Brandon Bitner: Anti-gay bullying leads to another tragic teen suicide

Monday, November 8, 2010
Brandon BitnerFAMILY PHOTO

Brandon Bitner

MIDDLEBURG, Penn. — Anti-gay bullying has reportedly claimed another teen life.

Brandon Bitner, 14, of Mount Pleasant Mills, Penn., walked 13 miles from his home early Friday morning to a busy intersection and threw himself in front of an oncoming tractor-trailer after leaving a suicide note at his home, according to The Daily Item.

There seems to be little doubt in students’ minds why Brandon did what he did.

“It was because of bullying,” friend Takara Jo Folk wrote in a letter to The Daily Item.

“It was not about race, or gender, but they bullied him for his sexual preferences and the way he dressed. Which,” she said, “they wrongly accused him of.”

Brandon’s suicide note reportedly explained that he was constantly bullied at Midd-West High School in Middleburg, where he was a freshman.

Bullies allegedly called Brandon gay, girly, fag, and geek. He stated in the note that a humiliating event in school this past week was the “straw that broke the camel’s back.”

Brandon was an accomplished violinist, having been a member of the Susquehanna Youth Orchestra in 2009.

His death came just days after an anti-bullying assembly at the high school, which, according to district Superintendent Wesley Knapp, was not held in response to any specific problems at the school, but because it is an issue Principal Cynthia Hutchinson has always felt strongly about.

After the assembly, according to student Briana Boyer in another letter to The Daily Item, “No one took it seriously, and joked around about it.”

Tammy Simpson, Brandon’s mother, said Brandon suffered verbal abuse from other students for years.

“They called him gay lots of times,” Simpson told WHTM-TV. “If the bullying would have been corrected, maybe it wouldn’t have got to this point. Maybe he wouldn’t have taken his life.”

School administrators said they weren’t aware of any problems.

Friends of Brandon have set up a Facebook page, “RIP Brandon Bitner.”

A memorial website is here, and the Patriot-News has Brandon’s obituary here.

Archives: , , , , ,

Filed under: Pennsylvania

1. "His death came just days after an anti-bullying assembly at the high school, which, according to district Superintendent Wesley Knapp, was not held in response to any specific problems at the school"
    Looks to me that they SHOULD have had an assembly to address specific problems in the school. Seems to be a preemptive for a possible lawsuit and a deflection of any responsibility that may be directed toward the school and school district.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 12:08pm
  2. i think they meant that there wasnt a key event at that school that triggered the need for a anti-gay assembly. meaning that they planned and had the anti-gay assembly, just to have it and not because there was an incident that they know of. not that it wasnt addressing a specific issue because the name says it, anti-gay, so the issue addressed was anti-gay bullying but just not in response to an incident at that school prior to the assembly

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 8:09pm
  3. Each classroom teacher need to PAY ATTENSION!!!!! Those kids aren't just horsing around they're all planning on harming these kids when school is over or during school between classes. Are these people that Moronic that they can't see this going on or are the contributing to the problem. Highschool kids are constantly looking for ways to get away with murder...

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:59pm
  4. OMG! Not again!! This is SO tragic!!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 12:56pm
  5. And it will never change until the media takes a REAL stand to help! But no, instead they helped use these tradgedies to sell their autotoned girl pop stars sell music and make bucks! Instead of finding someone who is really gay and getting bullied all the time trying to make it in the music business who already had a song with an amazing message who wrote the song to inspire without something to gain like Adam lambert’s “Aftermath” who I have been hearing stories everyday from peeps who have used the song to help them find their way they plugged a trashy song called We R Who We R by Kesha who through the song together to sell and make big bucks and has no clue what it is like to survive this mad world of ignorance towards gays bexcause she isnt gay!! They do it everytime and frankly Im sick of using these sad cases to fill someones pocketbooks! Its time for a change folks, we are killing our youth!
    Sorry, but I just read an article written by the New York Times plugging songs by Kesha and Katy Perry and Gaga and saying someone like Adam Lambert couldnt sell a gay anthem! Really? Um, he is the only one who could because he is living it! Im so fed up with suits wanting dollars instead of caring and taking action!!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:08pm
  6. I think the schools are partly to blame in these kinds of situations. I know that as a gay student in a small town, i was bullied all through middle and high school. I can tell you that NEVER ONCE was the bullying addressed by the school officials. I think that these school officials need to required to participate in some sort of special training to try to stop bullying and of course a lot of the responsibility lies with the parents. Cmon parents,,,really? it's time we put an end to this senseless bullying and start teaching your kids tolerance and the impact that bullying has. I can remember as a child there was this one particular child that was such a bully in the school toward all of the kids, not just me. I remember some of the parents confronted his parents and they just basically laughed it off. Those parents and that child, now an adult, i'm certain have NO idea how much his bullying had impacted the other students. I th ink these bullies should be removed from the schools and be forced to attend some sort of other alternative form of schooling. We need to contact our senators and congressmen to address these issues. This is serious guys. Let's ban together and act now.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:11pm
  7. This is getting ridiculous!
    This has become a catch all issue to hide the fact that we as a society have failed our children in many ways.
    Maybe I'm just a bit prudish in my viewpoint on this and if so…so be it.
    This as a much bigger problem about our society's hyper focus on sexuality in general.
    …Come on,at 14 children shouldn't be focused sex anyways, much less "if" they are gay or straight or whatever.
    It would be interesting to know how many "teen" suicides are based on sexuality or issues involving sexuality period.
    Then consider what message we are giving our children about how their self "worth" /self-esteem is being related to sexuality at all.
    These are children being expected to tackle issues that we "grown-ups" can't handle appropriately 95% of the time. I say "grown-up with all due snarkyness.
    If you really want to deal with this issue, start to take a long hard look at the corporations and industry that feeds off of the pressure these children are being asked to deal with related to their sexuality period.

This isn't just"theory" on my part this is an opinion based on being a mother of 2 Children ( 15 & 25) who I have helped navigate this mind field successfully.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:20pm
  8. "mine field"

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 8:48pm
  9. Some good points Kym, but I suggest you go and research those statistics you mention because they're there - and you'll perhaps be humbled by what you find.

