Indiana state Senate votes to ban same-sex marriage and civil unions

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Indiana state Senate on Tuesday approved a proposed constitutional amendment that would ban both gay marriage as well as civil unions.

According to the bill, “only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized.”

The second sentence effectively would ban legislators from enacting civil unions in the future.

The Indy Star reports:

Democratic Sen. Tim Lanane of Anderson argued that attitudes toward same-sex marriages are rapidly changing and the amendment would make it difficult for future changes in state law.

Indiana Republican legislators are worried that the same thing will happen in their state as it did in Iowa, where in 2009, the state Supreme Court overturned the law banning same-sex marriage.

The Senate vote was 40-10. The Indiana House has already approved the measure.

The good news is that Indiana law requires that the General Assembly passes the measure again in 2013 or 2014, and then approved by voters (in 2014) before the state constitution can be amended.

Indiana has two years to get the right people in office.

Archives: , ,

Filed under: Indiana

1. Figures.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:25pm
  2. terrible

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:26pm
  3. Big suprise.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:26pm
  4. Our neighbors in Canada are so much wiser!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:26pm
  5. This is such bullshit! The Dems just got back, and this is the first damn thing they do? I swear, dumbshit politicians!!! Indiana is 30 years behind the rest of the world, and I can say that I’m definitely NOT proud to be from this ignorant corndick state.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:30pm
  6. This is such bullshit! The Dems just got back, and this is the first damn thing they do? I swear, dumbshit politicians!!! Indiana is 30 years behind the rest of the world, and I can say that I’m definitely NOT proud to be from this ignorant corndick state.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:30pm
  7. I want to know how to get involved in this fight. Any groups already formed? I livin in indiana and we have to start the fight now!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:31pm
  8. So really??? Did I do something horrible to you guys??? If all the Phobes in this country put half of their negative energy into committing acts of kindness and compassion, what a wonderful world this would be~~~~~

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:33pm
  9. A constitutional amendment?? Oh God, this better not spread to the rest of the country!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:34pm
  10. this so wrong and such bullshit.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:36pm
  11. can u say KKk State?

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:39pm
  12. Because we don’t have more things to worry about like feeding the hungry or providing shelter for the homeless. Its so much smarter to spend our tax dollars on banning civil unions and same-sex marriages! PLEASE!!! We are tax payers too, so its our money working against us as well! How JUST is that?! We contribute to society. We don’t ask for anything special… just EQUALITY! Grow up America!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:43pm
  13. Because we don’t have more things to worry about like feeding the hungry or providing shelter for the homeless. Its so much smarter to spend our tax dollars on banning civil unions and same-sex marriages! PLEASE!!! We are tax payers too, so its our money working against us as well! How JUST is that?! We contribute to society. We don’t ask for anything special… just EQUALITY! Grow up America!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:43pm
  14. So happy that my partner and I are moving from IN to Cali in three months. It’s nice to welcome. Oh yea…FU€K ¥OU, Indiana!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:46pm
  15. So happy that my partner and I are moving from IN to Cali in three months. It’s nice to welcome. Oh yea…FU€K ¥OU, Indiana!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:46pm
  16. Im OVER being quiet.
    Im OVER not being free to live my life.
    Mind your own bussiness! Im ready to get loud.. I may only be 20 but i need to ind a way to make my vouce heard… Because it is a loud one. I think that if we all stood up, WE wouldnt be stopped.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:48pm
  17. fuck these indiana wtf ban that you btchess

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:52pm
  18. Why the hell would four people like this? I bet they’re just trolling…There’s nothing to “Like” about this.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:05pm
  19. Why the hell would four people like this? I bet they’re just trolling…There’s nothing to “Like” about this.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:05pm
  20. Boycott Indiana! Not that I can think of why anyone would want to go there anyway.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:28pm
  21. Shame on Indiana.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:52pm
  22. Fuck you Indiana!!! No wonder I never visited nor ever will !!!! Because of all u gun toting redneck ass backwards assholes out there.GAY marriage is coming, it’s going to happen Why??? Because it’s the right thing to do we are people flesh and blood just like you. AMERICA we have got to get over ourselves you do not have the right to deny me my rights!!!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:55pm
  23. Fuck you Indiana!!! No wonder I never visited nor ever will !!!! Because of all u gun toting redneck ass backwards assholes out there.GAY marriage is coming, it’s going to happen Why??? Because it’s the right thing to do we are people flesh and blood just like you. AMERICA we have got to get over ourselves you do not have the right to deny me my rights!!!!!!!!

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 5:55pm
  24. Don’t give up hope guys. We Are Going To Win. Don’t forget.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 6:10pm
  25. Don’t give up hope guys. We Are Going To Win. Don’t forget.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 6:10pm
  26. Glad I’m Canadian!!! I can live freely and happily with my gf.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 9:42pm
  27. Glad I’m Canadian!!! I can live freely and happily with my gf.

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 9:42pm
  28. godmademegay.com

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 11:43pm
  29. When I heard about this, it reminded me that in the USA the different states are really like living in different countries. I’m glad I live in NJ. The Indiana state Senate one day will look back and be embarrassed. Fucking dorks.

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 7:24pm
  30. I love how the state has stepped in to ban civil unions. They say marriage is between a man and a women because that is what the Bible says, but where does it define a civil union. Also when I look for a definition I never use a religious book to define a term. Also if a state rep. can make laws based on the Bible’s definition of a term is that not infringing upon my 1st Amendment rights by forcing someone else’s religious beliefs upon me. What if a made a religion that defines a marriage as a union between two people no matter what gender then could the great state of Indiana tell me, a citizen of this state that I can not practice every aspect of my religion. Oh, I almost forgot where in the Constitution does it give law makers the right to discriminate against its own people. Yes, that is right it does not say this once the only reasoning they have is because that is not how God intended it to be.

Posted on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 6:36pm
  31. “Current state law prohibits gay marriages. Amendment sponsor Sen. Dennis Kruse of Auburn says the measure would provide maximum protection for the basic family unit of society.”

How does this protect a family unit? I think this only stops the state from recognizing more family units. Who defines a family unit? Is it not the family itself that defines a family unit, not the state.

I am glad I live in the district represented by Sen. Tim Lanane. Sen. Lanae has my vote!

Posted on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 6:42pm