Kevin Spacey is taking a break from acting to seek treatment on the heels of multiple accusations of sexual assault and misconduct.
“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” his rep said in a statement to E! News late Wednesday night. “No other information is available at this time.”
Spacey was recently accused of making sexual advances on actor Anthony Rapp when he was 26 and Rapp was just 14. His statement, in which he said he did not recall the incident but owed Rapp in apology if true, was criticized for attempting to deflect the allegations by including his long awaited coming out as gay.
Since then, others have come forward to allege similar unwanted advances, including filmmaker Tony Montana, and a bartender who wished to remain anonymous. There are also reports of the actor behaving in a predatory manner during his time as creative director at London’s The Old Vic theater.
As a result of the allegations, Netflix’s as indefinitely suspended production of “House of Cards,” and Spacey will not be receiving a special international Emmy he was to receive next month.
Time will tell how the situation plays out surrounding his upcoming work that has already been produced. Gore, in which he will play writer Gore Vidal, is still set to come out in December.