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 9:34pm
  10. I agree with you pretty much with all of that there, except perhaps the "at 14" bit. I know as a freshman in high school I was SO wrapped up in boys. I had NO idea what it was like to be looked at that way until I hit high school. Granted, I didn't commit suicide, but that has a good bit to do with my parents being there for me through my "dark" phase, as my mother so dubbed it. A child dealing with questioning their own sexuality at that age probably isn't willing to tell their parents out of fear of their response. I know I wasn't even willing to tell my mother that I was interested in guys at school and that wasn't something that strayed from her Christian beliefs. Telling her I was agnostic was my own little closet to come out of. She went on the offensive, blamed herself, blamed my father, then realized that it wasn't the end of the world, I was still her daughter, and that it didn't change how she loved me. THAT is what I feel parents need to think about. I feel as though I know too many people who have abandoned their families because they are looked on as "outcasts" "misfits" "black sheep" or just a plain "disappointment" to their family. Perhaps the more people are educated in tolerance and acceptance of the LGBTQ community, we will find more understanding, loving, and supportive families. "As long as you are truly happy, I am happy."

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:17am
  11. Good points Kym. I agree that our media makes young people feel like they should know themselves sexually far earlier than is possible. Most of society equates self worth with their perceived sexual appeal not realizing it is just a sales technique and not a check list for living a happy life. We need to teach our youth to value the function of their minds above reproductive behaviors.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:16pm
  12. Kim, you're a bit naive here. I knew I was gay at age 9. And that was in 1970 - much less "sex in the culture" at that time. The answer is not to squelch and ignore the feelings that emerge as you reach puberty, but to be able to think and ponder and explore those feelings in a safe environment. (To the person who said at puberty you begin to notice the opposite sex - um, no, you begin to notice your own sexuality, whether that measn the same sex or the opposite sex.) We Americans live is such a repressed culture. We need to discard old religious notions of sex being dirty and hidden.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:27pm
  13. dude that ain't cool. Gay,Straight bi, whatever we're all people and deserve to be treated like a human and not some freak. I too am Bi and is getting bullied at school. Sooner or later i might snap and go off. OR do what he did. But this talk about how the poor little gay kids are going to fight back is just bullcrap. How would you feel if you got bullied everyday day in and day out about how you dress or who you like. That would make you a little on edge too don't you think. So think about that for a while!!!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:43pm
  14. Actually Mia is dead on. I myself am bi and so is my son as well. Mia is that way is well. We all feel ithe same in some way. Mia didn't mean to offend, just tired of the b.s. going on. I for one aggree if nothing is done then yes they will reatliate and that will not solve anything.

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:17pm
  15. Don't ever do what he did, no matter how bad it is at school, you WILL get done with it and then YOU can choose where you go and who you're with, people suck, end of story, don't give those a**holes the pleasure of knowing they won and made you give up, I don't even know you but I know you are worth WAY more than that! Stay close to your true friends and the people that really care about you and tell the ones who treat you poorly to get off your back, I know it's hard to ignore and get away from, but if you keep telling yourself that you wont have to deal with them forever you WILL be able to get through it

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:18pm
  16. This is a tragedy in so many ways. No mention of how the driver whose truck hit the student is coping. Hard to imagine any of this.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:56pm
  17. I feel sad for his family and friends.. but also for the poor driver of the tractor-trailer. Can you imagine trucking along as usual, typical morning, and then a kid jumps out into your path and gets crushed to death under your wheels.

I also think all this national coverage is a two sided coin, good/bad. It shines a light on the problems of bullying and homophobia but it might also be encouraging copycat actions from those who are desperate and see other examples of bullied teens who commit suicide and then get hyper-eulogized on the Internet. I realize this is a touchy thing to say, but it has crossed my mind a lot.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:59pm
  18. If we don't pay attention to this issue because we are afraid of "copy cat" actions...we are all in serious trouble..NOT TALKING ABOUT SUICIDE MAKES IT WORSE...FOR THOSE WHO ARE DEPRESSED AND THOSE OF US WHO ARE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE OF SUICIDE....We have to talk about it!! 88 times a day on average someone dies by their own hand in this country alone..

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:01pm
  19. Kids are smarter than that. I think the need and will to survive would take over. If kids are killing themselvs it is because they don't know how to survive this kind of constant abuse. This is why many Fathers teach their sons to fight. It is in mans nature to show others who is ALPHA ... It's sad but true. These poor kids were just to timid to fight back... Believe me I know what Im talking about. .. It sucks and when your in it, It feels like the end of the world.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:41pm
  20. I was bullied in Grade school and Jr High, I was tall for my age and had breasts at the age of 9, back then, that was freakish. I can't even begin to count how many times I came home crying and depressed. I would have 'spells' that made me cry and I missed school because of it. Later on, I had seizures, caused by stress. In High School we moved to a different area and I did much better, though not entirely well until I was 19 and my son was born, What a blessing for me. 99% of my 'issues' vanished. My son is now 34, married and with a kid of his own. He also faced bullying in School. Again, it was smaller kids picking on a larger one, but I was adamant with the principal about how to handle this and it worked pretty well. You can't just blame the school, PARENTS need to take a role too, and students themselves, if they see another of their own being bullied, need to learn to step in. Bullies won't take on more than one kid at a time. Safety in numbers, remember that.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:59pm
  21. People need to stop seeing so narrow! Bullying is a problem everywhere for everyone. Not just for homosexual teens. Parents drop off their misbehaving children at school and expect the teachers to do the job the parents are too lazy to correct!!!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 2:52pm
  22. agreed. i'm a teacher and i see students who act ridiculous because mommy and daddy allow it at home, and then WE are supposed to reteach them how to have proper manners towards each other??? oh yeah, and teach??? it has become a serious problem. mainly because babies are having babies, in my opinion. my parents were strict and also taught me how to be polite and be friends with everyone. i was bullied a lot in school by kids who were redneck and ignorant. i got through it, but it was hard. i think we are going to have to crackdown on bullying by giving documentation of bullying in class, calling home when it occurs, and contacting the counselor to help the student who has been bullied. this is why teachers get paid the big bucks, right???

