bit.
    this is just so depressing to read. so its ok for people to be bullied to the point of suicide because theyre gay, even though, last time i checked that wasnt really a choice we casually make?
    fuck people like this. im so sick of them.
    i just dont understand the world anymore.

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 10:53pm
  41. Let’s see if bullying people who have grey hair and wear glasses [and I'm in both categories] changes his mind!!!! After all, it’s only normal ‘peer pressure’ !!!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 1:23am
  42. I think Barney Frank should slap him around a lot. It’s healthy as long as you call it bullying. Ass.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 1:32am
  43. Yet more evidence (as if any more were needed) that the Tea Party is a bunch of complete douche-bags, all of whom have the imagination of a fly-swat, the emotional depth of a rain puddle and the subtlety of a high-speed train wreck. Let’s hope they’re heading for one of their own.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 3:55am
  44. In the US, most diagnoses are from ‘male-to-male sexual contact’. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm#exposure

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 7:16am
  45. He should be ashame for not wearing his white sheets before he speaks to the public…the shame!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 7:29am
  46. Where do you get your info? Since when was Wier a “Tea Party Leader”? You’re gravely mistaken on your headline and should be shot for writing for the sake of link bait

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 7:50am
  47. Well let’s see if the fat slob would like it. He looks like he could use a few more pounds to match that two faced attitude. Eat a few more donuts you fat assed piece of shit;-)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 7:55am
  48. Well, isn’t he just a stupid pig. Look at this: “This is not bullying. It is peer pressure and is healthy. There are many bad behaviors such as smoking, under age drinking and drug abuse that are behaviors that cannot be condoned. Homosexuality falls into this category.” This is the first time I’ve ever seen peer pressure called healthy. You know, peer pressure–the thing that leads many young people into smoking, underage drinking, and drug abuse.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 8:10am
  49. Karma will eventually come back to bite this man in the ass. Perhaps it’ll be his grandchild who is the victim of “healthy peer pressure.” It will be a sad day indeed when someone he loves dearly is taunted to the point of suicide.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 8:31am
  50. I went on http://www.pipl.com and found his address and phone number. I then verified it was his via documents, some with pictures, easily found by searching Google on his name and Sarasota, FL. If any of you happen to be in the Sarasota area, perhaps you’d like to stop by and stage a NON-VIOLENT protest. Or maybe a short phone call:

Richard M. Swier
    6718 Paseo Castille, Sarasota, FL 34238-2709
    (941) 923-2541

I can’t confirm this (perhaps somebody else can), but this looks to be his son:

Looks like the apple does not fall far from the tree. ;)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:06am
  51. So does this mean that opening up an extra strength can of whup-ass on this idiot to encourage him not to be an asshat is an acceptable form of healthy peer pressure?

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:14am
  52. Should be shot, huh?

Congrats on your proudly flashing the asshole card!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:17am
  53. He lives in Sarasota, FL. I’m a gay rights activist here, and he has been a thorn in my side for years. I founded a local non-profit called Step Out Sarasota with a the mission of establishing a permanent GLBT Community Center in Sarasota. As you can imagine, we have to deal with his ridiculous neo-Nazi statements on a weekly basis.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:38am
  54. Please do not confuse this man with his son, Rich Swier Jr.

Rich Jr. is a forward thinker, a supporter of Sarasota’s future (gay and straight)

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:39am
  55. Having gone through bullying in high school as a gay male, and worrying about it every day of my life, I am DEEPLY offended by him and people like him! How can you say that it’s healthy to experience that!?

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:49am
  56. Cue the gay hustler that he has had sex with in 3… 2… 1…

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 11:41am
  57. Rich tea party extroadanaire:
    Youre a dumbass. Not sure why people like you pass 5th grade since you all think at a 4th grade level and have absolutely no intelligence whatsoever. No wonder our country fails, it’s political geniouses are really all inept at thinking and intellect and general life. Get the hell out it’s no wonder I want to move to a different country. The politics in this one are ruined. Eff you. I kissed a friggin girl and I liked it. The only bad behavior is yours. Go to hell where u came from.
    Freedom of speech amen.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 12:22pm
  58. @ Alisa Vela
    Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

You bet he would! It is horrific what the religious right is doing to people’s rights!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 12:24pm
  59. HELL NO! Peer pressure my ass! IT’S TORTURE, THAT’S ALL! It needs to be illegal, same as racism or sexism!! NO DIFFERENCE!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 12:28pm
  60. Is this guy just plain stupid? This is how Hitler started after he convinced people he would save the race.
    Lord help us all. Boycott anything and everything he is involved in.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 1:04pm
  61. This is one of the sickest things I’ve ever heard. This guy needs to be put out of our misery. Wonder if he wears a white sheet over his head too?

