NEW YORK — A New York man died and his newlywed husband was critically injured after trying to escape a fire that erupted in their high-rise Manhattan apartment building Sunday morning.
Daniel McClung, 27, and Michael Todd Cohen, 32, were found in a stairwell near the 31st floor of the 42-story condominium building, suffering from smoke inhalation and burns after the three-alarm fire erupted more than 10 stories below.
McClung was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died, reported WNBC-TV. Cohen was in serious but stable condition on Sunday night.
Get the Daily Brief
The news you care about, reported on by the people who care about you:
Neighbors said the couple married last July.
McClung was a playwright and fiction writer who worked for the Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre, according to his online profile.
More than 200 firefighters responded to put out the blaze, and it took nearly two hours to get it under control.
New York Fire Department officials said Monday a faulty extension cord caused the fire.