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:17am
  23. Being bullied IS a problem for many kids who aren't gay, this is true. But a child teased for being short will have people to talk to openly! That's often NOT the case for gay teens... A short kid goes home and says he was teased for being short, mom and dad KNOW he or she is short, and get mad at the school. A gay (or curious) teen gets teased as gay, and they have many issues to face. First and foremost they have to come to grips with it themselves, long before they can work up the nerve to discuss it with anybody else! Or they can do like that kid in Minnesota a few years ago and confide in a teacher! THAT kid's teachers began teasing him openly in school about being gay! Ironically he wasn't, he had just been confused... The school district there DEFENDED the teachers who taunted him during an in-class report about a president from long ago, saying to the class, that "we know that you like older men"! These things MUST be stopped! (And YES, they ARE different for the gay kids...)

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:22pm
  24. people are just too damn sensitive. get over it!! bullying is a part of life!! i was bullied as a kid and i didnt jump off a bridge, or blow my head off, or leap in front of a tractor trailer truck. this country is raising pussies as kids. life sucks, deal with it and move on!

Replied on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 3:38am
  25. it not just gay bullying that schools ignore. my sister was choked by a boy in her grade (shes 9) and she was afraid to tell the teacher because the teacher had previously called her a tattletale. after my mom addressed the principal, the boys parents were called in along with the boy, but he was back in class an hour later. WTH
    school systems really need to put more enforcement behind anti-bullying period.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 2:54pm
  26. back when i was a kid we learned how to suck it up when we got bullied we didnt act like little pussies and go kill ourselves. all this damn praising dead gay kids just makes more do it.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 2:57pm
  27. I'm sure they did but it was brushed under the mat like many other things back in the day..

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:05pm
  28. what is wrong with you? thats really ignorant. you make me sick!!!!!!!!!! you sound just like them (the bullies) and im sure you probably were one. maybe you should have killed yourself and we'd be better off.

Replied on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 11:38pm
  29. Yeah, sure. Older folks "sucked it up alright", to the point where you either: 1) Harmed others behind closed doors, only for the truths to be revealed later; or 2) kept it in long enough to turn into *middle-aged*, bitter, angry nutters and harm outwardly like serial killers, sexual abusers and rapists! Prisons and Death Row are full of folks from "back in the day" who used the excuses of being *bullied and abused*, by guess who --- by older generations than THEM too! Knock off the self-righteous crap and stop acting as though older generations cornered the market on "toughness", or are the bastions and poster people for "morality" or anything else. There are far too many cases of the exact opposite and many of the worst cases ever recorded were from "back in the day", ya obnoxious idiot!

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 2:25am
  30. I have a feeling this comment was meant to force opposition to your statement... because for you to put this comment on this site, and this particular article tells me that you've been at this point ... and its like a flashback... your failure to fully cope with your internal demons from your childhood.... I don't hate or despise u for this comment ... I pity you.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 8:20am
  31. Being bullied IS a problem for many kids who aren't gay, this is true. But a child teased for being short will have people to talk to openly! That's often NOT the case for gay teens... Calling these kids "pussies" really reveals your character, and suggests that you were probably on the side of the bullies in school. Too bad you never tried bullying somebody like me in school. I enjoyed cracking the skulls of your kind...

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:25pm
  32. You are wrong...read the statistics about suicide and maybe with some education on the subject you will be enlightened as to why this happens...if a child you know commits suicide are you going to call them a pussy?? Are you going to tell the parents that their kid was a pussy? If so, then YOU need to get some counseling as obviously you have issues regarding your own bullying...

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:05pm
  33. I hope one day, if you ever get married at all for how inconsiderate and selfish of a human being you are, have to deal with this issue because your child is gay and is being bullied where every they may be. People like you is what creates these fears for others for being themselves whether they are gay or not.

Replied on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 1:57am
  34. Never hear from any parents who actually have kids who are bullies. Do they know, do parents educate their kids at home about being respectful to others and that bullying is not on!
    Make sure you really know your kid and put some effective parenting skills in place.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 2:58pm
  35. Kids are quite reckless at this age, starting to spread their wings, yet still very immature? Increased monitoring of their behaviour might not be such a bad thing?

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 3:31pm
  36. They're purposely letting it happen … We were all in high school don't act so naive!!!!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 4:06pm
  37. I am sick & I am tired of hearing of all these poor kids taking there life because of being bullied. Brandon Bitner, age 14 being the latest…. Just STOP!!! Ellenor Roosevelt once said "Only I can give U the power to hurt me." If u really want to end a life…. end the life of the bully! Its just as easy to point the gun in the other direction.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 4:19pm
  38. Oh yeah, great idea... hey kid don't kill yourself shoot that bully over there and spend the rest of your life in prison with people that won't bully you... Yeah right. You didn't think that one through did ya. We don't need our kids being murders too.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:36pm
  39. This is so awful. Can we start "outing" these bullies. So frustrating!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 4:42pm
  40. Some 6th graders the other day had a conversation about bullying and suicide. YES they are talking about this at 11 years old. I told them to put themselves in the other's shoes before they make a rude comment, and chances are they won't make it because they become the other person and literally would be hurting themselves since we are all connected. It's called empathy. I said to them, "What if the last straw is felt by the kid who would have grown up to cure cancer? You need to realize what a responsibility you have for your own actions. They could indirectly and directly affect the outcome of your own tomorrow." Part of the problem is we aren't teaching our kids to be empathetic.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 5:10pm
  41. why is it an "important distinction"? Bullying is no good. Being gay is hard enough on it's own. Why seperate that bullying from other bullying? It's ALL bad. And if he was gay, that "distinction" doesn't mean that he deserved it.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 5:32pm
  42. Robyn, the point is that being gay is distinguished by how gay kids are at risk of being treated by their own parents and other family. In the adult world this bullying manifests in more assault, loss of careers and child custody. Marriage is not an equal option, and neither is service in the military or the Scouts. Regardless of how many other kids are bullied, THEY don't get more of the same as they are older. Certainly not by their government. THAT is the important distinction. And kids listen to the adults around them, disqualify gay lives to participate and enjoy the same things others do, regardless of not earning or being morally qualified to. These are things children aren't learning. To say nothing that the assault and battery they commit in school, is actionable as criminal among adults. The sooner young people know the gravity of that, the more there is reduction in bullying in schools. Understand now?