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 1:15pm
  62. Dude this is so stupid. Who are you to play god and judge what right for people?!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 1:55pm
  63. Got a patio that needs pouring?

This guy is getting his facts from the home of the hanging/flapping chad??? There’s your sign.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 2:03pm
  64. What a douche bag. :mad:

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 2:47pm
  65. This is the 21st century. I expected humankind to be better than this…

Alright, listen. If we want to stop this purely idiotic and deeply ignorant mindset from growing, you HAVE TO VOTE against it. Learn what political figures identify with dumb ideas like this and vote for someone else.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 4:00pm
  66. So he is willing to concede the fact that the majority of teen suicides are a result of gender identity or sexual orientation. It is a known fact that the majority of these poor kids are doing so as a result of brutal and unnecessary bullying. If you add it all up he is basically saying that he is perfectly fine with these kids killing themselves because they are gay and is basically encouraging people into bullying them into this act. Perhaps somebody should kick the shit out of him for “CHOOSING” to be straight.

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 4:09pm
  67. OMG! I try to be very calm about people and their “opinions”, but this is TOO FAR!!! This man is SICK if he truly thinks that it is ok to bully someone for something that one cannot help being. I’m so angry right now that I could scream!!!!…!!! D:< Why the hell is this douchbag in office?! What if kids were bullied to be gay? Would that be "healthy"? I seriously hope this man has a reverse shit and chokes on his own turd!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 4:39pm
  68. so … um… bullying wee christian children (or insert other ‘nonconforming’ group here) would also be just ‘healthy peer pressure’ ?????

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 4:58pm
  69. This guy is an idiot just like the rest of the Tea Party, and Christian Right. Infact he has no idea what God or America is about!

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 5:48pm
  70. To:

Lori White
    Superintendent
    Sarasota County Schools

Superintendent White:

I am a journalist. My editor at http://www.TheNewCivilRightsMovement.com is a co-recipient of this e-mail.

This is to express profound concern over statements made by former Sarasota Schools Board Member Dr.Richard Swier to the effect that anti-LGBT bullying is “good peer pressure.”

Swier’s comments are reported here:

Swier himself can be found defending his dangerous and obnoxious opinions here:

Swier states in his bio at this link that he served on the Sarasota Schools Board for four years:

This is to request a reassurance from you that you do everything in your power to make the Sarasota Schools safe for LGBT students.

I plan to involve other journalists and activists in communicating with LGBT students in Sarasota, so that they will know that if you do not adequately provide for their rights and safety, pressure from outside will be brought on you until you do.

Swier’s remarks are so disturbing that, combined with his representation that he formerly served on the Sarasota Schools Board, I felt this request for a reassurance from you was warranted.

Many kind thanks for your attention to this matter,

Scott Rose

Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 8:57pm
  71. Doesn’t surprise me the Tea Party is fairly insane on every single issue why not this one. This is what we get for closing so many state run mental hospitals.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:32am
  72. I kissed a girl and liked it too!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:16am
  73. “Homosexuality is simply bad behavior…”

Who died and made Rich Swier the Judge of Everything? One may not simply assert that something is bad or good without backing up that statement, even if it’s a sincerely held religious belief, and ESPECIALLY when you’re trying to tell others what they may and may not do.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:46am
  74. Everything about this article is not-okay (.com). Who is this Rich Sweir and what exactly does a activist with the Tea Party Nation do besides make such hurtful comments like those in this article? Who is he to say what defines “bad behavior”? Self-promotion alert: I have a blog called not-okay.com which was created to discuss issues such as these and all of the other crazy realities we see all around us. Would love it if you weighed in with your thoughts on this matter and others!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 3:39pm
  75. NO! These fools should absolutely be allowed to say their piece in public. One, we have freedom of speech in this country, even for fools such as this, and two, better the enemy you can see and defend against than the silent false “friend”.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:27pm
  76. According to this “persons”(Swier) ideas, Marcinas comment was NOT bullying. It was healthy peer pressure. LOL.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 6:26pm
  77. “In Sarasota County over 70% of all HIV/AIDS cases are due to male sex with males.”

