It’s been a big year for the bisexual community. Studies are showing that young people are increasingly identifying as something other than gay or straight (including the majority of the LGBTQ community). And visibility is increasing with the help additional out TV actors and characters. But with that visibility comes the increased awareness that bisexual folks also experience homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia (#6 is a reminder of this) all while facing other health disparities, including higher rates of depression and domestic and sexual violence. Still, many people are confused about what bisexuality even means, especially in a time when gender binaries are blurring (see #7 for answers to that question).
Here are the top stories on bisexuality or bisexual people published on LGBTQ Nation this year, starting with the most-read. And while these stories didn’t make the top 10, congrats to Fifth Harmony’s Lauren Juaregui for coming out as bisexual this year, to bisexual Oregon Gov. Kate Brown for being the first elected out LGBTQ governor and coming out as a survivor of domestic violence, and to bisexual boxer Nicola Adams on being named Outsports’ female athlete of the year.
What were your favorite bi+ stories of the year?
1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star Sara Ramirez comes out as bisexual and queer
2. 13-year-old comes out as bisexual in the most adorable, nerdy way
3. Actress Aubrey Plaza says she’s bisexual, crushes on Natasha Lyonne
4. Actress Stephanie Beatriz comes out as bisexual on Twitter
5. Actress Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual
6. British bisexual teen gaybashed on last day of school
7. What’s the difference between bisexuality and pansexuality?
8. Bobby Brown: Whitney Houston was bisexual
9. Research confirms: Bisexual men make the best lovers
10. TV’s lovable new bisexual character is bucking all the stereotypes