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:51am
  43. I think Society as a whole needs to wake up. Teach your children at an early age this is not proper behavior. It's not just up to schools or teachers to teach you children proper conduct. Parents and Adults need to guide there youth and when parents are children having children what can you expect. It all starts at HOME, you must teach your children well. Teach them about sex at an early age, teach tolerance of all humans not just the gays.Society as a whole needs to learn to live and let live, if you don't understand get educated. Ignorance is not bliss when a child takes his life, you the parent should take the time to talk with your children explain that being different is what makes us individuals not one of us are the same. We are as different as our DNA and we must learn to accept that not everyone thinks and acts the same as you!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 5:41pm
  44. It is always sad when a teenager takes their life for any reason. As a now 40 yr old gay man I went through the teasing in school and am very thankful that I had my friends and family support me when others would say mean things to me; and if you don't think teachers don't see this happening in school I will simply quote my 7th and 9th grade English teacher when I asked her to sign my yearbook before going to highschool. She signed it…. I'm sorry your years here during junior high were so tough on you. I wish these kids would realize they have support if they would just look or ask for it. My school days were not pleasant by any means but I can honestly say my life is much better now and wish these kids would realize that if they hang in there it does get better. Look for help and never give up!

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 6:24pm
  45. As a teacher, I agree that these tragic events are happening way too often. Along with SERIOUS conversations and programs against bullying and for acceptance, suicide prevention education and counseling need to be offered. I lost a gay niece to suicide. Tragic and senseless.

Teens and young adults need support. The schools are 'counting beans' and often social services are the first things that go. My husband taught the boy who killed himself in Cleveland at Success Tech High. His goth 'look' got him bullied and his genius (he was a genius with a bi-polar disorder) couldn't sort it out. He was smart enough to have killed others if he wanted to but he only killed himself (9th grader). It's criminal that the schools don't bear full responsibility for these tragic events. Mentor, Ohio is another hot spot. A suburb of Cleveland. Sad! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/08/4-bullie

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 6:37pm
  46. I agree with that, and having attended school in that area during the 70's, I can sympathize.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:29pm
  47. Of course this is tragic. I'm concerned that we as a society expect schools to solve this. It is caused by how kids are raised by their families. They only attended school 181 days a year. Underfunded schools are lucky if they can afford a school counselor and in this law suit crazy society they are limited in what they can say or do.Parents are raising both the bullies and the victims and can't pretend to be blind to children's behaviors, to what they watch on TV.
    Parents of both, especially victims, need access to sliding scale mental health counseling to help them warmly support their children. I wonder if denial or hostility to child is not the first and worst kind of bullying, aka, the denial of love, make schoolyard taunts that is given to not only gay but also, fat, tall, skinny, dorky, all the worse.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 6:49pm
  48. There is no easy solution to bullying. I will never get why anyone can be so mean.. and hateful towards others. I remember being bullied. It was not about sexual preference, but even back then names that didn't even ring any bells with me–didn't even know what they meant-were used to hurt anyone they didn't like-gay, homo, queer, etc. and all it took to become a victim was to be not a bully-or be shy, or not be a smoker, or a toughie. It is still the same. I remember being so terrified of being beaten–that I'd wait till I got home to go to the bathroom-the bullies usually were sitting up on the toilets smoking cigs, and/or hidding from teachers, so they didnt' have to go to classes.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 7:24pm
  49. Another innocent, talented young person.. gone-for what????? Sorry that no one could have reached him before he gave up this planet.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 7:26pm
  50. I quit high school (wyoming valley west) my junior year. (1999-2000)I had been bullied by a number of jocks/football players since I started freshmen year. 1997-1998 I was the only one in the school who was open with who i was. at the time i thought i was gay. turns out i had to come out twice once as gay and then again as transgendered. I had also witnessed a Suicide in my back yard a year earlier… which was one of the most traumatic things I have ever been through.
    I remember the final straw was getting kicked in the back by 3 kids. One of whos name was Draper Brown. who was on the football team… they crumbled up a paper that read " It's going to be Columbine all over again faggot" and threw it at my head during study hall which so happend to be in the gymnasium that day. When I went to the principal Mr Irving Dereemer He brought the kid down and then I was followed by 30 teen guys home….surrounded me and they were ready to beat me. Luckily enough the place where they had followed me to was an alley that connected my friend Mary and Steph Garrahans back yard where I remember running into their Mom's House. I withdrew from all my classes and was given 7 days out of school suspension for not returning after that day. I was told " Oh Draper. I dont think he would ever do something like that" I enrolled in Empire Beauty School at age 16 where I was surrounded by adults in a very accepting enviroment. I remember the high school trying so hard to keep me. But I saw the transparency of it all. I was just another number and a money sign, they truly didnt care for my well being. If i would have stayed. I doubt I would still be alive due to the constant torture that I endured on a daily basis. I'm gratefull that I was able to take a placement test and enroll in beauty school (which i believe i was the first and only person in the state of pennsylvania to actually do that) Now you can't do that. The rules have changed and they force you to either quit and work full time or wait to take your GED when your class graduates to enroll. I was fortunate to have that opportunity at the time. As I feel i had a jump start on my future career. It was a truly difficult time and I overcame the struggle by keeping strong mentally and surrounding myself with peers who accepted me and uplifted me. . I understand some are not in a position or strong enough to keep on when life seems to be constantly bringing them down. I only hope that more lgbt kids find the courage and strength to reach out and find their acceptance and support somewhere. So that this will come to an end once and for all.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 8:33pm
  51. I'm sorry for all those people that have never been blessed enough to see past sexual preferences and look into the soul of a man. And you call yourself Christians. There is nothing Christ like, judging another person.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 8:37pm
  52. I went to MIdd-West and was severely bullied. I had to switch high schools. My frist boyfriend who also went there, quit school all together.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 9:00pm
  53. I agree with you both. For whatever reason, I ended up being one of the kids that was picked on and humiliated almost daily by the "cool" students (trust me, it was bad). I ended up losing it one day in class and was forced to talk to a guidance counselor about the problem, but that is exactly what I did NOT want to happen. Their solution to the bullying problem was to do things like make us sit in a room and talk to each other, or in rare cases, give the bullies detention. This is always a sure-fire way to have the harassment intensify.

