Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir: I don’t celebrate being gay

Monday, January 10, 2011

“I was born a white male, a white gay male, and I don’t celebrate being white or male, so why should I celebrate being gay?”

U.S. figure skating champion Johnny Weir confirmed to the world that he’s a gay man in his just-released autobiography, “Welcome to My World.”

“I know people who have been activists for years and have worked so hard and tirelessly, and they have definitely wanted me to be an activist,” said Weir, appearing on NBC’s “Today Show.” “But I think the best way I can be an activist is to live my life, and not make that the main thing that is Johnny Weir. I’m much more than just a gay man.”

Watch the “Today Show” interview here:

In his memoir, Weir focuses more on his professional skating career versus growing up gay.

“I’m not ashamed to be me,” he wrote in the book. “More than anyone else I know, I love my life and accept myself. What’s wrong with being unique? I am proud of everything that I am and will become.”

Archives: , , , , , ,

Filed under: LGBTQ Life

1. I do celebrate on being a gay Hispanic (Mexican) male! I’m prideful of who I am ;)

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:23pm
  2. Finally someone who shares my view :]

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:24pm
  3. i don’t know why people take pride in things they can’t help and didn’t ask for…i don’t take pride in my sexual orientation either.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:26pm
  4. Being gay isn’t something you should wish on someone. I’m gay. I don’t feel like it’s a gift. It’s a curse. Why would you want anyone to be hated so deeply for something they have no control over. “It gets better.” Yeah, well it doesn’t start out that great…

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:28pm
  5. I am proud of me for finally having the courage to be who I trulu am,I felt smothered for years.I am a proud lesbian!

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:29pm
  6. Gay figure skater?
    Who would’ve thought it.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:30pm
  7. Nicely said, Karen. Being gay is in no way a curse. That person obviously hasn’t accepted herself.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:31pm
  8. Johnny weir is dumb. We should all celebrate and be proud of who we are. And why the fuck did he feel the need to “come out”? It was obvious to begin with!

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:35pm
  9. If I woke up one day and was suddenly straight I would cry. I am so proud of of being a lesbian…I would have it no other way. It is not always easy, but I get to see the world in a way that many others do not and it makes me a stronger person. I get to be apart of something special..something worth fighting for. What we are fighting for now with LGBT rights will one day be in high school text books and I will get to say that I was apart of it. I love being a lesbian and I celebrate it all the time…. being part of the LGBT community and being a lesbian has helped teach me how to love myself exactly as I am..and I will be forever grateful for that:)

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:35pm
  10. I don’t think it’s a curse per say but I also don’t understand why we don’t have straight pride since we have gay pride yah know? You should be proud of you not your orientation or race or whatever

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:37pm
  11. Luv that you are all who you are and accept it. Luv the beautiful and different ppl in our world. Without our differences, we wld be living in a boring life.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:39pm
  12. I understand his point, that as being gay is a biological function it is no more unusual than having blues eyes where eyes are predominantly brown. However at the moment we are a point in history in which the gay community has no autonomy and we need the support of the masses. He should celebrate all aspects of himself simply to bring positive attention to the community at large because to say he does not celebrate his sexuality actually separates it from his identity and undermines his position. Rock on Weir we know your trying to do good by all of us.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:39pm
  13. it’s not about saying “woo hoo I’m gay”. It’s about saying, “I’m gay” loud enough and often enough to shake people into seeing we are all equal. Weir thinks that in blending in he is setting an example. He is wrong. In blending in, he is showing the world that gays are happy with what they have and don’t need equal rights. Yes, it SHOULD be a world where you don’t have to show the world how great it is to be gay, unfortunately we still have to prove that it’s okay, and so we HAVE to celebrate and be proud. Like, what if every black person had said “I’m not going to celebrate being black. I’m just going to try and blend in as who I am” What if no one was an activist? What if no one fought? No, this Johnny guy is as much a part of the problem as any bigot. I’m so unimpressed by him.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:44pm
  14. Celebrate being a decent human being. Gay, straight, bi, trans,
    Be kind.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:45pm
  15. I am a gay male and proud of who I am it doesnt define me as a human being nor would I wish it on anyone either. Its neither a gift or a curse it simply is what it is and what you make it be,no one or anything can make you feel a certain way you do that all on your own . Own who you are and you will be happy. Just because someone “hates” who you are doesnt mean you have to give them the right to put you down, they might not like the fact that your gay that doesnt mean they dont like you….and yes there is a difference, you cant control being gay but you can control how percieves you as a person gay or not ….

