Mormon church announces support of SLC gay rights ordinance

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Temple SquareIn a rare move, the LDS Church announced Tuesday night its support of Salt Lake City’s proposed ordinances protecting gay and transgender people from discrimination in housing and employment, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.

Hours later, the City Council approved the measures unanimously.

“The church supports these ordinances,” said spokesman Michael Otterson, “because they are fair and reasonable and do not do violence to the institution of marriage.”

They also are entirely consistent, he said, with church teachings.

The move was hailed by leaders of Utah’s gay community — some of them stunned — who called it groundbreaking policy that they hope will set the stage for statewide legislation.

The anti-discrimination ordinances, expected to win unanimous support by year’s end from the council would make it illegal to fire or evict based on sexuality.

Tuesday’s announcement follows more than two months of secret meetings between midlevel LDS officials and five of Utah’s most prominent gay leaders.

The LDS Church sees the announcement as an olive branch to the gay community after months of growing tension over the church-backed Proposition 8 vote that reversed gay marriage in California , and the kiss-in protests that took place after LDS security detained two gay men on the church’s Main Street Plaza after they were seen hugging and kissing.

Full story at The Salt Lake Tribune.

Archives: , , , ,

Filed under: Utah

1. Donny and Marie have been working the meetings. Thanks

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:14pm
  2. Something be fishy…. me thinks.

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:17pm
  3. Sorry but.I am still having a LOT of trouble believing this. I feel like there's some kind of plan behind it……

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:41pm
  4. Quite a shift in mood, don't ya think? I'm not willing to jump to 'fishy' quite yet, but it's definitely interesting.

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 10:48pm
  5. they want everyone to take the bird in the hand. Now people will back down on pressuring the state for gay marriage or domestic partnership rights.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 12:29am
  6. About time, LOL! :)

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 4:03am
  7. Don"t trust them. It"s a strategy. It's a ploy.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 6:55am
  8. Suspicious…..

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 7:02am
  9. hmmm….(?)

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 7:58am
  10. o.o Lies

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 8:24am
  11. I'd have to agree, that's REALLY suspicious. I don't like that. I mean yay for the positive change, but… there's GOT to be a catch.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 2:53am
  12. I'd have to agree, that's REALLY suspicious. I don't like that. I mean yay for the positive change, but… there's GOT to be a catch.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 9:53am
  13. I'd have to agree, that's REALLY suspicious. I don't like that. I mean yay for the positive change, but… there's GOT to be a catch.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 9:53am
  14. There is a catch,somewhere. It's to drastic a change

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 2:31pm
  15. "…a group of 25 middle class Salt Lake City women left written interviews and an analysis of their covert lesbian community during the 1920s and 1930s to a historian." from Gay America by Linas Alsenas.

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 5:59pm
  16. Why would it be fishy. They didn’t support gay marriage because it went against their beliefs, however they support people not being discriminated in the workplace or with their housing because it doesn’t not go against their beliefs.

Posted on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 2:58pm