What I think many forget in searching for a solution to this problem is: 1) the mentality of the students, and 2) the mentality of the faculty. In my own high school experience, it was quite obvious that faculty members associated themselves with and favored certain cliques, so they were no help. However, regardless of what the faculty does/does not do, we need to remember that these kids and teens often have no idea how much power they actually have. Rather than feeling confident in the ability to be truly helped by the administration, they are rarely self-actualized enough to feel anything but increasingly helpless.

Perhaps rather than focus so much on what appears to be ineffective anti-bullying awareness programs, perhaps we should work on building confidence in these kids of their own ability to protect and defend themselves. The same anti-harassment laws that protect us as adults most certainly can protect them, but I'm not sure that they realize this or feel that their particular situation is significant enough to warrant it.

Just my opinion. I'm not trying to say I have the answer.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 9:19pm
  54. Strides are being made, but it is not enough… So called education experts are using methods used to teach parents and other adults around their age to education on bullying, which works for them and parents but not for students. I could have told you that a "anti bullying assembly" would be have laughed at and joked around, and those students who followed the publicly given methods would have faced more ridicule and humiliation from bullies. Throughout late middle school and onto the early parts of high school I was bullied, not because of sexual preference. Thankfully many of these kids matured onto upperclassmen year, while a good majority of them dropped out of high school. Being a 5 year high school student and going through a total of 4 different middle and high schools.. Public schools do NEXT TO NOTHING to prevent bullying and harassment as such. A friend of mine was constantly ridiculed. He one day went to the school resource officer (SRO,, the only real police office in uniform on campus) he was promised he would get back to him….. He never did.. My friend went back to the SRO after a few weeks, SRO's reply "O yeah.. Well when I asked them, they said they never did that." Go figure… If this was done in a real world workplace…The victim would have a board of people to file a complaint, could even pursue legal action. Petitioned person would be terminated from their job for creating a hostile workplace,, why a similar method is not done in school systems is beyond me.. Well then again,, many school administrators do not care if you cant give the school something…simple as that. A student makes the school money, students who do poorly are encouraged to seek alternate options (aka: just go away) while those who can give something to school (outstanding in athletics, academics, parents give the school money, or keep the status quo of good overall school grade in check) are protected by any means… to the point of a bullyed student who cannot do well, because of his harassing environment or retaliates against the spoiled rich kid who has a 2.5 GPA (thus harming the dollar symbol),, is encouraged to to switch schools, seek out their GED, or suck it up and harshly but very discretely warned not to come back with this problem again. Ive seen this happen, and at one point almost feel into that pool. Schools are quick to cover themselves, in order to prevent being sued and avoid bad press. When they should be full and well taking responsibility, for being a system that requires this much of a persons daily life.
    We need to protect the victims of bullying, not the bullies.

Posted on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 10:57pm
  55. “There were no incidents reported to us, nor seen by teachers, nor reported by students to any of us. So that part of it catches me by surprise,” said Knapp.

BULL SHIT. Teachers look the other way. I know because I lived it as a kid.

Kids are animals, and they need strict adult supervision and correction to keep them in line. Put up cameras, have heavy consequences for bullying, and incorporate some empathy programs in the curriculum. This poor kid killed himself, and there will be many more, not to mention the number of wounded people who survived bullying.

Teachers, school admins, parents, take responsibilities for your failures to protect children.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 6:52am
  56. I'm just wondering if a national campaign reminding every single parent in the country that THERE ARE GAYS IN EVERY FAMILY UNIT THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PLANET. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. Deal with it. We are your children, your mothers, fathers, grandparents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins. We are very much part of the nuclear and the world wide family. Get over it. The worlds immense problems will not be solved by marginalising Lesbians and Gays. Bullies often come from a family where bullying is the norm. That too needs to be looked into.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 6:53am
  57. "School administrators said they weren’t aware of any problems."

Bull CRAP! I was bullied all the time in middle and high school. Both were the worst times in my life. The school knew it was happening, and they did nothing except tell me I must have been doing something to cause the bullies to pick on me. Yes it was blamed on me except when my parents were in the room, then I was told to my face in front of my parents that I was liar. "The school would never say it was my fault." That drove a wedge between my parents and me, because they believed professional adults wouldn't lie, so I must have been the one telling a lies.

Just because some one is of an age to be a legal adult whether 18 or 70 does not mean they will act like an adult.
    Adults will lie just as readily, I know from experience, and I don't believe this school was ignorant of what was happening at all. They just put their heads in the sand and let it go on, probably using the old cop outs I heard so much when it was happening to me, "children will be children" and "there will always be bullies".

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:38am
  58. Bravo, a very good reply. Telling teens to not think about sex is like telling them don't breath. At that age they are hard wired to start exploring sexually .

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:43am
  59. Nice insensitive rant! YOU survived, so insult those who didn't? You're as bad as the faculty at these schools who "didn't see anything". Why even post this nonsense? You were teased as a lesbian, but you WEREN'T one, so it's not the same thing at all… To be tormented and laughed at for something that you ARE is a different story! I wasn't teased, as I would have broken the jaw of the first one to try it…

No death is ridiculous! Nor are these kids still around to notice any "media attention". Congratulations on being the biggest idiot in this post so far!

