2016 was the year that “transgender” crossed from the unique and rare into topical conversations across the country, and around the world.
It wasn’t the usual suspects — Caitlyn Jenner, Laverne Cox and the Republicans who enacted North Carolina’s House Bill 2 — that propelled gender identity into the mainstream, but a number of outstanding, unsung heroes, individuals whose actions changed the way trans people are seen and heard.
The top ten transgender stories of 2016 prominently feature bathrooms (duh), selfies (but of course), and the danger of self-harm — which is not unexpected, given that trans people consider or attempt suicide at a rate far higher than the general population. But many of the top ten also feature hope, resilience, and perseverance against adversity.
So which ones made the list? Check them out below, in order of popularity.
- This trans man devised the perfect way to tell women why he’s in their bathroom, by LGBTQ Nation staff.
- This lawmaker thought he was in the presence of a transgender woman. So he threatened to wave his penis at her, by LGBTQ Nation staff.
- Pope Francis denounces transgender people as ‘annihilation of man,’ by the Associated Press.
- This bill awards $2,500 to anyone who catches a transgender person in the bathroom, by Tim Murphy.
- Virginia lawmakers: ‘Adults must check children’s private parts before entering restroom,’ by LGBTQ Nation staff.
- Secret deodorant’s amazing new trans-themed ad: ‘No wrong way to be a woman,’ by Dan Tracer.
- Trans guy captures his transition by snapping a selfie every day for 3 years, by LGBTQ Nation staff.
- Mother sues hospital for repeatedly calling suicidal trans son a girl, by Jeff Taylor.
- Transgender man sums up the insanity of North Carolina’s new bill with one brilliant tweet, by LGBTQ Nation staff.
- Elder trans comedian slays judges on America’s Got Talent, by Bil Browning.