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:47pm
  16. All I know is that if I wasn’t who I am, I wouldn’t of met amazing people. I wouldn’t of met my boyfriend, my friends, I wouldn’t be the same, live the same amazing life I live. Of course I have all the support from my family, because they know being gay is not an issue, I’m still a human being, and taking pride of yourself is part of being human.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:48pm
  17. You can be gay and proud of who you are. It’s a gift. People only hate us because they don’t understand and are afraid of us. If someone hates you for who you are, then they don’t deserve you. You don’t have to celebrate it or make a big deal. Just accept it and live your life like everyone else.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:56pm
  18. Being touched as a child or trauma from some other stuff can confuse someone of there orientation that’s why I consider it a curse. I still haven’t found if I should be with a guy or a girl

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 8:59pm
  19. I’ve completely accepted myself. I really love the Lgbt community, and all the people I’ve met. I’m an activist, and I celebrate the person I am. But I do not want to be defined by my sexual preference, in the same way I don’t want people to judge me by my gender. Both are an important part of me, but it’s not all of me. And I would much rather someone judge me on what I say and do, than judge me on somthing I have no control over.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:02pm
  20. We celebrate LGBT Pride because throughout history and of course today we have been continuously oppressed! Heterosexuality is seen as the norm, it is the dominant discourse in todays society and “Straight Pride” is every day. When you walk down the street holding the hand of your opposite-gender partner without being stared at or harassed, when you go to the movies and see yourself reflected in the relationships that are portrayed, that is your straight pride. When I do that with my same- gender partner, men shout at me from cars asking if i want to do sexual things with them. Being proud is a means of resistance against oppression ..against people trying to make me believe that being who I am..that being a lesbian is wrong because it isn’t. The best revenge against oppressors is living well, being happy and refusing to let people tell me that who i am is wrong.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:03pm
  21. Umm, he is pretty much a FAIL. If you wear crazy GaGa inspired skating outfits, your celebrating being gay. He should just man up about it or go straight….

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:08pm
  22. He should be an activist.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:12pm
  23. Hold up…
    It’s not about being gay he’s talking about…
    It’s just the fact on how some will judge a book by it’s cover & it takes so much out of you to try & have the world see you as you & not what they think or want to believe.
    Some can’t live their life until far beyond of what they expected…
    Hell I’m a lesbian & it’s difficult. It’s not the fact of being gay in general it’s showing others.

You know what people make such a big deal about being LGBTQ. That’s great that they are, but give others a break. Possibility that they don’t want to be the center of attention..

(-<) <3 :)

~ <3 ~

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:12pm
  24. Unfortunately these media appearances don't tell the whole story. Johnny Weir HAS been doing activist work, from talking to groups of transgender youth to hosting GLAAD events, working for AIDS prevention, and designing a T-shirt for the TrevorProject etc. I've read his book and the way I see it, he's saying that in refusing to be identified solely on the basis of his sexual orientation and in living his life with full gusto as he sees fit for Johnny Weir, he is welcoming a new era where one's gender, sexuality, race, or religion does not define a person. His notions of gender and sexuality are very open and fluid, but even as such, sexuality is only one aspect of who he is. He is very open and honest about being gay (and frankly has never pretended to be straight–no faux girlfriends or attempts to act "more masculine" and has happily demonstrated his love of Balenciaga bags, makeup, and glitter).Let the man live his life the way he wants!

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 9:44pm
  25. OMG!!!I never ever in a Zillion years would have thought that Johnny Weir was GAY!!!He really had me fooled!!(mm hmm!yah,..sure!)ootfray ooplay!!

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 10:30pm
  26. We need to celebrate being gay, bi, whatever we are in today’s world. We collectively need to show the conservative haters out there that we are not afraid of them, that they will not win and we will not allow their hatred define how we live our lives. Being gay, et all. Is part of who we are. We should not have to be ashamed of if. We should not have to hide or not show public displays of affection just because some people may be uncomfortable. Yes you should celebrate being gay, bi, trans whatever you are. Celebrate it in your own way. If that involves marching in a pride parade, go for it. If it involves spending a quiet night sitting on the couch with your partner watching latter days, go for it. Celebrate in your own way. We don’t let people tell us how to live our lives, we shouldn’t tell each other how to celebrate either.

Ok that was rambling, hope it all made sense.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 10:38pm
  27. Dumb, it’s not so much about celebrating as it is about having pride in who you are despite others (religionists, anti-gay bigots) wanting you to be ashamed of who you are.

Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 10:51pm
  28. I find Johnny’s statement glib, simplistic, shallow, apolitical, apathetic and homophobic. Point taken–Gays are just people too.

I don’t think being Gay is a curse, but it is a harsh political reality that need not be minimized in any way. And anyone who wear’s outfits like Johnny’s and says they don’t celebrate being Gay is just a liar.

Posted on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 4:46am