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 8:07am
  60. Stigmatizing suicide as "weak" and "ridiculous" is not doing anyone any favors. The reason many people commit suicide is because they feel isolated and hopeless- they lack positive influences in their lives. I'm assuming you had people in your life that supported you. Not all teenagers have good relationships with their parents. It's kind of silly that you'd even chose to name yourself "NotYourFriend," because it's that sort of attitude that contributes to people feeling hated and alone. This post qualifies as bullying behavior, and I feel like you haven't truly gotten over your bullies if you feel the need to belittle people for contemplating suicide.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 9:48am
  61. I dont get what the big deal about being gay is. If it deosnt affect your life then why even worry about it. If people just stopped bullying and just treated LGBT people like normal people for a day and didnt pay attention to orientation, they would realize that they are normal, regular people. I used to have a friend (not any more) who bullied gays, and when I came out to him, he was perfectly fine about it. We went to vegas with a few friends and was surprised to see him making out with men and talking about how he has thoughts….When we got back home he beat someone up for being gay and lost me as a friend. This stuff is sad and needs to stop. We are people like everyone else.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 9:49am
  62. That former friend of yours was a hyprocrite and crazy.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 5:59pm
  63. The bullying isn't just directed towards the kids in school who are gay, perceived as gay, or for any other reason. Adults, young & older, who are gay or perceived as gay are also attacked and sometimes killed, too. The problem is not just a problem within the schools in the U.S., but a societal problem. As long as the public at large is given "reason" enough to continue their beliefs that gay people are available to them to be persecuted, the problem will remain at all levels within our society. Congress bears some responsibility for not passing laws to protect all LGBT person as a minority, but also all of those so-called religious leaders who demonstrate their hate towards the LGBT community are also at fault. Once it's clearly understood that such persecution, torment and displays of hate toward the LGBT community is not acceptable, only then will matters begin to improve.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:02am
  64. ]Every school system needs to have an "Anti-bullying" speech to it's students. Every student has a right to be who they are, live how they want and love who they want. In terms of the suicides, these teens think that because no one has done anything to try and stop it, besides a few, that suicide is the escape. As I said before, every student deserves their liberty and their purisut of happiness. I believe that without going over these harmful situations with bullies and students, the suicide rate'll escalate. and, i hope that some students read what I write, because it'll affect them too. In a way, because of all the suicides, the bullies technically are murderers, right? They led these kids to believe there'd be nothing more to go for. So, go beyond the school system and start doing rallys in your towns. In your neighborhoods. At your stores. Have teaching sessions on detecting bullying, and making sure your kids know that it IS ok to report a problem at school. No kid should be afraid.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:25am
  65. Kids and people in general need to learn and know how to handle hate, bullying or other negativity and not let it affect them to that level. People need to walk away and ask for help when they need it before the problem gets worse.
    Schools need to enforce the punishment on violence and other inappropriate behavior when they occur, otherwise they may continue. People need to learn to have some self confidence . It is your decision and nobody's business about what you prefer and what makes you happy, healthy and sane.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:54am
  66. I am 16 years old, and I live in Canada. I'd like to offer my opinion.

First of all: I've seen a lot of people suggesting more anti-bullying projects, and speeches, and those sorts of things. That's fine, fabulous. As a high school student, I can tell you that after we get out of one of those assembly's, we talk about it with our friends, joke about it, then it's gone. I think I'm sensible; I don't hurt anyone on purpose, I try to be polite, I don't even swear. But that doesn't mean that the ones who DO bully kids are going to change and be like the good kids. If they get a reaction, it'll be done.

I had to fight, literally, to keep myself safe in junior high because of kids trying to hurt me, and that's wrong. You can say all you want: Parents should teach their kids better! That doesn't mean they will. There will always be those people that attack others, verbally or non-verbally, and there will be those who react stronger than others.

It's wrong to be hated or even just called out negatively on something you can't control. It's the same as saying " Ew, look at you! Haha, you're gross, you'll never get a boyfriend/girlfriend!" And it's wrong that people are dying for it. Just because some of you here are strong-willed, and think dying is a weak solution doesn't mean that other people think that. They consider it an escape. If you felt destroyed, wouldn't you want it to stop? It makes me immeasurably sad to imagine the pain these people, and all the people who are bullied, for that matter, have to go through. I wish everyone could be kind and loving, but there's always going to be the ones who aren't.

I DO believe it can be reduced greatly, however. I'm not sure how, but it can. Everyone simply has to think for themselves, and if they can realize that "Hey, I'm being a big fat jerk" the same way I realized "Hey, I'm not being who I want to be", then we have done well.

PS: Some things about the school might be correct, but that doesn't mean that all the teachers knew all about it and didn't say anything. I was physically harmed on school grounds, but that doesn't mean the teachers knew about it. People have to realize that kids can hide things extremely well. Everyone thinks a girl I know is a perfect angel, passes in her work on time, shows up for class… And she's the one that told me I wasn't worth anything and who told me she would break my bones if I didn't run.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 11:18am
  67. Sympathy to the family. It appears to me that the school was aware of "something" to hold an anti bullying assemble and now have their heads in the sand as a preference to not accept that this student was a victim. Shame on those in the school who bully anyone. Who do they think they are? Everyone who has bullied another student at this school should come forward and accept responsibility for pushing this student to the edge. As a survivor of a suicide victim I know the pain left behind. Again shame on those who have bullied at this school.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 12:13pm
  68. school faculity know damn well whats going on, but due tlo that fact that thy are a back water society and small minded, thy dont care…….but u have to love the way the school trys to cover it all up and make it seem that thy had no idea that anythng was going on…..really….as a gay male i went threw the same thing at that age….we need to take a step back, and try and help these young kids…….b4 we lose any more or our young ones

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 12:52pm
  69. You are sadly very uneducated about the matter. Suicide has very little to do with media, it's when someone's perception of support gets distorted, even if help is right beside them, you get in so much despair, you start to feel that you are garbage, a burden to society. Sadly people like you who are very ignorant and completely uneducated about the matter, takes the time to have an opinion and add to this toxic world we live in. Second, There are many factors that your life had differently comparing to the lives of these people, no ones story is alike and no one is capable to deal with it in the same way. It's not an act of heroism nor is it an act of coweredness, its simply despair at it's most raw form. P.s. being called a fag when your not one, sucks, but you live with it, but being called a fag when your confused or gay and shamed by people is very destructive. Kids who can't tell anyone because they feel so unsafe is outrageous. I'll take that your bullying did effect you because if you had grew out of it, you'd be much smarter about the strength and weaknesses of the human kind. I'm sorry about your childhood, but don't become one of those miserable people who need to share there misery with others. Educate yourself and save a life instead!!

