With White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki quarantining at home with COVID-19, President Joe Biden got a chance to smack down rightwing misinformation coming from Fox News reporter Peter Doocy.
Taking questions from reporters yesterday, Biden called on Doocy, who asked about a Wall Street Journal report from last week that said that Biden was going to try to offer $450,000 in federal money to migrant families who were separated from their children under the Trump administration.
Get the Daily Brief
The news you care about, reported on by the people who care about you:
“Do you think that that might incentivize more people to come over illegally?” Doocy asked.
Biden wasn’t having it: “If you guys keep sending that garbage out, yeah. But it’s not true.”
“So this is a garbage report?” Doocy asked.
“Yeah. $450,000 per person, is that what you’re saying?” Biden asked, and Doocy said that’s what he read.
“That’s not going to happen,” said Biden.
The Wall Street Journal report has made waves all week, with Republicans accusing Biden of giving taxpayer money to people the party has spent decades attacking.
“They’ve now heard $450,000 and they’re not slowing down,” Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) tweeted with a link to an article about Latin American migrants this weekend. She was implying that latino parents are so selfish that they would intentionally try to get their children taken away and lost in the U.S. on the possibility of a payout.
They’ve now heard $450,000 and they’re not slowing down. https://t.co/0nWInTkwzg
— Lauren Boebert (@laurenboebert) October 31, 2021
“Most people in this country just give,” Fox News’s Tucker Carlson said. “Foreigners with no respect for our laws or systems, meanwhile, are hitting the jackpot.”
“A million dollars per family for illegal aliens at exactly the moment that American families are becoming noticeably poorer by the day,” increasing the amount because he, for some reason, assumed that every immigrant family lost two children due to the Trump administration’s family separation policy.
The Trump administration intentionally separated families from their children at the U.S.-Mexico border and then misled Congress about the separation policy. Child development experts said that the policy was a form of child abuse.
Multiple lawsuits have been launched over the draconian policy and the damage it caused the children. Hundreds of children remain separated from their families today, despite the Biden administration’s efforts to reunite them.