And how much is caused by lesbians? Almost none, actually. People go on about homosexuals being full of disease while ignoring that lesbians carry by far the least disease among the general population, much less than straight people.

So, by Mr. Swier’s logic, bullying gay men is healthy peer pressure, but I suppose bullying lesbians should be bad? Oh wait, Mr. Swier isn’t using logic at all, just hate. Fuck him.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:04pm
  78. Really sick of all the supidity and ignorance but in these times we have to remember to show just how intelligent we can be as we are learning one of the hardest lessons in life “tolerance”. However I would like to hear how he felt after being picked on, beaten, raped and bullied like the innocent youth of the LGBT community…..

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:52pm
  79. So, if I begin “exerting peer pressure” on the womanizers, on the straight kids, on the Christians, that’s perfectly acceptable? Sweet.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:59pm
  80. “Healthy peer pressure.” You are wrong sir. There isn’t anything healthy about it. Healthy=living, and suicide= death. Therefor suicide isn’t healthy!!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 9:09pm
  81. Peer pressure is healthy? Since when?
    And whilst we’re on the topic, as a girl who was bullied for her entire high school life, and then some, I can assure you there was nothing healthy about it. No-one wants their kid to end up like me. I don’t want to be me.

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 10:56pm
  82. Youd think theyd be worried about something more..? Serious!!! Help the starving children for christ sakes, theyve been starvn forever!!! how many more kids do you got left till this world is ridden of them damn abominations!!! But if this world is gonna be Gay vs straight then.. BRING IT ON!!

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:04pm
  83. I am tempted to start a worldwide rally to feed these homophobic ppl their own medicine.. How about them having a taste of it?

To be stripped and told that you are not the gender you identify as? To subject you to corrective rape because of who you love? To bully and humiliate you and drive you to a suicidal point because you don’t conform to our norm? To drag you by your sex organ and bashed and stomped at and left hanging in a fence to die because we find you disgusting?

You are lucky Dear Asshole, as you are not subjected to homophobic / heterosexual bashing.. because, unlike you, we have a heart.. and a fabulous rainbow heart it is..

Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:18pm
  84. This idiot should get a clue. I have no patients for scum like him. Mr. Swier, you are TRASH!

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 6:46am
  85. What a load of shit!! I keep thinking the world will be better when dinosaurs like this guy & his generation are gone. But unfortunately I’m reminded that bigots breed bigots. At least I know I’m doing what I can to continue giving positive support. I’m still holding out hope for our youth.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 7:02am
  86. Jesse,
    Can you forward us his email address so we can express our distain for his completely uninformed attitude?

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 7:06am
  87. I grew up defending my Mentally Handicapped brother from Maggots like this. I would take great pleasure in showing him what bullying and peer pressure are like. I can guarantee that he would be living on soup through a straw for a long time. Disgusting POS…

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 9:51am
  88. Dangerous psycho bastard. Why isnt he in a mental institution where he belongs?

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 1:44pm
  89. “There are many bad behaviors such as smoking, under age drinking and drug abuse that are behaviors that cannot be condoned.”

No one who has kids in school could possibly listen to that and believe this man is living in the same country as the rest of us. People are not driven to suicide by peer pressure to NOT drink, NOT do drugs, and NOT to smoke.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 4:12pm
  90. I hope chokes to death on his underbitten dentures.

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2011 at 10:14pm
  91. THIS GUY IS THE POSTER CHILD FOR INBRED DIPSHIT !!!

Posted on Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 8:21am
  92. People who make comments like his are usually those who were bullies when they were young (and still are in his case) and are trying to justify the fact that they were brutes. Next he will be trying to justifying the hatred of others for any reason he wishes.

Posted on Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 1:37pm
  93. May all of his grandkids be gay or lesbian and may they get bullied and SEE how he responds then….he is such a prick whos so PIOUS like SARAH PALIN the Tea PARTY Queen he would probably deny that was his grandchild however…most of these guys who adamantly hate gays/lesbians usually are in the closet anyway like Senator Ashburn in cali.