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:31pm
  70. i dont really care. its sad that he thought that he had to kill himself when really all he had to do was stop acting weird. i feel bad for his family, but really i think that if they hadnt allowed him to wear mascara and dress weird when he left for school then he wouldnt have got made fun of.
    PEOPLE WONT BULLY YOU IF YOU STOP ACTING LIKE A FREAK!
    stop wearing weird makeup when you are a boy, stop acting weird, dont be overly gay and saying you are to everyone when it makes people uncomfortable. some people act and dress so weird, you are practically asking for people to make fun of you.
    thats the easy solution to bullying….JUST ACT NORMAL!

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:43pm
  71. exactly what is normal? who are you to judge? I almost lost a loved one because of suicide, and your comment offends me very much. I have lived my life trying to be different from everyone else DONT YOU EVER TELL ANYONE TO STOP BEING WHO THEY ARE. the victims are not the problem here, it's people like you. Tolerance is all we need in our society. I think you need to have a rude awakening, and soon. Haven't you ever felt sad, or alone, or just not worth anything? That is what these victims feel only times ten. You need to learn that what makes us different is what makes us individuals. Individual. Special. Different from everyone else. Those are blessings, and I will be damned if any hides there blessings. Live and learn... but mostly learn.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 10:58pm
  72. WTF is your idea of normal? in case you havent fucking noticed GUYS WEAR MAKEUP, EVERYONE ACTS WEIRD, "don't be overly gay" as opposed to "overly straight".. i dont know what rock you been under, but STRAIGHT people act more gay than gays do at times.

Replied on Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 9:18am
  73. total agree!!
    people should go to the therapist and GET OVER IT!
    its just a few harsh words. you will live through it!

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:49pm
  74. and those with already unstable minds? are they just suppose to deal with it? Those who already deal with depression, chemical imbalances, or if they person just doesn't have much of a social support system? What would you do? Have you ever been in this situation where the bullying was non stop everyday of you life? Judging by your comment, i would say you have never experienced anything close to what these victims have. Somethings can simply be brushed off or forgotten, somethings will stay with you for the rest of your life. You need a reality check.

Replied on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 11:08pm
  75. YOU ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD IDONTCARE. You cant solve your problems by hiding in the closet. you should be ashamed of yourself

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 2:42pm
  76. this is america. everyone here is here because they wanted freedom and those 3 rights: life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I am sick of my friends, family, or just anybody getting picked on to this point. We all need to start realizing our actions cause a chain reaction. Do these bullies want this blood on there hands? Why on earth would you want to make someone feel that awful. I almost lost my brother to suicide, I refuse to let it happen to anyone i know, or anyone i know i can help.

Get your act together America, because right now… I am ashamed.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 3:51pm
  77. We had a teacher who dealt with kids who picked on other kids in a very effective manner. She was a scary bitch. She discovered that one of the girls who no one would talk to was giving out candy in an attempt to make friends. Other kids took the candy, but still wouldn't talk to her or befriend her. When the psycho teacher found out, she went ballistic. She sent the girl home to her parents and then screamed at each one of us until everyone was crying. She made everyone feel like shit because we took candy from someone we refused to talk to or play with. Everyone had to pay back the girl for all the candy they had taken (the girl had apparently stolen $20 from her mom so she could buy the candy). This was in grade 7. I don't know if the same would work in high school, but it worked in public school. People were nicer to that girl from then on. Because everyone was called out for being douchebags, made to feel bad for being douchebags, and then forced to make amends.

Parents of bullies don't care for the most part, because they are the ones who created the bullies. Teachers and school admin need to do the work, make it a priority.

And I know that gay teen suicides are what are being talked about here, but hello, bullying is NOT just a problem for gay teens. It's a problem for kids across all sexual orientations, class, gender, race, religion. Kids who are perceived as gay are bullied, fat kids are bullied, kids with bad acne are bullied, kids whose parents are too poor to dress them properly are bullied… etc. Addressing the gay issue is part of the solution, but not THE solution. I was bullied not so much for being gay (I didn't particularly look gay or act gay); the random "faggot" references toward me were merely a small part of the bullies' arsenal. I was picked on because I was poor and had bad acne all of a sudden, and shy, and a new kid, and some assholes found a great target to help offset their insecurities. And teachers, dammit, turned the other way. They actually told my parents that *I* had difficulties interacting with other kids. DUH… didn't you see that idiot–you know, the one you flunked two years in a row–knock me on the head with his workboot, in class?

This makes me angry, because all these years later, nothing has changed. I was fortunate I believed in God and that everything would get better, eventually. Kids who kill themselves have lost sight of that, they just want to escape the intense pain of being ostracized and ridiculed. Anyone who doesn't understand that needs to be still and take a deep look at their capacity for empathy, and possibly seek a psychiatrist, because they must have a personality disorder.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 4:00pm
  78. As a retired middle school educator, I don't believe the administration was unaware.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 4:52pm
  79. Kids, hang in there. I PROMISE, it does get better. Stick around and see. Get support where you can — even if just through the internet. God loves you just the way he made you — just the way you are.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 6:32pm
  80. Two extra things bother me about this:

1). The mass media JUST NOW started really reporting on the gay teen suicides, because they needed a story. Not because they cared. If the media cared, gay teen suicides, which is NOT NEW by the way, would have been brought to mass attention earlier. Because of these stories just now coming to fruition, people are shocked- "OMG THIS IS SO TRAGIC THAT HIS KEEPS HAPPENING!" (which it is). But its not new, people. Its not new. Look at the statistics for gay teens committing suicide. The teen suicide rate is already high, but gay teens are 6 times more likely to commit suicide than straight teens. Now that the media knows they are on a roll, they will continue reporting on gay teen suicides. Again, not out of compassion, but because its all about the $$.

Don't be manipulated into thinking its suddenly a crisis. Its ALWAYS been a crisis, and it makes me so angry that people are just now realizing the seriousness of gay bullying in High School.

