California Assembly advances ‘Seth’s Law,’ aimed at reducing anti-gay bullying

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The California state Assembly on Wednesday approved “Seth’s Law,” a new anti-bullying measure aimed at reducing bullying of LGBT teens.

The bill, introduced by openly gay Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), is named in honor of Seth Walsh, a 13-year-old gay teen who committed suicide last year after enduring year of bullying due to his sexual orientation.

The measure, which passed the lower house 44-17 and now heads to the Senate for approval, is aimed at giving public schools the tools to prevent and address bullying through mandatory policies and systems that would help discourage harassment and track incidents when they do occur.

Among its provisions, AB9 would require all California school districts to implement updated anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies and programs that take into account sexual orientation and gender identity as well as race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, disability and religion.

The Assembly also approved another anti-bullying measure Wednesday — AB620 is aimed at curbing harassment on college campuses, and would require public colleges and universities to designate a point person to deal with lLGBT issues on each campus, and adopt and publish policies on harassment and bullying.

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: California

1. Awesome R.I.P Seth!! This is for you!!!

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 1:53pm
  2. its upsetting to know that someone has to take there own life for people to realise the effects werds have on someone..sticks and stones may break my bones but words are whats going to kill me!

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 6:27pm
  3. i like the fact they’re finnaly doing it, but dislike the reason they did it :(

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 6:32pm
  4. How about next time we get a law like this set up BEFORE an innocent teenager kills themself for being who they are?

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 6:38pm
  5. What happened was a tragedy my love and dedication for equality is with the family and all of the familys that have suffered a loss due to the crule ways of humans.

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 6:40pm
  6. This makes me cry.

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 7:09pm
  7. It’s about time that something was being done to address this awful crime….being commited against youths of all different sexual identities. But mostly for folks like Seth !!Who felt that there was no other way out except thru suicide. My heart still aches because of what this sweet little child did to himself….and to his family and friends, who are now left behind to deal with this tragedy.RIP dear Seth….you have touched my heart in ways I never expected it would.My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, always.

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 7:29pm
  8. Make it a law, make sure the people, teachers, parents, families and school mates, know it, value it and that people speak up, speak out and stop the bullying and violence… Laws only work if they are followed and respected…. Seth didn’t feel that, so in his honor “make it happen” …. No one, gay, fat, ginger, glasses wearing, black, non jock, nerd, geek, cheerleader, glee club member…. All deserve a great school life… My god it’s hard enough with out the drama…. Seth I value your memory and I will strive to ensure others do too….

Posted on Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 10:04pm
  9. Fuck bullying we gotta hate them we should be happy who we are that we are different and also I am happy that i am bisexual <3

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 3:14am
  10. When I first read this story about him, I wanted to cry. I hope they can finally at least try to put an end to the bullying. :/ Poor kid..

Posted on Friday, June 3, 2011 at 1:15pm