Posted on Saturday, July 2, 2011 at 8:38pm
  94. Illogical. His only justification is that the majority of HIV/AIDS cases in his county are gay men. What about lesbians? This is the same logic as the objections surrounding DADT. All the talk about showering together centered around men. And, the majority of the 30 million HIV/AIDS cases globally are from heterosexual sex. So if his argument is that being gay is “bad behavior” because of HIV transmission, then heterosexual behavior is bad behavior, too. If you are follow his argument logically, lesbians have the best “behavior” of anyone.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 9:17am
  95. Ah, male youth bonding, “Deliverance”-style. Someone should give Rich Swier a chicken-wire canoe with a tea-spoon for a paddle.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 10:46am
  96. Yea this is about as healthy as when there was ”pure pressure” to go to different restaurant or drink out of a different water fountain because of your skin color was different.Some things are more then a silly little hobby. They are a part of you and cannot and should not be changed.He loves to jump to the fact that gay men have been diagnosed with Aids as if thats a sign its all their foult.I just read something in the news paper about how many straight teenagers have been diagnosed with HIV in my city,quite a few.But of course no one needs to stop being straight..no way.Its only gays that need to give up their silly little game.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 11:00am
  97. Dude you should really watch what you say publicly.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 1:01pm
  98. Wait, wait, wait! Before we condemn him to being an idiot (and what ever else you wish to call him)lets go with a better solution. LETS BULLY HIM!!!! After all it is “healthy peer pressure” so we should be able to do this to him NONE STOP. Someone find his email, that guy that wanted to shit on his lawn you have my support, he can give him enough “healthy peer pressure” until he sees the truth. And before anyone ask I have been bullied since I was 6.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 2:28pm
  99. These types of ignorant, ranting, white, homophobes continue to manipulate people. He is a disgusting and ignorant person. How dare he. His rants are only reflective of the homophobic ideas that he represents. I hope his god finds room in his many mansions for his ignorance!

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 5:03pm
  100. I live in Sarasota and have dealt with this ass for years. Please, please please do NOT confuse his son with him. His son is normal and a supporter of the LGBT community. Also, he never served on the School Board, he served on a committee for the School Board. He ran for the School Board and lost. I am grateful that he wrote this piece because there are some people here in Sarasota who think he is credible. He just killed that and hopefully now people will see him for who he really is.

Posted on Sunday, July 3, 2011 at 8:36pm
  101. When I was in my late teens I worked with a young gay man who was “peer pressured” to cast his eye out as it has offended him he did it with a red hot poker. He was praised by his Plymouth Brethren pastor for trying to rid himself of his sin that was in 1969 – how little has changed for some of these political and religious bigots.

Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 at 3:00am
  102. “So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another.” (Romans 14:1-13)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_any_Bible_verses_concerning_not_judging_others#ixzz1RB69fGCy

Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 at 3:30pm
  103. Let him talk. Freedom of speech. Let him make a fool of himself. He has a point but so did Jesus. Love ye one another as I have loved you. and I bet he professes being a Christian.

Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 8:16am
  104. I hope he’s held responsible for all the dead and abused children at his feet … but I’m not holding my breath. It’s insane how disgustingly inhuman people can be.

Posted on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 9:53am
  105. if they all had half a brain they could be dangerous to others as well to them selfs, if no one gave them air or newspaper time people like them wouldn’t talk from there ass cause there mouth know better, so don’t give them the time of day anyone

Posted on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 8:04am
  106. So what? HIV is contracted through unsafe sex. Identifying a correlation between male-to-male sexual activity and citing that as a cause of HIV is like identifying a correlation between little paper cups that say “STARBUCKS” and citing either paper cups or the printed word “STARBUCKS” as causing beverages to be hot.

Posted on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 10:01pm
  107. ^This was in response to Jeffrey’s first post.

Posted on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 10:02pm
  108. Because he wants people like us to die :(. So much reckless hate happens because of people like him. I try not to hate homophobes because it would make me no better than them. Hopefully they will come to terms that what they are doing is wrong instead of tormenting people like us being a victim of bullying so intense that a gun was pressed against my head. The effects of it has still traumatized me to this day.

Posted on Friday, July 8, 2011 at 10:55am
  109. This is absolutely full of crap. Bullshit!!!! If its okay, can someone please get rid of these tea party and republican a-holes, I think I’m going to puke.

