TIME: Chris Colfer among ‘100 most influential’ people in the world

Friday, April 22, 2011

TIME magazine on Thursday revealed the TIME 100, the magazine’s eighth annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. Featured in this year’s list is out actor and singer Chris Colfer.

Dianna Agron writes about Colfer saying, “Chris, 20, lives by extreme truth, speaking out against the epidemic of bullying that he, too, faced in high school. The honesty that he in­fuses into his “Glee” character, Kurt, leaves you reeling.”

“[The TIME 100] are artists and activists, reformers and researchers, heads of state and captains of industry. Their ideas spark dialogue and dissent and sometimes even revolution.” writes Assistant Managing Editor Radhika Jones.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Arts & Entertainment

1. not a big ‘glee’ fan, BUT what i love is the positive portrayal of the GLTB community that this show has created-kudos!!! and hats off to you chris!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 12:34am
  2. not a big ‘glee’ fan, BUT what i love is the positive portrayal of the GLTB community that this show has created-kudos!!! and hats off to you chris!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 12:34am
  3. How is he influential? this is totally opinionated.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:04am
  4. Influential to the arts and gay community geez…

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:12am
  5. The thing I didn’t like about his performance in glee is that his character seemed to fall right into the stereotypical “femme gay boy” pit. I’m not sure if it was more for humor, or if they just didn’t know how else to make it apparent that he was gay. I’m kinda disappointed.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:36am
  6. The thing I didn’t like about his performance in glee is that his character seemed to fall right into the stereotypical “femme gay boy” pit. I’m not sure if it was more for humor, or if they just didn’t know how else to make it apparent that he was gay. I’m kinda disappointed.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:36am
  7. As a gay teenager I find Chris’s role as Kurt highly relatable, and I can definitely say that because of him, homosexuality is more accepted in my school because people see it on TV in a positive manner, not a negative one. They get to see love between two men, which

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:39am
  8. As a gay teenager I find Chris’s role as Kurt highly relatable, and I can definitely say that because of him, homosexuality is more accepted in my school because people see it on TV in a positive manner, not a negative one. They get to see love between two men, which

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:39am
  9. ** lots of churches say isn’t possible.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:39am
  10. ** lots of churches say isn’t possible.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:39am
  11. I am so proud of Chris for getting to this stage of his carreer. I mean, acting in Glee, touring with Glee in concert, writing a movie and TV series, and then starring in a big movie at the end of the tour. He is definitely a great role model, and my new idol.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 1:41am
  12. I love Chris Colfer on Glee. When I was growing up we didnt have that many out heros to look up to. Its cool that kids look up to Kurt.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 3:15am
  13. No disrespect to Chris, but influential? I doubt anyone in……Nepal has heard of the guy. Let’s not let the Glee phenom get out of perspective. Great show to be sure, but influential as a whole, prove that to me.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 4:32am
  14. No disrespect to Chris, but influential? I doubt anyone in……Nepal has heard of the guy. Let’s not let the Glee phenom get out of perspective. Great show to be sure, but influential as a whole, prove that to me.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 4:32am
  15. Influential doesn’t have to mean all over the world. This may sound a little… Untrue, but until Glee came on I was so depressed I was ready to kill myself. As a gay teen I was convinced no one would accept me. After Chris’ performance I had the confidence to come out, and my life has improved in countless ways because of it. So maybe Glee hasn’t affected 3rd world countries, or even outside the USA, but I know that in a way, Chris saved my life and brought LBGT to my school! Thank you Chris!!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 5:20am
  16. Influential doesn’t have to mean all over the world. This may sound a little… Untrue, but until Glee came on I was so depressed I was ready to kill myself. As a gay teen I was convinced no one would accept me. After Chris’ performance I had the confidence to come out, and my life has improved in countless ways because of it. So maybe Glee hasn’t affected 3rd world countries, or even outside the USA, but I know that in a way, Chris saved my life and brought LBGT to my school! Thank you Chris!!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 5:20am
  17. I think this is just a tad out of perspective. ‘In the world,’ I think, does suggest a higher degree of importance than appearing on a television show whose *main* demographic is screaming girls. I agree with Colleen. There are many people No disrespect to him, as I’m sure he works very hard, but I think his supposed ‘influence’ definitely isn’t in the realm of ‘in the world.’ If you’re looking for influential people in the LGBT community, I say look for someone who does more than make a few fangirls giddy. And before you freak out at me for undermining his influence on YOU–that’s all well and good, and I’m happy for you. But that doesn’t earn him a spot like this more than it should for Mary Poppins for cheering some people up on a bad day.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 5:57am
  18. I think this is just a tad out of perspective. ‘In the world,’ I think, does suggest a higher degree of importance than appearing on a television show whose *main* demographic is screaming girls. I agree with Colleen. There are many people No disrespect to him, as I’m sure he works very hard, but I think his supposed ‘influence’ definitely isn’t in the realm of ‘in the world.’ If you’re looking for influential people in the LGBT community, I say look for someone who does more than make a few fangirls giddy. And before you freak out at me for undermining his influence on YOU–that’s all well and good, and I’m happy for you. But that doesn’t earn him a spot like this more than it should for Mary Poppins for cheering some people up on a bad day.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 5:57am
  19. Screaming girls?-You are the epitome of repression and ignorance!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 7:09am
  20. Desiree- repression and ignorance? That’s doubtful. I’m a gay teenager who’s actively involved in the LGBT movement–there are so many more people deserving of such a list. I’m not ignorant of anything.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 7:21am
  21. Desiree- repression and ignorance? That’s doubtful. I’m a gay teenager who’s actively involved in the LGBT movement–there are so many more people deserving of such a list. I’m not ignorant of anything.

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 7:21am
  22. nice…keep ´t that way!

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 8:42am
  23. Still repressive-despite involvement for the cause.

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 at 6:46pm
  24. I think being a positive role model for young people definitely deserves kudos. The way that this popular show is making being gay or just questioning your sexuality more “normalized” for mainstream America is a good thing. The less people are threatened, the more they will learn to trust and be comfortable with people who are not just like themselves. Don’t denigrate his contribution. Perhaps it isn’t Earth-shaking, but little changes slowly make a big difference.

Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 at 6:24pm
  25. CHRIS COLFER SAVED ME

Posted on Monday, July 4, 2011 at 9:12pm
  26. Well I would like to say that I am a gay 13 year old, and I was extremely depressed about it, and then my true soul sister told me about glee, and how everything worked out for him. I was days away from killing myself, and kurt has saved my life. To those of you who say he isn’t important, that he is only supported by screaming fangirls, I think that you saying that is like saying he didn’t save lives, just like the people you think should have replaced him

Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 8:54pm