2). More teens will commit suicide because of the media attention. Its pure cowardice and selfishness.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 6:43pm
  81. Again? AGAIN?!! Anyone going to do anything about this?! No? Oh… ok.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 7:31pm
  82. Omg this is horrible! My dads 43, when he was 10 and in 5th grade there was a fat boy who killed himself by hanging himself with a belt in his closet! He was bullied because of his weight!

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 9:22pm
  83. Bully – Someone whom society favors because he exhibits selfish, cruel, extroverted genes which will enable to him to successfully negotiate the adult world. Society pretends to hate him, but does nothing, as if we approve of his behavior. Contrary to popular belief, bullies sometimes ARE successful later in life, while their victims are not. After all, it is strength humans value and strength that rules us. Don't get the wrong idea, just because society favor these sick sons of cunts, dicks and bitches doesn't mean what they do is right.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 9:25pm
  84. Truly sad.

Posted on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 11:48pm
  85. If the kids could grow to understand that they don't have to put up with this kinda shit. then maybe we all can do something about it. iblame on getting out of school and then out of the navy and going to school to school to talk about how bullying can really affect how someone thinks and acts.

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 1:20pm
  86. I am so dam tried of the schools saying that they never heard of the bullying or no one has ever report it or a teacher has never witness it… My son was bullied from 4th grade to 10th grade until I finally let him quit school since the dam schools didn’t want to do anything about it… They even tried lighting him on fire! That one was the last straw…. I was told to leave the school grounds cause I went after the dam bullies that tried to set him on fire… Since the dam school and the super didn’t want to do anything…. My son were reported at least once a week if not more… For 7 dam years! The cops were even called and still NOTHING!

So who the hell are these kids suppost to turn to or talk to? It ain’t the dam schools that is for sure!

This happen at Magnolia Middle School and Joppatowne High School in Maryland. And it more than likely still going on there too!

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 5:18pm
  87. @joy Lewis… My son was reported at least once a week if not more for 7 long years and still nothing… The day the bullies tried to set my son on fire and All I got from the admin of the school was ” what do you want us to do? His Mom took off on him and it’s his poor old grandmother trying to take care of him.”. How is that my son fault?

The admin is lucky I didn’t kick their asses! I even tried to get the local new involved but since my son didn’t kill himself they didn’t want any thing to do with the story! I got him out of that school when he turn 16.. Old enough to quit… Instead of finding him dead by his own hands…

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 5:31pm
  88. i was severely bullied throughout school, attempted suicide twice. the teachers and principle didnt care, even most the students didnt care. hell even most those socalled "friends" didnt care. only one person cared and stopped me both times. she stood up for me and still to this day we are still best of friends, each there to pick the other up when they fall. i not only blame the schools, school systems & teachers but i also blame those so called "friends" who dont know the kid until after their dead. you know the ones "he/she was a friend and people bullied him/her everyday"

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 2:11am
  89. I am sorry to hear that some peoples fear of someone different than him/herself was allowed to be acted out on you. In any situation that is unjust. Not all peoples lives are the same. Just because you "survived" it doesn't mean others will do the same just because you did. Maybe you got mean instead of compassionate. Perhaps you learned nothing from your experience to make the world a better place. But you are still alive to see a change in this mean and self righteous attitude toward those who did no harm to deserve this. Maybe you are now responsible for becoming more sensitive and outspoken for the victims of the bullying because you were strong enough to survive.

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 at 5:50am
  90. Brandon Bitner was NOT gay so let it go. Even if he was and didn't telly anyone that's nobody's business. It's pretty sad that he's gone and people are still judging him. Jeez let the kid rest in peace.

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 6:46pm
  91. It seems that boys have a harder time with anti0gay bullying. I have never seen a report on a girl committing suicide because she was teased fir being a lesbian (not saying it doesn’t happen,I’ve just never heard of it happening). I’m a Pansexual girl, and I was never teased for it. I can’t explain why, but it seems women being lesbian is a little more accepted than men being gay. I think this is due to society making it such a big deal that men have to be masculine, and there better not be ANYTHING feminine about them, or they’re accused of being gay (ads if homosexuality is a bad thing). I don’t understand it, and my heart goes out to these kids who are teased everyday for being nothing but themselves! People don’t understand that you are born straight, gay, bi, pan, whatever you are. We are not looking for a cure, only love and acceptance!

Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 6:56pm
  92. Not again…

School administrators need to get with the program and know the real dangers. This still happens, and it happens in damn near every school around the world. They all see it happen,but they rarely intervene. Hell, everybody laughed at me and my friend when we did an anti-bullying campaign for our graduation project. People scoffed and made jokes about the pamplets we handed out,and a few of our posters were vandelized and ripped to pieces. I think even the teachers didn’t seem to care either. For administrators,teachers and principals to say they try to help;are lying through their teeth. The other problem is that schools are filled to capacity with hearless and immature people,who think ‘bullycide’ is a joke. They will never learn or care at all,and it ususally only clicks in their stupid heads until its too late and somebody takes their lives. Schools need to stay on their toes and start looking out for their students.

I’m an LGBT student, but I’m still in the closet. My heart goes out to those who are teased and bullied daily because of who they are. Please,if you’re reading this; just know there is nothing wrong with being who you are. You don’t need to change for anybody, people who hurt you are the ones that need to change. If you think that nobody cares, that’s not true. There’s a whole group of people just like you,who will accept you and love you regardless. Things will get better. You just need to hang in there to see it. When school’s over, you can decide who you hang out with. You won’t have to be around these bullies anymore.

@sickandtired – This country is raising insensitive little a**holes, who are being taught to hate others because they’re different. Not because they are “sensitive”. And everybody cracks at some point. It just takes fine tuning and the knowledge of right buttons to push somebody over the edge;and kids these days are pushing it too many times.

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 at 6:01pm
  93. My heart goes out to Brandon and his family. Being open about being a lesbian in my high school, thankfully I have not experienced the bullying that he and others have had to go through. If I could take even half the bullying that all of the kids who have committed suicide have been subjected to, just so it would spare their lives, I would do it in a heartbeat. My heart goes out to all whose lives have been affected by suicide and/bullying, and I continuously hope and pray for a better world.

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 6:39pm