Posted on Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 9:55am
  110. Bigotry at it finest level. This is the reason that violence exist, because of bigots just like him. Ugh, makes me sick.

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 9:36am
  111. douche bag! He will be shot soon enough with an attitude like that! enough said,

Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 9:57am
  112. Is he serious ? How he can even dare to say something like that that kind of bullying is causing suicides of innocent kids that just have a different sexual orientation than the heterosexual one but they are human beings like the straights and they deserve the same respect and consideration! God homophobic people are sick! he should go to the psychiatric that is healthy not bullying glbti people !

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 7:54pm
  113. One day every man and woman will have to go before their maker and account for their lives. My hope is that this man SOMEHOW sees the hate inside himself and is disgusted by it. Granted, the chances of this happening are slim to none, but I can only pray.

While part of me says “kick him in the balls repeatedly and say you were making him a tougher man”….I know the only thing I can really do is pity him for his insane ignorance and hope he finds help along the way.

So, Swier…for your son’s sake, this genderqueer dyke hopes you find help and soon because currently you are a blight on humanity and God will punish you one day for your hateful trespasses. God punishes those who cause pain and abuse onto his children. Remember that.

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 5:02pm
  114. I’m not a homosexual, and I’m not a homophobe. I’m a married man with four children, and in my youth I experienced bullying for other reasons. I guess, luckily for me that wasn’t “healthy peer pressure”. I believe every man and woman has a right to be the person they choose to be, and I believe it is our government’s job to ensure we are able to do this. It is also our right to voice our opinions on anything and everything, and it is also our government’s job to ensure we are able to do this.

Now I do not condone Mr. Swier’s comments, and I feel they are rude and hurtful, but I cannot deny he has the right to voice his own opinion. Dropping one on his lawn isn’t going to change his mind, and bullying him or beating him up won’t make a difference. This is the man’s opinion, and he is blinded by a hatred that this country was built on, Christianity. For a faith that talks about LOVE and ACCEPTANCE, they do a lot of hateful things too.

It is the job of everyone offended by this man’s comments, and the comments of others like him to be the bigger men, women and in-betweens. Comments may be hurtful, but if you ignore them they have no power. The physical stuff however needs to be stopped and strictly enforced. The people here who have mentioned such heinous things as rape being committed to a member of the LGBT Community needs to stop. To quote a line from Matthew McConahey(sp?) in A Time to Kill “Now imagine that victim was straight”.

Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 6:54pm
  115. All of you guys sharing nasty comments about this man are just as big of assholes. Look at the way that you’re responding to him! If you were really so much better than him, then you wouldn’t be criticizing him the way you are. I mean, if you say,

“You are SO wrong for saying that someone is wrong!”

Well then what the hell do you think you’re doing? If you are SO bent on everyone being entitled to their own beliefs, then why in the world are you saying such terrible things about someone whose belief is that that mentality is wrong?

It’s because you don’t actually follow what you claim to believe in – because that mentality is contradictory.

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 10:32pm
  116. This man is a sadistic thundering loony. Please know that not all Christians think like this. (In this case, I’m gonna use quotation marks around “Christian” when it comes to this guy, as he’s flying in the face of all Christ taught. I’m a committed Christian and I am PRO EQUALITY. I’m in a growing minority. I know many fine gay people who act more Christian than many “Christians” themselves.

Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 12:56pm
  117. Obscene man. Truly a rotten and dangerous individual. Thanks for alerting us to this devil wrapped in a flag. http://wp.me/pPwsZ-6i5

Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 9:44am
  118. Lol someone really needs to punch this mother fucker on the face. See how he likes it. =/ What’s the FUCKING problem with being gay?! It’s still love goddamn! Their still people HUMAN! They just like people of their same sex. Is that really THAT wrong that some jerk off has to go around and say bullying gays is “healthy peer pressure” I have gay friends and I would NEVER bully them because my gay friends are like my brothers and they understand me more than my own mother and their always there for me. This post is just retarded… I can’t even bare to read it but from the little piece I’ve read and the title…I already know what’s gonna be said… Just pathetic and weak. NO JOKE, I’d prefer to take a bullet for one of my gay friends than bully them or beat them up.

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 at 9:58am